Kardashev 3 Mod (or, yet another space mod) development thread

Bluemofia

F=ma
As there are a dozen different space mods and scenarios, such as Space Opera, Star Trek, various Star Wars mods, Space Wars Evolution, Space Armada, etc. because space is awesome, the one problem was that none of them were compatible with random map modes like a true mod.

This mod aims to address this, as well as providing a more hard science than Star Wars or Star Trek, but with enough soft science and hand waving to mold it to game mechanics and for balance and fun factor.

This is a work in progress, as I don't have a full tech tree up and running, and additional ideas are welcome.

Map Generation

How most space mods usually work, is that they include a map that is 95% water, where space ships fly around in, and a scattering of land tiles representing planets, asteroids, etc. where land forces need to be deployed, and cities/planets built/colonized. After all, a blockade around a planet is just that, a blockade, and you still need boots on the ground to truly occupy it.

Space Wars Evolution and Space Armada did the opposite approach, where 100% of the map is land, and space ships fly around as land units and attack/conquer cities/planets, which can only be settled in limited locations (such as, the star itself or planets). Traditional land units like infantry battalions had no place in this map, as what planet can resist a star ship's orbital bombardment where megaton kinetic energy strikes are as common as bullets?

Because of these approaches to space, and space ships, these seem to preclude the use of a random map mode, because the Civ 3 engine can't generate 100% land maps, or 95% water maps with tiny archipelagos of planets. The main premise of this mod is that the space ships will fly around on land and water depending on the context. Land tiles will be considered "Galactic" tiles, while water is "Intergalactic" tiles. The type of ships involved are thus restricted to galactic and intergalactic. The in game justification is to invoke the existence of Hyperspace, but that Hyperspace only exists in a bubble of ~5 or so light years (or however large a tile ends up being) surrounding a star. If you want to go the slow way, you use regular chemical, nuclear, antimatter, etc. engines, have a ship that is 99% fuel to do so, and have fun. Functionally speaking, no ship intended for galactic travel will have anything to do with that, and the only way they would use this travel is for intergalactic travel, travel between galaxies.

Naturally, I will be taking the approach that infantry and tank battalions are useless, and space ships are king.

The terrain is based on a blend of Stellaris graphics, Leavan’s Space Terrain, sepamu92's Space Terrain, and some of my own creation. It is still a work in progress however. Here is a sample of what I have so far:

WIP.png

Small red stars are M Stars, replacing Desert, Flood Plains, and Tundra.
Orange stars are K Stars, replacing Plains
Yellow Stars are G Stars, replacing Grassland

Forests/Mountains/Hills/Jungles I am still working on, hence the mix of graphics.

Pay no attention to the Playground Mod stuff in the background; this is my testbed map where I do quick graphics tests, and there will no pokemon in space. I guarantee it.

Units

The units for this will primarily be land units, space ships that fly around on the land tiles, where intergalactic ships will be more like transport ships with minimal defense values, if even that. They also won't even be considered "ships", but more like ramscoop frames which gather the tiny amount of interstellar and intergalactic hydrogen to power the core ship’s fusion drives, in order to justify why a ship can maneuver around in the ocean tiles when it should have spent all of its fuel getting to top speed and in cruising mode.

For interstellar travel, I didn't want to immediately throw in hyperspace travel, because I want civs to work up to it, and have it be as revolutionary of a discovery as gunpowder ended up being in normal Civ. I also didn't want to give up on the water/land space ship distinction, and also need to consider the effect roads can have, because of Civ 3 mechanics. What I settled on, is for humanity to have initially discovered hyperspace by the EM Drive, which generated reactionless propulsion seemingly violating Newton's Laws by interacting with hyperspace. Early interstellar travel will be primarily this, where ships are still limited to normal space slower than light transport, but eliminating the need to be 99% fuel by mass. Later on, workers can start building hyperspace beacons (roads), allowing units to move through hyperspace, and travel faster than light. I may keep options on the table with All Terrain as Road units as units who can navigate hyperspace without existing hyperspace beacons, but I don't have the full details on those yet.

