JOE-05 - The Crusades

Go boink some heads Jacques. It's just a matter of war declaration on Mehmed and then go nuts. Enjoy the great army Hugh de Payen prepared. I was itching to do battle but the journey across took my entire turnset. We are building cannons but it wouldn't hurt to build a few mores maces just to have extra raider units before we go to rifling. I do agree with Hugh we need them since we may be facing many mounted units.

Good stuff there Cosmic, nice to see some progress with tech trades, and also we have Education. Was the Military Academy built or are we waiting for another GG?

vra has picked up now, so we'll carry on with the roster in order once vra has played his turns;

Hopefully the swap is OK with Rince.

ROOSTER

Cosmichail - Black Knight - Just played
Rince - Phillippe de Plaissis - Swap with vra
Jesusoneez - King Arthur - on deck
Mice - Hugh de Payen
Vra379971 - Jacques de Molay - Up

Nice black Knight, and great RP report. I think we're in for some fun and games.

I really want rifles right now.

So much will depend on diplomacy with Peter.

That GG iirc is still sitting in Lyons. I forgot to build the academy so hopefully vra will catch this and build it.

Hugh de Payen I am all for rifles now too with the threat of cossacks. But did you notice in Peter's last conversation he says ho ho ho I have Knights so I am not as worried about him anymore. He's at pleased now so we should be alright. What concerns me is that Mehmed has cavalry and raider grens don't do so good but we do have a combat III gren who could withstand cavs well enough on defensive terrain.

Only 5 turns to go on RParts and Rifling not too far away. I'd still build some maces before we loose the ability to build raider units. We can even build Praets (less hammer) but we do not have the coin for upgrades that's why I built some maces since they aren't as expensive to upgrade to grens.

I think that after razing those first two cities on the border we should be cautious about going into Mehemed's land. If he has more cavalry we could get cut to pieces.

also in the second fleet it would be good if we can get a missionary or two. Liz will settle the new open land hopefully, and it would be bad if these cities went Islam instead of Buddhist.

BTW Diarbakir on our land is christian so we don't have to raze it if we don't want to.It could be absorbed, but it is pretty useless.

BTW Diarbakir on our land is christian so we don't have to raze it if we don't want to.It could be absorbed, but it is pretty useless.

Hmmm...it just seems right somehow to flatten everything Mehmed owns. But yeah, he's a generation ahead on arms. It's a good job we can attack two cities without counterattack. Do we have any defending Galleons to keep an eye open for a SOD coming across the waves towards our homelands?

Jesusoneez we have two frigates and two galleons left behind to protect our shores. We should also reinforce the west side of Egypt many cities there only defended by 1. Hopefully vra will reinforce some cities and get ships up and down the coast to watch for a Mehmed landing.

What a foul day. It was SO foul I really do need to relieve how many demises I caused - just to make me fel better. Stay tuned ya'll.

Just a reminder to all please skip me until May2nd as I am moving.

Vra, do you mean demises in the game or RL?

Cosmichail, you will still probably get plenty of action. I think this one is far from settled.

In the game of course :p

In real life I am both physicallly unable and mentally unsuitable to cause much mayhem :p

----------

Well, after several hours I finally have gotten the screenshots and notes of those turns sorted. (I wrote a page on my inhertited turn!)

I'm in the process up uploading the story now, but I'll say this - the First Crusade is definately over.

From the annals of Jacques de Molay - 1691

There is an old saying that all roads lead to Rome. No one knows exactly where it came from...perhaps it was an old campaigner...or a worker tired with his role in the state. Either way, it was coming true.

The lands of the Holy Roman Empire stretched far and wide - and why? Because in the sign of the cross, they had risen and conquered....

A quick sweep of the lands before me from my seat showed much progress - but much still to be desired...I spoke to my Under Marshal and found that the construction battlion never got the order to leave for the Crusades! Snarling, I send the order to have them collected at once.

Just then, the Seneschal burst in, roaring that our Under Marshal had let the men leave to do God's bidding with seige equipment belonging in our scrap heaps! Turning to face the Under Marshal, I demanded an explantion...but he just stammered. Furious, I swore that any deaths would be on his head, before dispaching him with the order to go and see to the upgrading, whatever the cost...

Turning my head skyward, I said a silent prayer for our Armies of the first Crusade, who were to take Ankara, Konya and Bursa...

* * * * *​
Turn 0 - So, off we go. I generally like to have a worker team in a construction force, so I start by sending one over. I don't expect much from Mehmed, who seems to have met his match in Liz. While we desperately need Cannons over there, the variant forbids keeping cities, so I have to burn and get by with Trebs. I also generally like a Settler...but oh well. With this in mind, I have a front line Ankara to Konya to Bursa sweep that would have us deep in the heathen's lands.

I start by doing this...

And do this in person...

I then continue by destryoing a Caraval at Newcastle, and hurry the Forbidden Palace at Tours, in a bid to fix our economy.

In a time saving bid I do this despite it being a tad in his favour. Peter is pleased.

Looking at the current situation (Lots of Towns, and alot possible, as well as need for production), I go an a massive micromanaging spree, making sure as many cottages are worked as possible, so that we can revolt to Free Speech and US. For now however, I choose corporations to assist our economy while building as many Lumbermills as possible. We really do need more workers.

