1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JJ03-Monarch, Just Win

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by jeejeep, May 29, 2006.

1. Lobsterboy

Lobsterboy Immature crustacean

Thanks dutchfire.

I downloaded the save, but I probably won't be able to play until Wed. night. (I've got some work to do tonight.) Sorry.

2. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

Lobsterboy,you would be a skip, but since I have no time to play today I will give you until tomorrow.

3. Lobsterboy

Preturn check (1520 AD)
    Gandhi's last city is on the western tip of our continent. Dutchfire has our troops moving into position to capture the city. Once our troops are in place, I will trade him Military Tradition for Constitution, then immediately wipe him off the map before he has a chance to trade it!

Hamburg is making a Caravel? That won't be particularly useful. Build switched to a Theater (4)

Everything else looks fine.

Toku has Elephants, so we probably can't declare on him until we get some Grenadiers across the Channel.

>Enter<

Turn 1: (1523 AD)
    Technology discovered: Chemistry --> Steel

Turn 2: (1526 AD)

Turn 3: (1529 AD)
    Trade Gandhi: Military Tradition --> Constitution + World Map
    Cancel Open Borders with Gandhi
    War declared with India!

Only one Longbowman is defending Gandhi's last city. Our Cavalry has 69% odds to win, but I send in a few Catapults to soften him up:
    Catapult loses to: Indian Longbowman (6.00/6) That didn't go so well...
    Catapult loses to: Indian Longbowman (4.44/6) At least he did some damage. Our Cav now has 95% odds:
    Cavalry defeats (10.20/15): Indian Longbowman

Captured Karachi (Gandhi)

And just like that, the war is over! Essentially we got Constitution at the cost of a slight worsening our relations with Huayna. (Qin and Saladin were already at war with Gandhi, so no change in relations there; I can't recall if relations with Elizabeth were affected.)

Even though it will never be much of a city, I decide to keep Karachi just to keep another stupid Civ from settling there!(It will be 20 turns for Satsuma's border to expand again and seal our continent off from further foreign settlement.)

Turn 4: (1532 AD)
    Berlin finishes: Cavalry --> Grenadier (3)
    Hamburg finishes: Theatre --> Grenadier (10)
    Cologne finishes: Cavalry --> Grenadier (9)
    Frankfurt finishes: Catapult --> Grenadier (12)
    Kagoshima finishes: Lighthouse --> Library (12)

Turn 5: (1535 AD)
    The rebels in Karachi are subdued. Karachi joins the German Empire!
    Karachi begins: Lighthouse

Turn 6 (1538 AD)
    Berlin finishes: Grenadier --> Grenadier (4)
    Munich finishes: Cavalry --> Grenadier (8)
    Libyan finishes: Catapult --> Jewish Monastery (13)

Turn 7 (1541 AD)

Turn 8 (1544 AD)
    Trade w/Toku: Divine Right for 400 GP
    Saladin has Military Tradition now. I wouldn't be surprised if he traded it to Qin soon.

Turn 9 (1547 AD)
    Satsuma finishes: Cavalry --> Theater (9)

Turn 10 (1550 AD)
    Dortmund finishes: Barracks --> Grenadier (15)

By the end of the next set of turns (or maybe even before), we should be ready to launch our attack against Toku. Doing so, however, will probably push our relations with Qin into the red, and he might even come to Toku's aid. Our homeland defense is piss poor, but until Qin gets Astronomy, we should be OK.

We might want to reconsider attacking Toku and attack Elizabeth instead. Militarily, she is as weak as Toku, and she does have three holy cities (only one shrine, however (Jewish)). We'll probably need Astronomy, however, to ferry our troops over there.

We might want to start spreading some religions around in order to take advantage of the extra happiness that comes with Free Religion. We may need it if Qin cancels our deals for his happy resources.

Elizabeth will give us Corporation + GP for Military Tradition. We might want to make the deal if we decide not to attack her before Toku.