Even further down the line, will be Alcubierre Drive equipped units, true FTL units with more than 1 movement will become available after the discovery of negative energy required for them to work. Fixed wormholes (both “natural”, taking advantage of pre-existing black holes and artificially created black holes) can be built, allowing the base game's airports and air lifting, but rather than the traditional paired wormholes that most science fiction uses, they will be considered Hyperspace “Cracks” that allow ships to enter and exit from any wormhole to any other wormhole.

I have not yet decided on how air units will function, if at all.

General Gameplay

One of the points early on, is that there will be no hyperspace network at the start of the game, making connecting up an empire impossible, sort of like those games with road building as a later tech. Additional emphasis will also be made on location unique buildings, like Wormhole Nexus or Neutron Star Research Stations, which can only be built in cities which have a Black Hole, or Neutron Star in its radius, to make the map more dynamic, where some locations have higher importance in an economic or strategic sense.

Pollution will be kept to a minimum, as these are generally unfun keeping a bunch of workers on standby to rush off and clean pollution the moment it spawns. No buildings will produce pollution, and a size 3 city will be set to 99, making it functionally impossible to reach. Rather, if a building needs to have a negative effect, it will do things like, reduce culture, production, and/or generate unhappiness instead, although reduction of culture will only be a downside if the city is generating culture before it is made. However, because I can’t get rid of volcanoes, pollution will be renamed “devastation”, and the volcano will be represented by Luminous Blue Variable stars like Eta Carinae, where they can explode multiple times in their lifetimes. Naturally, cleaning up said devastation will be a greater undertaking than running around and scrubbing the landscape, and have its turn duration increased.

As pollution will be reduced, individual tile improvements will have their construction time, and their value, increased. My preliminary numbers have, for example, a G class star (grassland) produces 1/1/1 food/shields/gold unimproved, but produces an extra 3/2/1 with irrigation/mines/road. This will make destroying improvements more valuable in time of war, as it is more difficult to rebuild them, and cause more economic damage.

Next Goals
First, I need to finish implementing the rest of the terrain graphics, followed by other things, like irrigation, terrain buildings, etc.

On the game design aspect, I need to work out an appropriate tech tree. Right now, I just have a list of buildings I plan to implement, but without a tech tree, it becomes hard to plan out what goes where. Preliminary, it will be separated into 4 ages, Type 1 Civilization, Type 2 Civilization pre-FTL, Type 2 Civilization post-FTL, and Type 3 Civilization, after each of the 3 types of civilizations on the Kardashev Scale that this mod is named after.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, I'll take up your offers for ideas and graphics if you're willing to offer them.

Some additional information:

One thought I've had, is that there will be a rather heavy offense/defense dichotomy, where the typical ships are offensive focused, while the defense focused ones will be things like defense satellites. These will be marked as wheeled units, and all terrain is impassible to wheeled units. They can move after roads are built, (animation could be like a freighter moving or something) but will have minimal attack, if anything.

As for justification as to why units don't just glass planets on a regular basis, in game lore/treaties. A planet whose orbital defenses are destroyed is obligated to surrender. If they don't, the attacking force is allowed to orbitally bombard targets until they do surrender. In return, attacking forces must take precautions to avoid damaging a planet, otherwise it would be considered a war crime.

Cities will probably end up being sectors, as they can encompass several stars, so it makes more sense conquering whole sectors by taking their administrative capital, while destroying the infrastructure of individual star systems.

Technology rules: Genetic Manipulation and computation has limitations. No going insane with it with gene modding everything, and no mind uploading, except for maybe very late game stuff.