At the end, we attack and raze Ankara...God be praised!

Turn 1 - That theiving Liz truly is a pest. Instead of going to war the blasted leader resettles the ground! As for things at home, we lost a Galleon vs Galleon battle that was more or less a desperation move on my part. I'll have to whip at our Globe Town. And..we'll need to order new netting.

Turn 2 - A closer insepction of Arpinium reveals two artists which get fired rather fast, and put to work the land. I don't want a blasted painting in that city! the play may be the thing, but you'll work till you have a theater! I christen the hill outside Konya Crak de Chevaliers, and build a Mil Academy in Lyons, which looks to be a great production city.

Turn 3 - A real yawner. We whipped a Frigate at Arpinium to attempt to defend our nets.

Turn 4 - We marshall at Crak, and consider our next move...

Turn 5 - Corporation comes in, and I go to Liberalism, as we do really need it. In foreign news, Hatshepseut has a "diplomatic affair" with Fredrick, and they decide to join nations...Our religious corps spread the true faith to Munich, then, this happens.

We manage this on the high seas...

Diyarbakir is now...wait for it...Christian! Despite heavy warfare their mere presence on our lands has shown them the way to live despite being told otherwise by their Islamic head. Gleefully, I marshal our forces and wait for the town to grow, so we may capture it whole...

Over the sea, we have still yet to lose a man - but Konya gets past wave 1. I'm going to give those guys a shave with our grenades!

Sadly, we lose man trying to get this city...may God grant him peace. Our man Alexus I get his revenge personally, and the city is put to the sword. Huzzah!

Turn 6 - We see some shock action just about everywhere, starting as we lose a weakened grenadier in the open. "These devils attack the wounded!"

We manage to follow up our loss with Firgate win. Our Navy is doing exceedingly well on a tight budget.

We manage to take Diyarbakir (and are welcomed with open arms by our strange bearded brothers).

Then we get a call about this.

Not to worry, not to worry. They won't be getting any cities, no matter what. Ye are about to see a spirited Templar defence.

Turn 7 - We get massively Cat attacked (6 cats and a horse) and lose a Gren, badly wounding our troops. In our own lands, we are out numbered 3 to 1 on land, and 4 to 1 on the sea. I like those odds, should not be much trouble to deal with eh, wot?

I attack two Firges off Diy and come up with two victories - the ships limp into the city for repairs.

I throw a cannon to delay the attack by Mehmed's forces at home, but keep the garrison at Helio light - by design and by the fact we have few other options - hoping to bait him into an attack I'm likely to win.

I clear Bursa's outskirts of the weakend Cats and hold ground so we can heal...

Turn 8 -

At home, Whack-a-Mehmed continues, as we kill another Caraval at Arpinium, and lose a Knight against it's Islamic counterpart outside Heliopolis. Outside Bursa we heal...Back at home, we birth a GG in Rome, and I put it to sleep.

Turn 9 -

We get absolutely slaughtered outside Bursa. The Cavs come from nowhere and kill five Gren's...I think it's time for an exit strategy...as the wolves are offically out. We can no longer advance, and I weigh the odds carefully, realizing we simply cannot take any further cities without reenforcements. At home political instability has risen sharply (unhappy persons). With this, the First Crusade is over, as I seek peace...

Greatly angered, I take time to increase our bargaining position by killing a few more of us troops still in our lands with the light force I have.

Finally, I settle on this deal, which sees us add money to our coffers, and sees domestic cash flow grow by 20 GPT.

Turn 10 - Bohr is still unused - I have no clue really what to do with him. The GG in Rome still sleeps, but, he should be sent to Arpinium at once to make whipping an Army more effective.

And with that, the Grand Master lays down his sword for another...

The Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/25465/Alexius_I_AD-1721.CivWarlordsSave

So...I did the best I could.

Mehmed has a few troops stranded in our lands, and our army vacated to the Crak de Chevaliers (There's a sign denoting the hill)

Keep up Lumbermill production, send the GG to Arpinium to whip with Globe, and get Railroads after Democracy.

We need to export the army home for upgrades - I'd leave a two knights in Crak for the purpose of reconissance on the continent.

Wow. I like the prisoner of war camps.

Nice report Jacques. Where from here?

Rifles, cannons, using Liz's land as a base to build up the attack again.

I think it's a good thing that Liz settles the ex-turkish land. Our priority is to stamp out Mehemed. If Liz gets strong in the process, so what. We can accept Buddhism in the world for now and attack her later if we want to be fanatical about it. Having said that a couple of settlers n the stack next time will be warranted

Liz, Peter and Fred are pleased. Lets keep it that way.

Blimey. Nice stuff vra, and nice report...worth the wait. ;)

This is an "I got it".

ROOSTER
Cosmichail - Black Knight - Out until May 2nd
Vra379971 - Jacques de Molay - Just Played
Jesusoneez - King Arthur - Up
Mice - Hugh de Payen - On Deck
Rince - Phillippe de Plaissis -

Looks like my primary goal is to build up reinforcements...

Top Bottom