Here's the link to the save:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/JJ03_AD-1550.Civ4SavedGame

@jeejeep: Hey! I beat the 48 hour post deadline by an hour! :)

4. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

Sorry, I accidentally counted from the post instead of the save. I'll play today.

5. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

I played. I thought my descision making was okay, but I definitely got some bad RNG luck.

0. The game has come a while siince I last played. I read the last two turn reports and look around for a while to familiarize myself. Why does every single city have to build grenadiers? I make one or two build calvalry and the ones with bad production build infrastructure. We generate surprisiongly little research considering the number of cottages we are working.

1. Ferrying troops across to the assembly point, two squares away from Osaka.

2. zzz same thing

IT: steel-corporation

3. Qin enters a golden age. Research down to 60%, our highest sustainable level. We declare war on Toku. moving into his territory, we find Osaka is only defended by a pike and two longbows.

osakadefbad0000.JPG

4. We bombard and attack Osaka, taking it with no losses.

5. Put research down to 60% for a turn for upgrades, move troops into Osaka.

6. Healing

IT: Japan counterattacks with a huge stack of cats, knights, samurai and war elephants. We kill a cat and five knights, but lose two cavs, one to a samurai and one to a knight.

7. We kill two war elephants and three catapults, but lose two calvalry trying to get rid of a musketman-samurai pair in a forest with about 70% odds.

IT: Lose two more cavs, one to that same samurai, who is now at 6.5 health. The other is to a full health musket. Only one calvalry remains. Liz asks for Chemistry and we say no.

8. Healing

IT: Kill attacking horse archer and the musket from the musket-samurai pair. Japan has pillaged almost all of our seafood, we are using all our navy to ferry troops.

9. Still healing.

10. A Gs is born in Hamburg and I use him to create an academy there. Trade Liz chemistry and almost all our gold for replaceable parts.

The AI is starting to open up a tech lead. We don't want that to get too out of hand, but I am not sure how to stop it.

The next player can begin the assault on Kyoto, here is a picture of it's defenses. We have mostly grenadiers over there now, as only Berlin can build cavs quickly.

Kyotodef0000.JPG

Next player can either build some fishing boats and a navy to guard them, or just wait until after the war. It shouldn't be too long unless Japan gets grenadiers.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/JJ03_AD-1580.Civ4SavedGame

6. Lobsterboy

I started Grenadiers nearly everywhere to provide some cover for our invasion force, as well as to start building some defensive units for the 'Vaterland'. With our current defensive situation, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Qin or Saladin come calling once they build navies.

I do think, however, that I do have a habit of going a little 'grenadier happy'. Usually I get Chemistry before Militatry Tradition, and use many more offensive Grenadiers than Cavalry - by the time I get Cavalry, the AI usually has Riflemen.

7. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

I think we should try to start a large war on the other continent by bribing some civs to attack others (trying to make Qin lose the war). I don't know if it's possible, but it might be our best chance.

8. dutchfire

So who's up? ngraner?

9. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

Yes, ngraner. Sorry I forgot

10. ngraner42

ngraner42 Ultrarunner

I have it. I will probably play tomorrow as I am literally toasted from attempting to ride my bike across the state of IN today. Made 135 out of 160 miles, but did not have the will to fix a flat tire with my ride home driving right past me. 95 degree heat and a wicked sunburn through the SPF 45 sunscreen.

11. ngraner42

ngraner42 Ultrarunner

I carried on the war against Japan, capturing Kyoto, but we are facing terrible culture pressure from Qin and Saladin. Pushed commerce\research improvements back in the homeland as well as rebuilding the Navy. Japanese Caravels sunk most of our Galleys, but with getting Astronomy from Elizabeth, they were out of date anyway.

We should finish taking Edo. Qin's power graph is off the chart. Possibly we could use Steam Power to get Qin and Saladin warring on each other, since they are different religions.

T0. Switched Essen to Theater to combat war weariness. Upped culture slider to 10%. Rushed Courthouse in Libyan. Traded Sugar to Qin for 7gp/turn.

