Is this demo game dead?

Yes, I see it would take a conscientious person to keep it up. One for the too hard basket, I think.

On the summary thread, most of our DP's this game have been new. A politely worded request probably would have been sufficient to get it updated. I actually forgot about it until it was mentioned here. :blush:

I still check the forum from time to time, but honestly I have other concerns on my mind. Once you join, it's hard to quit, but once you've quit.. it's hard to get back in.

Sweetacshon said:
I've got to say that the "legal wrangling" was a real turn off... there was a time, perhaps more than one time, where it had spread to almost every thread, and that's simply not fun. You may say it is an important point, but it simply is not important to a DG newby. I don't know how you'd eliminate that, but I think the more senior members, so to speak, of the DG should be able to direct their passions into something more constructive than month long slanging matches.

The other main problem recently has been the speed of play, and granted this is mostly due to participation rates but there should be at least a TC a week, and if instructions are not up, then the DP just decides what to do. A paragraph or so on each TC kept in a stickied thread might also help newbies or returners get up to speed rather than having to trawl thru the "working" threads.

That's generally it - legal wrangling (also the back to school part). Back in the old days, we tried to keep it at 10 turns per turnchat, no matter what. Citizens and elected officials were encouraged to attend the turnchat - if the DP didn't show up (in the first 10 minutes of the scheduled TC), the next person in the Chain of Command would be the DP.

Chieftess said:
That's generally it - legal wrangling (also the back to school part). Back in the old days, we tried to keep it at 10 turns per turnchat, no matter what. Citizens and elected officials were encouraged to attend the turnchat - if the DP didn't show up (in the first 10 minutes of the scheduled TC), the next person in the Chain of Command would be the DP.

Well, Chieftess, for some of us the legal wrangling was the only thing that kept us here. It's a shame that you still don't see how it is the turn chats that drive people from this game. It seems no matter who much effort we put into decision making in the forums, these decisisions are routinely disregarded during the turn chats.

Let's play the next DG without turn chats and you'll see that we will be able to keep participation going.

Well, Chieftess, for some of us the legal wrangling was the only thing that kept us here. It's a shame that you still don't see how it is the turn chats that drive people from this game. It seems no matter who much effort we put into decision making in the forums, these decisisions are routinely disregarded during the turn chats.

Let's play the next DG without turn chats and you'll see that we will be able to keep participation going.
As much as I hate to say it donsig has a bit of a point. Some people found interest in the judicial twist of the game. I never really cared for it much, but I can still see how some people may want no part in the decision making, but love to be on the bench. Guess is a matter of interests.

So I will bump this...

Elections are over and tomorrow starts the next term. I guess with ony a handful of offices filled and not officially then the game is dead. I would have liked to run for an office but with my impending move 1/2 of october may be civ-less. I think its time we tossed the CoL and figure out how to finish this game with the 4 or 5 of us left.

I'll be president, and I plan on playing some tc's myself, and let the dp-pool play some. If we just have some general instructions about what to research and what to do, we'll be allright.

I think its time we tossed the CoL and figure out how to finish this game with the 4 or 5 of us left.
See my other post.
nstead of those other choices some of us should band together and start a hostile fascist takeover of the goverment from the inside. That would make things more interesting and help generate more interest

I am with you George...

however since there is so few of us it may be a bloodless revolution/coup.

It's looking a little grim - though I'm not pointing the finger as I've been unable to post for 6 days and have missed all the noms.

I disagree with Donsig about the turnchats - if people have been leaving because of this, they haven't really spoken up about it (certainly not compared to the number of people who have complained about what they saw as excessive legality). Donsig has been the biggest complainer about the TC and he's still here.

I've been here for about 7 months and I can only think of 3 occasions when we've had problems with DPs ignoring instructions. We've had plenty of minor mistakes which DPs have admitted to, but no-one has got upset.

Oldbus said:
I've been here for about 7 months and I can only think of 3 occasions when we've had problems with DPs ignoring instructions. We've had plenty of minor mistakes which DPs have admitted to, but no-one has got upset.

I don't think it's even been 3 times. There has been only one real incident I can think of offhand, and it featured one of our longest tenured citizens getting upset with another veteran.

I'm seriously thinking off changing the governement into 5 or 6 positions.

President
Science
Minister of Interior (+Governors as deputies)
Censor
Secretary of War
Secretary of State

I think we should be able to finish the game succesfully with these positions, maybe ad a Justice.

Why don't you just go with 1 office:

President - The President is responsible for coordinating the efforts of all citizens.

Honestly, I don't think there are enough active citizens to warrant anything more. This will allow the more active citizens to do more.

-- Ravensfire

I just want to throw this out...

I would have run for an office however my interent is uncertain till teh last week of october so instead of being missing for 10 to 14 days. I chose to just be a citizen this term. I hope to be back around october20.

ravensfire said:
Why don't you just go with 1 office:

President - The President is responsible for coordinating the efforts of all citizens.

Honestly, I don't think there are enough active citizens to warrant anything more. This will allow the more active citizens to do more.

-- Ravensfire

That would look too much like a fascist take-over, wouldn't it? :lol:

By the way, are you interested in a position this term?

dutchfire said:
That would look too much like a fascist take-over, wouldn't it? :lol:

By the way, are you interested in a position this term?

Bah - who cares what it looks like, is it the best thing for the game? If interest returns, then the President can create new positions as needed. It's a smaller, more dynamic system.

A position this term? Doubtfully, I'm a wee bit on the busy side right now (as in, swamped). I'm pretty firmly in lurker mode right now.

-- Ravensfire

Top Bottom