Jabarto's Map Conversion Center

Affores made one, just downloaded it.

Seafaring Modmod

I was also wondering wether it would be sensible to have ocean plots around the south of africa to stop europe sailing to india without the suez canal untill later ships?

Sorry I've been AWOL for a while. :blush: Yes, I think this is a good idea.

By the way, I recently found out about your "alternate history" project for GEM. Do you mind if I lift that idea for ROM? It won't be exactly the same as yours - or even all that similar - but I would like to keep it plausible and you've done a good job of that in your discussions.

Well i have been doing a tilemap and all my planning is non-mod specific as i was planning to add it to RoM after and if you would help with that it would be awesome. I will need the newest GEM updated to RoM though as that has some new changes to the map. I will have to think about things like religions a bit differently to because i want to add Orthodox and Paganism which don't exist in RoM or their modmods but are in the download database. For now though Judaism can represent Orthodox and Islam represent Pagan.

Well i have been doing a tilemap and all my planning is non-mod specific as i was planning to add it to RoM after and if you would help with that it would be awesome. I will need the newest GEM updated to RoM though as that has some new changes to the map. I will have to think about things like religions a bit differently to because i want to add Orthodox and Paganism which don't exist in RoM or their modmods but are in the download database. For now though Judaism can represent Orthodox and Islam represent Pagan.

I've got the latest GEM converted, but haven't uploaded it yet. And I don't know if I can be of much help in your project, but I'll try.

Anyway, a question for all of you. What's the biggest map you can run on ROM without MAFs? I'me making a 160x256 Earth map for default Civ 4 and I'm not sure if that would be simply too huge for a mod of this size.

Alright guys, now that Civ 4 has once again enslaved my soul, I think I'm going to try scenario making again. No, really. I mean it this time. :lol:

Anyway, due to the fact that WorldBuilder is an abomination of an editing tool that never should have been excreted in the first place, there's a problem with religions being preplaced - I think I mentioned this once before - whereby, for example, if you Buddhism on a map, then the first person to research the tech that would normally grant it will found a new religion, even though it shouldn't. What this means is that you have to place all of the relgions on the map right from the beginnning.

So, reality dictates that I can't do any scenarios much earlier than 700 AD, as that's around when Islam, the last of the ROM religions, was founded. The good news is that JEELEN has an excellent 750 AD scenario that I plan on converting for ROM. Or if you guys have any ideas for fantasy/alternate reality scenarios, feel free to pitch them here and I might be able to make them.

Double posting for fun and profit.

I've got an idea for an alternate history now. The idea is that Rome accepted a ceasefire with Carthage after Cannae, and Carthage was able to dominate the sea lanes. This prevented Rome from expanding East beyond Byzantion, and the events that led to the formation of the Empire and the subsequent split between East and West never happened. Carthage, on the other hand, continued its exploration of the Atlantic, eventually traveling up the Niger river and founding colonies in sub-saharan Africa.

Meanwhile, the collapse of the Seleucid Empire allowed the Persians to gobble up the former Hellensitic lands, including Egypt and Anatolia. They share borders with both Rome and Carthage, but are maintaining a very tenuous peace with them. Since the Persians were not weakened by wars with Rome, the Arabs were not able to launch their conquests, although their religion spread all rapidly the same, and Mecca is still a very important city.

Finally, in the 5th century, Rome managed to repel the Huns and barbarian hordes, and has survived to the current date of 750 AD, albeit not without heavy sacrifice; they lost most of their northern territories, particularly Britain, which the Celts managed to reacquire. But the soon-to-commence Viking raids will throw the north into even more chaos, and may allow Rome the chance to retake its former lands.

Asia, on the other hand, is largely dominated by the Tang Dynasty in China and the Pala Empire in India, much as was in real life. This is largely because I don't know much about Asian history and couldn't think of anything interesting for them.

Now, this whole situation, as you might have inferred, is a bit of a stretch. It's not likely that a Carthaginian peace would have lasted beyond Hannibal's lifetime, much less any of the other stuff I mentioned. But still, it's the best I can do. :p I've already begun work on it.

Sounds awesome to say at the least. Will definately give it a try whenever it comes out.

Sounds awesome to say at the least. Will definately give it a try whenever it comes out.

Thanks, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. This is my first time working on a scenario. :blush:

In addition to the scenario, I"m working on an 80x250 Eurasia map that I'll update for ROM once I've released it and gotten some criticism for it.

I've got the latest GEM converted, but haven't uploaded it yet. And I don't know if I can be of much help in your project, but I'll try.

Anyway, a question for all of you. What's the biggest map you can run on ROM without MAFs? I'me making a 160x256 Earth map for default Civ 4 and I'm not sure if that would be simply too huge for a mod of this size.

Get Vista/Xp to allow more then 3Gbs of Ram to one program then do the 3Gb switch thing for the Civ 4 exe.

If you just search those terms you can find the guide on here how do to it. I havent had a MAF since doing it yesterday.

Im able to play on a Gigantic RoM Map now :crazyeye:

Get Vista/Xp to allow more then 3Gbs of Ram to one program then do the 3Gb switch thing for the Civ 4 exe.

If you just search those terms you can find the guide on here how do to it. I havent had a MAF since doing it yesterday.

Im able to play on a Gigantic RoM Map now :crazyeye:

You don't need to do that if you have 64 bit architecture, but yes, I'm aware of that guide. Good to hear that it works.

A new RFC map! that has been updated for resources

A new RFC map! that has been updated for resources

Is there a new version that's different from the one in my map pack?

Anyway, an announcement to all:

ROM is a wonderful mod, but there are things about it I never liked. It's getting a little tiresome retooling ROM to fit my needs every time a new version comes out, so I'm striking out and makng my own mod. Because of this, my efforts will obviously be diverted from map conversion, so don't expect to see too many more maps from me. I did just make a giant Eurasia map that I'll probably convert, and I'll still take on the occasional request, but I think it's safe to say that my involvement with maps and modmods for ROM is by and large over.

EDIT: I'll also try to finish my scenario. But that'll take time.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I don't have screenshots of any of the maps, if that's what you're asking.

Sure. Should I do random resources and players or preplaced?

Random is fine,though I do play Joan of Arc alot. As for preplaced are you talking about locations of cities in Faerun (i.e. Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, Suzail, etc)?
thank you :)

Hi, I found this huge europe map and wanted to ask if it could be converted to RoM... or how to do that, if noone wants to do so.

Some nice looking screenies...
Spoiler :

Download-Link for the map, made for BtS.

That map comes with RoM already, called Demographica.

I almost ALWAYS play RoM on this map. It's pretty awesome. The biggest challenge, imo, is playing Russia on this because there is so much land all around and barbarians are a steady and intimidating concern--on all sides!

Check it out as Demographica, but also check this out--go to the files directly, this path: Beyond the Sword>>Mods>>Rise of Mankind>>Private Maps.
There you'll find some pretty cool maps. Just double click to load. Not all of them have Revoltions--for instance, a map called Huge Europe(which is not the same as this one), or any of the GEMs. It's RoM, but not with Revoltions.
The map you're talking about does have Revolutions. Tag me back if you are interested in some custom alterations I make to this.

Now, I have always had a shortcut to my saves, using a similar path, and whenever I want to load a game, I click my "Saves" shortcut on my Desktop and double-click on the last game I saved. It really makes it much easier to get right back into a game.

Top Bottom