JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

I have the unhealthy habit of not changing the version numbers :blush: Re-download just in case, because something's definitely amiss, and I can't imagine a mod conflict would cause this kind of issue.

Well, I finished my game with Norway last night. Then I went so far as to completely delete the civ and reinstall it from the OP, but I'm still have the same problem with the Birkebeiner. It still doesn't upgrade to anything and becomes available at Metal Casting. The only other MODS I had loaded were InfoAddict and Comunitas Map (which I wasn't using). I can't see how either of those would affect this situation, but I'm not a modder, so who knows.

Well, I finished my game with Norway last night. Then I went so far as to completely delete the civ and reinstall it from the OP, but I'm still have the same problem with the Birkebeiner. It still doesn't upgrade to anything and becomes available at Metal Casting. The only other MODS I had loaded were InfoAddict and Comunitas Map (which I wasn't using). I can't see how either of those would affect this situation, but I'm not a modder, so who knows.

I'm afraid I have no idea then. I'll re-copy the dropbox link, in case the version there is not as up to date as the one I have on Steam.

Are you considering changing portugal?

Not actively. I have considered it, and I may consider it again, but there are no plans to change it.

For this special occasion of the birthday (or birthday eve, for those in the past) of Gauis Julius Caesar, I have created a small mod that changes Augustus to Julius, with a new, conquest focused UA:

The Empire of Rome - Julius Caesar (BNW) Download

Spoiler :

The Empire of Rome - Julius Caesar
Render unto Caesar: Conquering cities triggers a We Love the King Day event in the Capital. During We Love the King Day, Military Units begin with additional experience.

Legion: The Legion is the Roman unique unit, replacing the Swordsman. The Legion is more powerful than the Swordsman, making it the most powerful melee unit of the Classical Era. The Legion can also construct roads and forts and is the only non-Worker unit able to do so.

Ballista: Roman unique unit, more powerful than the Catapult it replaces. The Ballista is an excellent siege weapon. It is extremely useful against cities, but it is quite vulnerable to attack. Be sure to protect the Ballista with other military units. The Ballista must first "set up" (1 MP) before attacking.

Credits:

Peace Theme - Andreas Waldetoft "Riding to Battle."
War Theme - Andreas Waldetoft "Imperator."

Note that this is just a quick homage; this civ is not playable by the AI and maintains the same unique unit attributes as Augustus. The DoM is mostly the same, too. The civ isn't intended to be re-created in full, so go out and be the catalyst of the Western world whilst you can! :)

I'm totally going to play that. But shouldn't it be "we love the consul" or "we love the proconsul" day ? :)

Okay, I know it's coded into the game that way. just sayin'

Now if you could make it so that Augustus was re-asserted as Rome's leader after the Ides of March, that would be a mod ! :mwaha:

Hello, JFD! I have a question about the "internal support" of your mods. Does "Includes internal support for: Ethnic Units" means that the new civilization mod just can work with Ethnic Units or means that the new civilization will have Ethnic Units' unit models if I have installed Ethnic Units ?

It will mean that the civilisation will make use of the custom units included in the Ethnic Units mod. This is usually based upon an existing civ - so, for instance, my Switzerland mod will use the same Ethnic Units as France.

The Empire of Rome - Julius Caesar (BNW) Download

This is a nice idea. You could try to develop this as if Julius Caesar had a special "We love the proconsul day" instead of the regular we love the king, like a better "we love the king day". It is true that Augustus would really be a great leader with a UB (Senate? Forum? Consulate? Something...). This would divide the roman empire in a Military focused civ and a development focused civ. A little bit like carthage's gold and sea control of Dido VS the carthaginean military power of Hannibal (one of the bestcivs you have, sincerely).

Just another quick note: Victoria is the greatest england i've ever seen. It works very well and has a better ability (and uniques) than churchill or elizabeth. The only problem of Victoria is the civilization's map which is not like the other maps we have seen around here. DO you intend to change it?

