1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

is there a way to sign up for Beta Testing

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by gadgetfreaky, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Solver

Solver Civ4/5 beta tester

You're also automatically disqualified if you've asked to be a beta tester more than once per ten thousand posts.

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Chieftain

Yeah, it would stand to reason that they want people that can cooperate without resorting to such things.

3. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

I think you've mistaken 'press events' with 'beta testing'.

4. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Glad I've just hit the 2k posts mark, didn't use up both my chances yet. :lol:

EDIT: damn, didn't see the "ten" with the "thousand". Well, there goes my candidature. :lol:

5. temprus

temprus Chieftain

Hmm, then I only have two chances:

1) Acquire a time machine and start under a "new" account.
    2) Spam posts until count is high enough, which in turn gets me banned long before offer is ever made.

:( :D

Can I vote this in as an option: Owns all version of Civilization that are available on Steam? ;)

6. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

That probably isn't that rare around here. (;

But Post Quality would probably matter a lot more if they were (in a theoretical scenario) looking around the forums, searching for more people to add to their team.

Posts that show an understanding of game mechanics, design, balance, etc.

7. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

As far as I'm aware, in past civ releases the credits have listed two people with substantial YouTube accounts as part of the beta testing team - MadDjinn and Ohmwrecker, both of whose YouTube popularity likely followed rather than preceded their testing role. Ohmwrecker barely does any civ stuff on his channel, or even anything in the same genre.

8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

I've heard that one can achieve beta testing status with genuine enthusiasm for the game and its content plus a few thousand posts demonstrating good knowledge of the game at a high profile location. I'm pretty sure that there are beta testers lurking among us now. They would have to keep a low profile to avoid being harassed between now and October. I am more of an OT forum fan than one to hang out regularly in the Civ forums, but I do know that lots of our regular members have the credentials to be asked to beta test. I'd bet that the HOF and GOTM crowds are chock full of testers. They are just really quiet about it.

9. bkn42

bkn42 Chieftain

It got Quill18 a hands on preview too of Civ 6, which is something. No clue if he's a beta tester, but I wouldn't be surprised.

10. Ryika

I would be surprised if he has time for doing in-depth beta-testing with the amount of youtube- and twitch-content that he does. ^^

11. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Chieftain

I would also assume they would try to get a varied sample size on skill level. After all, most customers are not pro players, so they need the cheftain and prince players in addition of deity players.

12. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

They do have a team, there's no doubt about it.

They even have a name but I can't recall.

I remember this around the time Civ 5 and God and Kings were being released.

13. CaptainUnknown

CaptainUnknown Chieftain

Believe it or not, testers do not need to be pro players to be effective. What you want are attention to detail and those that like to test and experiment every component. You of course want those testers to have the technical writing talent to document everything as well. Handing beta-access over to a pro is nice for testing the difficulty I guess, but a good team of testers will have much different goals than simply just beating the game as fast as possible.

14. m15a

m15a Chieftain

The preview is a different thing, though. Of course the preview build is going to be shown to people that will be best able to publicize their preview of the game (whether it's through a YouTube video or online blog or whatever). That's the whole point of the preview build.

It's like if you become a book reviewer, you'll be given review copies of books. No secret there. (Well, outside of the under the table deals like mentioned earlier in the thread.)

15. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

People mistake "beta-testing" for "playing-games". Beta Testing is FAR from that.

Often, Beta-Testing is exhausting and repetitive task because you need to test if this interaction causes desired error.

16. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Chieftain

Oh, I do believe it.:)

17. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

This. 90% of the people who say they want to beta test really just want to play a free demo. Actual beta testing of an unfinished game is boring and frustrating. Part of the reason public beta testing is so rare is because these 90% will expect a demo instead of a beta, be put off by fact that the game is unfinished, and post bad things about the game online.

The only reason you'd want to risk this is if you have a need for large-scale testing, which is usually only necessary for online multiplayer games, and even then, you want to wait until the game is in a very polished, finished condition.

18. Ryika

That really depends on the Beta Test though. With Civ having Autoplay I'd assume a lot of the frustrating parts of Betatesting are probably already out of the way, most of what remains are things like UI-Functionality, Gameplay-Functionality, AI-Player-Interaction and - which is probably the most fun part towards the end - Balancing.

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

There is probably another factor. You probably have to be recommended by a beta tester in good standing.

20. CaptainUnknown

CaptainUnknown Chieftain

Auto play is good but the AI follow the rules. I agree the UI is a big part of it but so is finding ways to break the rules and crashing the game. I am thinking specifically about the get pantheon before you settle a city causes a crash bug.