Joystiq review Sept 17th, 2010

Color me fanboy. I didn't really like that review - I thought it was a screwy approach and oddly written. I prefer informative writing that isn't trying to be flip and silly (and failing). Slapping 3 sort of partial reviews for different audiences together in one article made for a weak whole.

I have the PC Gamer issue with their review (and the awesome Bismark punching Washington cover) and that is a much better written review (I had previously read their early impressions, mistook it for their review, and thought THAT was poorly written too - reviewers should stick to reviewing and leave comedy for comedians).

The bit about crashing on 3 different PCs seems odd too - I believe them - it's not something they'd be misleading about - but it is counter to everything else I've read or witnessed. Like in the 2K demo, which is very much a live 2 hour feed, they do not crash once. They have a graphics card issue loading the Japan game that had nothing to do with the game (except maybe the game needing a driver version or card capabilty they lacked that isn't the game's fault).

It's entirely possible that the release build introduced technical issues that didn't exist in any preview build or PC Gamer's review build...but it seems kind of unlikely. I guess we'll see soon.

with all the reviews streaming in wouldn't it be easier to have a sticky that has the links to the reviews instead of all the separate posts.

although with the separate posts we can off course comment on the style/ what's been said in the review.

I still get the "dumbed down" vibe from this review. I thought the splitting into three parts was a creative idea, though I'd have liked to read more about the AI.

I still get the "dumbed down" vibe from this review. I thought the splitting into three parts was a creative idea, though I'd have liked to read more about the AI.

You see what you want to see, I guess.

I guess the question is whether you think better AI not just in your opponents but in the city governors constitutes being "dumbed down." To the extent that it lowers the performance gap between avid micro-managers and people who are more interested in strategy, then it probably is. Then again, that strikes me as a very shallow definition of "dumbed down."

Hmmm... the screenshots look different from the ones we usually see, for one the river is a bit wavy and fuses seamlessly with the ocean.

But it actually serves the franchise -- which was getting into convoluted "empire simulation" territory -- and yanks it back to being a strategy game.

I always saw the deep simulation as a positive thing. Civilization is supposed to be a game that includes war, not a wargame. Strip much more away and you'll have RISK with tile improvements.

To the extent that it lowers the performance gap between avid micro-managers and people who are more interested in strategy, then it probably is. Then again, that strikes me as a very shallow definition of "dumbed down."

If a game takes away control from the player and automates processes that were previously managed by the player, then that meets my definition of "dumbed down". Would you prefer the expression "more accessible" instead, as used in the press releases and the way console gamers enjoy their games?

Personally, I prefer choice. Instead of dumbing down these aspects, or making them "more accessible", I would have welcomed the option to let the game handle them automatically or allow the player to manage them. This would have satisfied both camps.

I'll certainly enjoy the game, and the dumbing down of PC games to lower development costs and appeal to the modern generation of gamers isn't a new development. It happened to RPGs, MMOs and other genres as well. It's not an obstacle for me. No doubt Civ5 will be successful and I'll play the stuff out of it as soon as it arrives. Even in its "more accessible" form.

If a game takes away control from the player and automates processes that were previously managed by the player, then that meets my definition of "dumbed down". Would you prefer the expression "more accessible" instead, as used in the press releases and the way console gamers enjoy their games?

As stated, this is very much a strawman argument. More control does not necessarily mean more thought. It depends on what these processes are. I havent played it, so I cant really talk about specific instances in game. The article suggests thoughtless actions are removed allowing you to focus on a grander strategy, making it a more intelligent game.

All the reviews gush about how great the game is, I can't wait for the 21st to just get here already.

Here are the four reviews:

Joystiq - http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/17/civilization-5-review/
"The core Civilization experience is still there, but it's like an efficiency expert came in and streamlined everything that had gotten clunky with the series. It's a "friendly" strategy game. Can one even call a strategy game friendly? Well, I just did."

Shacknews - http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65623
"All in all, Civilization V is an amazing game"

Desttuctoid - http://www.destructoid.com/review-civilization-v-184136.phtml
"Civilization V makes huge advances to the series that do nothing but enhance the essential experience. Improvements to the user interface and AI at all levels result in it being more approachable for newcomers without losing any of the strategic depth that long-time fans crave. It vastly improves combat, making the micro-level gameplay both more complex and entertaining. It trims all the fat, leaving only decision-making, strategic planning, and the sheer joy of crushing your enemies. Civ V is the pinnacle of the franchise to date."

The Escapist - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8126-Review-Civilization-V
"My favorite Civilization to date. Hex tiles and no stacking makes combat fun and more tactical. The new systems work incredibly well without altering what makes the game Civilization. Civ V is an excellent game."

Phenom II x4 955, 4gb ram and GeForce GTX 260.

But I tested in my second computer (AMD 64 3000, 1gb ram), Game is very slow :(
Well considering that computer doesn't meet the min specs (Not enough ram, single-core processor)... I'm surprised it runs at all.

Phenom II x4 955, 4gb ram and GeForce GTX 260.

But I tested in my second computer (AMD 64 3000, 1gb ram), Game is very slow :(

Slow but plays? That's amazing. Can you make it through the modern era on standard? Even if you have to switch over to strategic view?

I like this section:
This is the most streamlined Civilization to date, but please don't let the Revolution talk scare you. Yes, the console Civ's influence is all over this game: the interface, the lack of money/science sliders and the transparency of statistics. But it actually serves the franchise -- which was getting into convoluted "empire simulation" territory -- and yanks it back to being a strategy game.
This is pretty much was I was hoping for.

Top Bottom