I know you have been with lots of work to bring us all of these civs, This about rome is just a simple idea. Good luck developing more civs! Thank you for your great work.

It seems too much different than the other maps. I understand it is difficult to create a map from canada to australia. This is not supposed to be a bad revew of the current map.

I do understand where lp_04 is coming from - maps in civ5 almost never break up their content into smaller pieces, like the ones you would see in a printed atlas; instead they strive to show an empire's territory in a contiguous and continuous manner. I considered doing it like that for Victoria's British Empire, but I concluded that showing the entire world, scaled way down, with tiny blotches of red here and there would be rather underwhelming (and the British Isles, ironically, would be almost invisible). Instead, I focused on showing key elements of the Empire and forget about the rest.

This is a nice idea. You could try to develop this as if Julius Caesar had a special "We love the proconsul day" instead of the regular we love the king, like a better "we love the king day". It is true that Augustus would really be a great leader with a UB (Senate? Forum? Consulate? Something...). This would divide the roman empire in a Military focused civ and a development focused civ. A little bit like carthage's gold and sea control of Dido VS the carthaginean military power of Hannibal (one of the bestcivs you have, sincerely).

It was just a last minute development. Rome is not Russia, so I'm not as compelled by its leaders enough to pursue alternates at this point.

Just another quick note: Victoria is the greatest england i've ever seen. It works very well and has a better ability (and uniques) than churchill or elizabeth. The only problem of Victoria is the civilization's map which is not like the other maps we have seen around here. DO you intend to change it?

I have no intention to change it. Although it is unusual, it is still at the consistently high-quality level with which Janboruta makes his maps, and I do not believe that sticking with the traditional format would have accomplished the same thing without sacrificing something - fitting Victoria's empire into the limited map dimensions we have is no small feat, and would likely come out underwhelming if attempted.

I do understand where lp_04 is coming from - maps in civ5 almost never break up their content into smaller pieces, like the ones you would see in a printed atlas; instead they strive to show an empire's territory in a contiguous and continuous manner. I considered doing it like that for Victoria's British Empire, but I concluded that showing the entire world, scaled way down, with tiny blotches of red here and there would be rather underwhelming (and the British Isles, ironically, would be almost invisible). Instead, I focused on showing key elements of the Empire and forget about the rest.

But, I expect, you put Australia in there just because you were putting NZ in there anyway, and wanted to fill up the space :p

My whole point would be articulated with a change in the division of the different regions. Of course a complete world map would be difficult. The small (yet diffkcult I think) change that could improve the map, imo., would be the introduction of some sort of leafs and naturalistic concepts between the different regions (muchlike the maps of BNW). It would become more dynamic, I think. Stillit is just a small matter. I like Victoria a lot.

Dont missunderstand me, I think these mods and your small and efficient team are great. I have downloaded almost all of the civs and even tried to switch some of thechniques. You brought a new dimension to the modded civilizations and to this community. The art of janboruta is the bestI have seen around here. i'm just exposing some of my thoughts. If they help, great, if not, just as great. These civilizations are realy good :)

A full world map would be nigh-on impossible - I've tried myself and failed miserably. The way Jan did it was more or less what I'd imagined, just far better. It also fits with the style of the Victorian era - so overall, while it may not be like every other map in the game, it's fitting with Victoria and probably the best way to get the map to work overall. So, great work. That's all that can really be said.

My whole point would be articulated with a change in the division of the different regions. Of course a complete world map would be difficult. The small (yet diffkcult I think) change that could improve the map, imo., would be the introduction of some sort of leafs and naturalistic concepts between the different regions (muchlike the maps of BNW). It would become more dynamic, I think. Stillit is just a small matter. I like Victoria a lot.

I have to disagree from an artistic point of view. I find the way in which it is divided to be a subtle testimony to the artificial nature of discontinuous empires.

Top Bottom