As far as tech tree, here's what I've got so far:

Spoiler :

Era 1: Type 1 Civilization

Magnetic Ramscoops - Allow water transports
Gamma Ray Lasers - Gamma ray laser armed units (Graser Frigates, Graser Defense Satellites)
Dark Matter - Reveals Dark Matter (Not sure what to do with this yet; maybe it is required for anti-matter production)
Quantum Computers - Planetary Networks (Temple equivalent; sort of like the internet. I didn't want to include this as a science building, as it becomes a bit too overpowered)
High T Superconductors - Allow Solar Sail Laser Array (harbor equivalent)
Nanorobotics - Space Elevator (GW, requires orbital ring not sure what to do with this, as I can use it as production, or cultural. )
Dynamic Structural Support - Orbital Ring (25% prod)
Antimatter Production - Allows Antimatter farms (25% prod)
Cryogenics - Settlers (Not sure about this one; locking settlers behind a tech may have unintended consequences)
Contained Biospheres - Orbital farms (irrigation)
Bioformed Crops - Allows Granary equivalent (Bioforming Institute?). Prior to settling a new planet, there will be genetic incompatibilities, so you need to gene engineer them a bit.
Orbital Industry - Tier 1 workers (workers get better with better techs), Asteroid Mines (mines)
Orbital Habitats - Allow orbital space ports (Market equivalent)
Astrography - Allows Fleet Academy or some sort of barracks equivalent, Lagrangian Telescope (Library equivalent), and Reveals map??? (While realistic, I'm not sure if this is a good idea game playwise, as it eliminates exploration.)
Galactic Administration - Sector-Capital Complex (Courthouse equivalent, also allows "Edicts")
Interstellar Coordination - Unlocks Business, Production, and Research Edicts. (Edicts are relatively high maintenance improvements which replace each other, but allows you to specialize cities a bit more, with +50% commerce, 25% production, 50% research, etc.)
Quantum Gravity - Sort of a blank tech like Chemistry, sort of as a capstone tech to round out the era. 2 problems left in physics: the EM Drive, and Dark Energy. May give it something later on.

Era 2: Type 2 Civilization - Pre-FTL

Hyperphysics - Allows Hyperphysics Lab (university equivalent)
Von Neumann Machines - allows Nanoforge (production), Nanite Swarm (probably some weak attack, enslavement unit)
Gravitics- Allows Gravitic Fusion Plant (Bank equivalent)
Hyperspace Navigation - Allows Hyperspace Beacons (roads)
Negative Energy - Reveals Negative Energy
Field Modulation - Allows Nucleosynthesizer (boosts prod), x2 gold from wealth, requires Gravitics
Wormhole Stabilization - Allows Wormhole Nexus
Genetic Tailoring - Allows Gene Therpy Hospital (Happiness)
Cybernetics - Allows Cybernetic Clinic (Happiness)
Galactic Diplomacy/Xeno Diplomacy - Depending on whether I want aliens in the game or not. Allows Edict: Patron of the Arts
Martial Law - Intervention Battalion HQ (Police Station equivalent, but generates low unhappiness; may be worth it in war time, but otherwise have it disbanded)
Alcubbiere Drive - Allows movement 2 units

Era 2: Type 2 Civilization - Post-FTL

Hypermatter - Reveals hypermatter
Inertial Compensators - Allows blitz units
Neutronium Stabilization - Allows ships with Neutronium armor (ex: using Neutron stars), and manual creation of Neutronium
Wormhole Creation - Allow Artifical Wormhole Nexus, requires Hypermatter
Communication Wormholes - Allows Ansibles (Research lab equivalent) FTL Comm Relay (Radar Tower)
Star Lifting - Stellar Lifting Engine (production)
True AI - Allows Surveillance Web, Edict: Internal Surveillance

Era 2: Type 3 Civilization

Hypermatter Composites
Negative Matter Alloys
Void Armor
- Armor made of negative matter that absorbs matter/energy via ablation; probably requires negative energy and hypermatter
Ringworld -
Space-Time Engineering - Probably something to start out the Space Race victory, where you build your own baby universe.
Dyson Swarms - Dunno, maybe allows Matrioska Brains (Science) and Nicol-Dyson Arrays (defense/static artillery/autoproduces laser beam cruise missile shots), but after you built a Dyson Swarm SW? And even still, the scale of a Dyson Swarm/sphere is so huge, either it will be way under represented from what it can really do, or too game breaking to be useful.
True Dysons - Eh, this is pretty much fantasy, because a solid shell around a star is hardly ever going to work. Same thing with Dyson Swarms.

This is far from complete, as mentioned earlier.