T1. Hamburg: Buddhist Monastery>Frigate. Libyan: Courthouse>University. Corporation>Steam Power. Traded Steel to Elizabeth for Astronomy and 150gp.

T2. Kagoshima: Harbor>Cannon.

T3. Munich: Grenadier>Cannon. Cologne: University>Galleon. Osaka: Rushed Theater.

T4. Osaka: Theater>Granary. Rush build Galleon in Cologne.

T5. Berlin: Cavalry>Cannon. Cologne: Galleon>Galleon. Began the assault on Kyoto. Sacrificed 4 catapults and then killed all but 2 defenders with no further losses.

T6. Kyoto captured. Cease fire announced as we are spent.

T7. Frankfurt: Grenadier>Galleon.

T8. Satsuma: Harbor>University.

T9. Berlin: Cannon>Observatory.

T10. Hamburg: Frigate>Observatory.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/JJ03_AD-1610.Civ4SavedGame

12. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

Roster:
    Dutchfire
    Lobsterboy
    Jeejeep
    ngraner42-played
    rddc05-MIA
    Krockel-Up

13. Krockel

Krockel Warlord

got it

I'm just back in town, so I'll catch up with reading your turn reports and play after that.

So plz fill me in on the game-plan and what's more urgent to do.

14. dutchfire

Our plan at the moment should be: start a war between Qin and Saladin, because they're to powerful right now.

15. Krockel

Krockel Warlord

Ok, here comes my turns for 1610 - 1640

0:
    As dutchfire pointed out Saladin and Qin are quite powerful. So I begin to straight out the diplomatic situation for myself. Qin is pleased with Saladin and Saladin is cautious with Qin. Lizzie is worst enemy with both of them, so trading with her is kind of a bad idea ATM, unfortunately she is the only one who will trade with us. Huayna will not even talk to us! ATM we can't bribe any AI to make war with anyone. Tricky situation.

1-3:
    A few :whipped: and troop movement.

4:
    Ship over two galleons of troops to Kyoto.

5:
    Steam Power comes in. It have no trade value what so ever. Lizzie will give us 10 gold..... how generous :p Saladin and Qin thinks we're becoming to advance.
    Democracy next. Only Lizzie have it and it's not likely that she trade it to any of the two big guns. So it will give us some Emanicipitation unhappiness to Sally and Qin plus some extra cottage growth.
    Ohh... and we have coal by Dortmund!

Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

6:
    War is declared on Toko. :mad:

7:
    Start bombarding Edu.

8:
    Edu is captured. One canon is lost in the process.
    Toku is down to one city, Tokyo. I let troop heal up and next person could go for that. Could be hard to keep Tokyo though, I vote for razing it.

Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG

9:
    :coffee:

10:
    Democracy in like 10 turns. Will go down when we sign peach with or destroy Japan. 40 % culture is needed ATM to keep happiness at reasonable level.

Edit: Ok, the save is 511 kb .zip. Well, I work on that. Probably best to get some online-space somewhere. Any tips for good hosts?
    Edit2: Problem solved:

Save: http://www.esnips.com/doc/a515428d-f423-4d38-b29d-7d3a234801ae/JJ03AD-1640.zip

16. ngraner42

ngraner42 Ultrarunner

Any chance to trade Steam and Osaka to get one of the super powers warring. Possiby use Tokyo in this way also. I have never given cities to initiate a war, but it is worth a try.

17. Krockel

Krockel Warlord

The problem is that the option to declare war with someone is red, and can therefor not even be selected for a trade. I think we're pleased with Saladin, so if we butter him up a bit maybe we can get him to declare. Is it worth to try to give him tech, like Steam and/or Democracy?

18. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

Roster:
    Dutchfire-up
    Lobsterboy-on deck
    Jeejeep
    ngraner42
    rddc05-MIA
    Krockel-played

19. dutchfire

I've got the save.
    btw can anyone explain how I should upload it now (if it's too big).

20. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

How did you upload it last time?