Is everything getting more OP?

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
Having just played Gran Canaria and looked up the new CS I started playing a second game and hit this tile
It just feels like everything is getting easier... but I guess the AI gets the same benefits
upload_2020-5-23_13-49-25.png

Nah, its actually harder, but not because of this wonder. I’ve had cleo as neighbor spawn with fountain of youth and giant’s causeway. Talk about pain

Yields have noticeably gotten very high. I’m often restarting games because there’s a natural wonder too close. Campus adjacencies are also a problem - really hard to find bad campus spots.

I recently ran into a game where I had a perpetual Dark Age in Apocalyptic Mode.
I must of been doing something wrong though.
Perhaps I should of sacrificed units into volcanoes when asked to do so.

It's part of Firaxis' marketing strategy.
Most of the civilizations/features that are strong/OP are in the optional DLCs.

I agree with this, but I feel like the vanilla Civs are still some of the strongest. Rome, Greece and Japan are imho some of the most consistent and very viable both peaceful and for dom.

incidentally, I also think that firaxis often has no clue what is strong/optimal, or really consider fast win times or deity level play. they often design horribly week civs and I do not think it's intentional.

Those yields though...

In the case of a mythical city filled with gold I think a little extravagant bonus is acceptable. That said: this does look a bit over the top, one might even start a war over those tiles (which does sound interesting)

On the subject of ‘power creep’ for newly added civs: Personally can’t be bothered, I think it’s a good thing some civs are considered stronger. If all would be equal you’d have a very boring roster I think.

Also, as soon as we have some more NFP-‘OP’-civs you’d be able to fill a map with them. No more weak vanilla competition like Rome, Greece, Japan or Germany right :)

It's part of Firaxis' marketing strategy.
Most of the civilizations/features that are strong/OP are in the optional DLCs.

And it is popular. I lurk on Reddit and the civilization section is thread after thread of Petra yields. It isn't just that. There are also lots of threads about ridiculous amounts of resources when using mods.

I loathe the lack of balance between civilizations as I see things as someone who used to play lots Civ IV multiplayer games. At least it does mean that the different civilizations are different in a meaningful way.

I loathe the lack of balance between civilizations as I see things as someone who used to play lots Civ IV multiplayer games
While I love the variation... because I like to play the crap ones as a challenge

And it is popular. I lurk on Reddit and the civilization section is thread after thread of Petra yields. It isn't just that. There are also lots of threads about ridiculous amounts of resources when using mods.

I loathe the lack of balance between civilizations as I see things as someone who used to play lots Civ IV multiplayer games. At least it does mean that the different civilizations are different in a meaningful way.

The reddit algorhithm is designed to come up with lowest-common-denominator stuff, so it's not really surprising when most of the content of a sub is the same thing over and over. Reddit is not a bad website, but most of the big subs simply suck.

Playing Japan, Small Conts, Large, Immortal. Got a terrible Coastal Start, no freshwater, food or production. Gilgabro and Nubia. Squeezed out a settler. Looked grim.

And then I found Patiti next to a Volcano. Jesus. The yields were nuts.

Settled two Cities next to Patiti. Nabbed ToA with chops. Mines. Lubermills. Natural Phil. Farms. Feudalism. Struggling to get Eurekas everything going so fast. So much gold. Smashed Gilgabro. Currently smashing Nubia. Cities flipping all over the place.

Yields are crazy. No idea what’s the right balance. Two years ago it felt like there was no production and early culture and science were tricky (assuming you didn’t spam campuses). Glad IZs and Lumbermills got buffed. But now it feels like I’m drowning in yields.

I think it’s the combination of disasters giving yields, all the natural wonders that buff tiles, and easy adjacencies for campuses. All the Petras don’t help either, plus all the improvements you can then pile on them.

Last edited:
I'm having a little fun with Simon this game.
Slow Start and unfocused but I managed to get Kabul and Lahore and Kabul under my control.
Actually, I hard built 7 settlers from the Capital with no chops lol?
Decided to put Warlords Throne into Maracaibo.
I decided to levy Kabul and Lahore since they had so many swords and other units.
A couple X-Bows from Lahore which should be nice.
I have a Natural Wonder out of my reach for the time being near the Capital.
It has 5 and 10 Science Yield Ocean Tiles but I can't even locate it cause I don't have the tech.
Anyways I dumped 1425 Gold into these two CS's for 14 units.
Plus a few of my own.
Figure I can take out Khmer somewhat quick.
I guess that is a little OP.
I'm on Apocalyptic Mode but haven't had too much damage yet.
Only two Floods and a Hurricane.

Khmer asked me why my units were so close to his borders?
I replied: We are just passing through :)

Spoiler Turn 90 :
levy.jpg

Top Bottom