As for justification as to why units don't just glass planets on a regular basis, in game lore/treaties. A planet whose orbital defenses are destroyed is obligated to surrender. If they don't, the attacking force is allowed to orbitally bombard targets until they do surrender. In return, attacking forces must take precautions to avoid damaging a planet, otherwise it would be considered a war crime.
Reminds me of the Ares Convention in the Battletech Universe. ;)

And I agree with Delta: This sounds interesting.

I will keep an eye on your progress.

Reminds me of the Ares Convention in the Battletech Universe. ;)

And I agree with Delta: This sounds interesting.

I will keep an eye on your progress.
It's a common enough idea apparently. :) I took inspiration from the Honor Harrington series with the Eridani Edict, and I'm sure there's plenty of other examples elsewhere.

Small update: Added Hills/Mountains/Volcanoes.

White Stars are A/F class stars, replacing hills
Blue and Purple Stars are O and B class stars, replacing mountains
The purple star in the red box is a Luminous Blue Variable star, the ones that explode multiple times because they are really unstable, replacing the volcano.

WIP2.png

However, I'm not particularly happy about its design, as it looks a bit too similar to the other O Class Stars, and made a second version:

WIP3.png

There's a couple of options:
1. Use the first version
2. Use the second version
3. Replace all mountain tiles regardless of whether they are snow mountains or regular mountains with the same Blue star, using one of the three purple stars as the volcanoes. Reduces overall color diversity, but makes them very distinct.

What does everyone think of them?

As of now, I'm planning on going back and tweaking the graphics for the stars at the end, as they do need some subtle variations between individual classes. Most notable are the G and K class stars, where there is a bright star visible in the same place for all of them, and that there seems to be something wrong with the M stars with a few rogue pixels here and there seemingly set incorrectly.

The pink mountain/vulcano stars are a bit bright - I would recommend making one of them with darker spots in the surface (i.e. increase contrast) - size might also be a way to make hills and mountains more different.
Would It be possible to make rivers as dustclouds, or is there any way to deactivate rivers for autogenerated maps?

Last edited:
The pink mountain/vulcano stars are a bit bright - I would recommend making one of them with darker spots in the surface (i.e. increase contrast) - size might also be a way to make hills and mountains more different.
Would It be possible to make rivers as dustclouds, or is there any way to deactivate rivers for autogenerated maps?
That's something to consider, I'll try playing around with it a bit more and see how that turns out.

I don't think you can deactivate rivers, as it and lakes (small enough bodies of water, I think 20 tiles?) will allow cities to grow to size 2. I'm trying to think of some sort of justification to keep a size 1 and size 2 city distinction, otherwise some cities will be able to grow past some arbitrary value while others can't, based on proximity to whatever rivers can be renamed to, and small bodies of inter-galactic space. My original idea was just to use rivers as hyperspace currents or cosmic strings or something, as they still cause neighboring tiles to generate extra commerce.

I'm actually half tempted to just remove the size 1/2 city distinction, and let cities grow without limit, but that's a pretty important core mechanic for things that is used in various city sizes for Forced Resettlement govs, and defenses for size 1/2/3 city distinctions.

Bigger update today:

WIP4.png

This is rather busy, but the new changes are that I replaced the forest, jungle, and marsh graphics with nebulas.
Reddish is the forest
Blue is the marsh
Teal is the jungle

I choose this color scheme because violet and green nebula are off limits, because those are too close to the magenta and green colors, and may present problems with the pcx, limiting the colors I had to work with. So I used a sort of rusty orange and two different shades of blue, because a more red color doesn't look too good as a nebula, and I needed to lump Marsh and Jungle to similar colors, and clearly differentiate forests.

Unfortunately, it looks like the old hills and mountains are cutting off the nebula graphics, but I don't know how to get around that, if at all possible.

In addition, I also added graphics for goody huts, improvements, and barbarian camps.
Goody Hut WIP.png

The Goody Hut. There are several different versions for variety, but the basic premise is that there is a planet with a space station orbiting around the star on the right side.

Barbarian Hut.png

Here is a barbarian camp. A cluster of 4 space stations, nothing special.

