[NFP] June update speculation and wish list

Yeah, I find it... hm, I'm not sure. A lot of it is noise I don't need to know. Does it really matter if Egypt is trading with America? It does come up with useful info, but not particularly often. And if there's one thing I *hate* about the Gossip system, it's that it frequently spoils who the unknown civs are. I like the surprise.
I like it. Per the name, it makes sense that a lot of gossip is useless, and it makes sense that civs would hear about other civs through "mutual friends," so to speak. China and Rome, for example, didn't deal with each other directly, but they heard rumors of each other through their mutual trading partners in Central Asia and Greater Persia.

I like it. Per the name, it makes sense that a lot of gossip is useless, and it makes sense that civs would hear about other civs through "mutual friends," so to speak. China and Rome, for example, didn't deal with each other directly, but they heard rumors of each other through their mutual trading partners in Central Asia and Greater Persia.
I don't disagree with your points on principle, Dr. Bashir, but more in terms of the game itself. It's information you can't use for anything, except perhaps in World Congress situations and even then it's luck of the draw if it comes up. If we were talking a PDX game then I fully agree it's got a point, but without any reliable Diplo tools like embargos, requests to stop trading with someone, etc., it just isn't doing much for the player. I'm sure there's a way it can be improved to give better info (e.g. "The Mayans have found a new source of Iron" would be a good Gossip message). My other big, big issue with the Gossip system is the syntax for it is abysmal, and it semi-frequently drops grammatically incorrect statements. Considering I am playing the game in its native language, English, I find this to be an issue the devs should have fixed very early on in the game. The table from which the game pulls its info really needs to be updated.

I also feel that if the WC doesn't reveal the unknown Civs, and nor does competing with an unknown player over a City-State with Envoys, then the Gossip system shouldn't reveal that information. The only things that should are exploration and LoS from Suzerain-status City States.

I don't disagree with your points on principle, Dr. Bashir, but more in terms of the game itself. It's information you can't use for anything, except perhaps in World Congress situations and even then it's luck of the draw if it comes up. If we were talking a PDX game then I fully agree it's got a point, but without any reliable Diplo tools like embargos, requests to stop trading with someone, etc., it just isn't doing much for the player. I'm sure there's a way it can be improved to give better info (e.g. "The Mayans have found a new source of Iron" would be a good Gossip message). My other big, big issue with the Gossip system is the syntax for it is abysmal, and it semi-frequently drops grammatically incorrect statements. Considering I am playing the game in its native language, English, I find this to be an issue the devs should have fixed very early on in the game. The table from which the game pulls its info really needs to be updated.

I also feel that if the WC doesn't reveal the unknown Civs, and nor does competing with an unknown player over a City-State with Envoys, then the Gossip system shouldn't reveal that information. The only things that should are exploration and LoS from Suzerain-status City States.
I'd be all for a thorough from-the-ground-up overhaul of diplomacy (and religion, too, while we're at it), but I don't think we're going to get it at this stage of the game. :( Though I'll be honest: I can't think of a 4X game where diplomacy feels really nuanced and meaningful. Some things a future Civ game could pick up from other games, though: borders are open until you close them (Endless Space 2); default state is cold war and non-aggression precedes friendship (ES2, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation); alliances make players more collaborative, not just rivals who are getting along (ES2, BotF); more ability to make non-hostile requests and ask for favors (ES2); etc. They also need to bring back Civ5's ability to ask another civ to make peace with your friends.

If you just like to know what the other guys are up to then it doesn't matter, but if you would like to get some actual useful info out of it, then it is unfortunate that this is drowned out in all the other stuff that you will never react to anyway, or notifications that are given on the right side of the screen and thus becomes duplicates, or all that text that isn't even based on what the opponent is doing ("your spy overheard this and that")

A thing I'd love seeing coming back from Civ V would be the posibility to pupet conquered cities. At the end of the game after finishing few wars most of the time is only selecting buidings for little cities, which makes end game not so enjoyable. As City States can build district by themselves, I think this little AI could be used then again on puppet cities.
This would be a great mechanic to have a comeback and could work well with the loyalty system.

Yeah but why add alliances that only benefit one of the two guys instead of both?

Its NOT an alliance. Its a guarantee. It means I’m telling the other civs I may go to war if they attack the person I’m guaranteeing.

Potentially this benefits both parties. But it could be for various other reasons, such as limiting a third party’s expansion, or preventing an ai from conquering someone I plan on conquering myself.

Plus, an alliance requires a dof. You could guarantee a country even if they loathed you.

The whole point is to have it a one-sided option: I’m going to guarantee them whether they like it or not.

edit: and this game is sorely lacking in diplo options.

edit2: and its an aid to the ai. I’m doing them a favor by letting them know I will annihilate them if they dow my gf Six Sky.

We really need many more ways of communicating our intentions and feelings to the ai.

edit3: and it should be allowed from turn 2.

Last edited:
I feel like further tweaks to Gran Colombia will happen given that they have twice asked in twitter feedback about Simon Bolivar.

Is there any indication that they will add more content to these patches besides just balancing things and fixing bugs?

I see this as very unlikely.
The “DLC patches” will bring free content alongside the paid one.
The “inbetween patches” will fix bugs and possibly balance existing content. (I am looking at you, Gran Colombia!)

I see this as very unlikely.
The “DLC patches” will bring free content alongside the paid one.
The “inbetween patches” will fix bugs and possibly balance existing content. (I am looking at you, Gran Colombia!)

Be careful. Gran Columbia might be looking at *you*.

Top Bottom