Terrain WIP.png

Mines (Asteroid Extractors), Irrigation (Orbital Farms), Hyperbeacons (roads). I am not super happy with how the Orbital Farms turned out, as a shell of green dots isn't very good in the visibility department, and you shouldn't need to squint to get the point across.

Bonus Grassland vs Grassland.png

Bonus Grassland, and regular Grassland. Basically I just put a small asteroid belt around it.

In addition, I've been continuing to work on the volcano, but I haven't been satisfied with what I've made yet. It's still a WIP, but for now I'll just be using the purple star with gas jets coming out of it.

Last edited:
I don't think you can deactivate rivers, as it and lakes (small enough bodies of water, I think 20 tiles?) will allow cities to grow to size 2. I'm trying to think of some sort of justification to keep a size 1 and size 2 city distinction, otherwise some cities will be able to grow past some arbitrary value while others can't, based on proximity to whatever rivers can be renamed to, and small bodies of inter-galactic space.
I'm actually half tempted to just remove the size 1/2 city distinction, and let cities grow without limit, but that's a pretty important core mechanic for things that is used in various city sizes for Forced Resettlement govs, and defenses for size 1/2/3 city distinctions.
Not certain, but I vaguely remember that other requirements can be set for city growth. If it's a resource the simplest solution is to require a resource that never appears on the map.

I choose this color scheme because violet and green nebula are off limits, because those are too close to the magenta and green colors, and may present problems with the pcx, limiting the colors I had to work with.
In this context there's no such thing as colors being "too close" as far as the game engine is concerned. This is a case where it's important to remember that it's not the color, but the position in the colormap that matters. You can make any two colors the invisible colors as long as they are in the last two slots in the colormap. You can have green and magenta visible on the map if you want - have them in any other place in the colormap.

Unfortunately, it looks like the old hills and mountains are cutting off the nebula graphics, but I don't know how to get around that, if at all possible.
The game engine places the terrain down in layers. Forests get layered over grassland for example. Mountains get layered over the forest, marsh, jungle, ... If by "the old hills and mountains" you mean the standard graphics that you haven't changed yet, I don't see any examples in the posted images.

Mountains and hills use the grassland file as their base terrain. so whatever part of the mountain pcx is the invisible color will show the grassland underneath. Covering more of the pcx with other colors so the grass doesn't show through is ok. Keep in mind that whatever is "above the diamond" will cover anything behind it - other mountains, any base terrains, overlays such as forests ...

If the problem is that you want stars to sometimes be within a nebula try experimenting with the "mountains jungle", "mountains forest", and "Mountains-snow" (tundra) pcx. If you make those pcx so that the star is surrounded by whatever colors the nebula is then you will get the effect you want in at least some places.

I am not super happy with how the Orbital Farms turned out, as a shell of green dots isn't very good in the visibility department, and you shouldn't need to squint to get the point across.
Maybe something that gives the suggestion of a ring/belt of farms?

Not certain, but I vaguely remember that other requirements can be set for city growth. If it's a resource the simplest solution is to require a resource that never appears on the map.

I don't think there's any restrictions to growing beyond a size 1 city, other than enough food and a source of fresh water (building with "Allow Size 2 City" flag checked, next to a river, or a 20 tile or less body of water). Growing beyond a size 2 city will require the building with "Allow Size 3 City" flag, but you also can't grow up to size 2 if size 3 is lower than size 2.

I'll look through the forums again and see if anything pops up.

In this context there's no such thing as colors being "too close" as far as the game engine is concerned. This is a case where it's important to remember that it's not the color, but the position in the colormap that matters. You can make any two colors the invisible colors as long as they are in the last two slots in the colormap. You can have green and magenta visible on the map if you want - have them in any other place in the colormap.
I think when I wrote that I was referencing that I would prefer to avoid using green/pink so when creating the palette via the reducing method it wouldn't be too much trouble with similar colors, so that isn't that big of a problem fundamentally, and I'll probably let the magenta/pink back on the table (although it is kinda painful on the eyes).

However, I still want to avoid using green to make the gaia/verdant planet bonus resources stand out a bit more. For the goody huts planets for example, I'll probably tweak the file a bit so that the planets will always contain some aspect of green for that extra visibility.

The game engine places the terrain down in layers. Forests get layered over grassland for example. Mountains get layered over the forest, marsh, jungle, ... If by "the old hills and mountains" you mean the standard graphics that you haven't changed yet, I don't see any examples in the posted images.

Mountains and hills use the grassland file as their base terrain. so whatever part of the mountain pcx is the invisible color will show the grassland underneath. Covering more of the pcx with other colors so the grass doesn't show through is ok. Keep in mind that whatever is "above the diamond" will cover anything behind it - other mountains, any base terrains, overlays such as forests ...

If the problem is that you want stars to sometimes be within a nebula try experimenting with the "mountains jungle", "mountains forest", and "Mountains-snow" (tundra) pcx. If you make those pcx so that the star is surrounded by whatever colors the nebula is then you will get the effect you want in at least some places.
I was referring to what I replaced the hills/mountains graphics as, the white stars and bluish stars. Some of them which are next to nebulas cut them off, so there's a flat unnatural looking edge:
edge.png

In that case, since it goes base terrain > Forests > Hills/Mountains, and grassland is beneath the hills/mountains, the approach will probably be to eliminate all of the black space (or as much of it as possible). However, if using the grassland, it will have some of the yellowish background glow underneath. I'll try testing that out and see how it looks. Maybe a combination of both, where the ones without forests/jungles will have the background glow, while the ones with will not, or at a much smaller ring around it.

Maybe something that gives the suggestion of a ring/belt of farms?

I do like that look, I'll probably be using something similar in the end.

Update:

More graphical update, this time adding some resources to make the map more alive, and finishing up more improvements.

WIP5.png

M Binary.png

K Binaries.png

Some binary stars, M and K binaries. Basically binary stars will add a little bit of extra gold generation because more sunlight from stars.

Metallic World.png

FTL Relay Verdant City.png

Some planets (Metallic, Ocean, Verdant). These do various bonuses and penalties, roughly balanced so that you don't have super systems. For example, Metallic planets give a lot of extra shields, at the cost of less food because your food is exclusively space based to avoid heavy metal poisoning. Those with less of a raw bonus don't have penalties, for example the Gaian World (not shown) just gives a food bonus.

Also seen is the FTL Relay (Radar Tower), and what the city graphics are. With walls, they are replaced with a ring of fortresses.

Fortress and Barricade.png

The Fortress and the Fortress with a Barricade. Borg Sphere, and a shielded Borg Sphere, nothing special.

Outpost.png

Outpost.

So because tiny spheres don't give me much room to work with to add various details, I've been trying to make do with what I have. I try to make planets a distinct color so you can quickly determine what it is without having to squint too much, but there's only so much I can do.

For example, I'm not particularly happy with how the metallic planet turned out, but since I already have a Tomb World (a radioactive planet, either because the people there before had a nuclear war, or was subject to a supernova explosion sterilization event), I can't use grey. I aimed for a rusty red, like Mars, but it may be a bit counter-intuitive.

In addition, I've changed the locations of the planet and star binaries, allowing me to reuse colors because you can then tell which one it is based on the location alone.

Also, Neutron Star and Black Holes are a pain to get working properly. I eventually settled on these, however I'm not too happy about the Black Hole one to be perfectly honest:

Black Hole 4.png

Neutron Star 2.png

Some of the frustration with things not looking right is because they are so small that there's a loss of detail. Looking at the screenshots, the stars could probably be a little bit bigger - which would let the planets be bigger as well while staying in proportion. It doesn't need to be a lot. It's amazing how much difference a few extra pixels make.

The problem that I was running into, is that I was using black holes and neutron stars as resources, which are overlaid on top of the terrain, so the graphic itself needs to be robust enough to blend graphically with both stars and nebula.

Originally, I wanted the black holes and neutron stars to replace any stars, if there are any, but that looked horrible with the background glow of the larger stars. As of now, I settled as being a modifier, similar to the planets.

I'm in the process of playing around with transparencies for the resource_shadows.pcx file to see how it looks though.

While restricting them to stars or nebula is an option and tailoring them to that, that only covers the initial spawn conditions for nebulas, as once you clear the nebula (with the clear forest action), you're back to the same situation. For stars, I did not want to restrict the black hole spawns to just stars, as it is important to have black holes spawn in the jungle equatorial belt in a random map, as well as being appropriately surrounded in gas clouds as if it just exploded in a supernova.

Regardless, I'll also try resizing the stars a bit as well and see how that looks. One of the concerns I had with other space terrains, was that their stars looked a lot like a pool filled with beach balls, so I tried to avoid them being too big in this one.

Last edited:
Yeah, if they're resources then there's the tiny pixel count which is fixed. OTOH you can push their size to the limit. They don't need any surrounding black space. Take a look at Vuldacon's icons for an example of how large you can get.

Last edited:
Bluemofia, that´s great stuff you are doing here! :goodjob:

I made a big space mod for Civ 2 ToT many years ago ( and I consider that mod as my by far best civ modding work I have ever done). I attache here a screenshot from one of my earliest postings at CFC iin 2005. May be there is some inspiration here for you. You could set the "land"-graphics to resources -many different resources - that hold planets, suns and other scifi related stuff. The best city graphics for a "galactic space mod" are no city graphics. Set the city graphics to transparency and you will have the inhabitated planet as the "city". I never measured, if it is possible in Civ 3 to cover the whole landmass of a random map with different resources., but may be it should be worth a try. Make the city walls planetary shields as you can see it in the screenshot at the Cylon planet of Cosmara.

Spoiler :

"Captain, sensors reading a battlewaggon coming out of hyperspace behind us."

"Relax ensign, this is a battlestar of the Lost Colonies, they are on our side. At least they were, when we contacted them the last time. Close up the Enterprise to firing range against the Kilrathi Ralari"

"What´s that - fireballs coming out from the Kilrathi ship!"
"Th - that was the Excelsior, captain"

"My god, the cats have plasma weapons - and beind us a bioterminator is on his devastating way to Sagitaria. Full speed ahead to the whormhole back to our galaxy."
(Reminiscence to CGW "Hanging from Orion´s Belt")

If I would have the time to do a Civ 3 space mod, I would use a fixed map with a "one land tile -one water-tile" -rooster and random starting locations. I would set all terrain tiles to black (this would be a terrain set I could do :D) and fill the map with tons of different resources - but that´s a different approach than you do it.

Good luck with your interesting project. :).

Last edited:
Bluemofia, that´s great stuff you are doing here! :goodjob:

I made a big space mod for Civ 2 ToT many years ago ( and I consider that mod as my by far best civ modding work I have ever done). I attache here a screenshot from one of my earliest postings at CFC iin 2005. May be there is some inspiration here for you. You could set the "land"-graphics to resources -many different resources - that hold planets, suns and other scifi related stuff. The best city graphics for a "galactic space mod" are no city graphics. Set the city graphics to transparency and you will have the inhabitated planet as the "city". I never measured, if it is possible in Civ 3 to cover the whole landmass of a random map with different resources., but may be it should be worth a try. Make the city walls planetary shields as you can see it in the screenshot at the Cylon planet of Cosmara.

Spoiler :

"Captain, sensors reading a battlewaggon coming out of hyperspace behind us."

"Relax ensign, this is a battlestar of the Lost Colonies, they are on our side. At least they were, when we contacted them the last time. Close up the Enterprise to firing range against the Kilrathi Ralari"

"What´s that - fireballs coming out from the Kilrathi ship!"
"Th - that was the Excelsior, captain"

"My god, the cats have plasma weapons - and beind us a bioterminator is on his devastating way to Sagitaria. Full speed ahead to the whormhole back to our galaxy."
(Reminiscence to CGW "Hanging from Orion´s Belt")

If I would have the time to do a Civ 3 space mod, I would use a fixed map with a "one land tile -one water-tile" -rooster and random starting locations. I would set all terrain tiles to black (this would be a terrain set I could do :D) and fill the map with tons of different resources - but that´s a different approach than you do it.

Good luck with your interesting project. :).
Civinator, thank you for your response.

The biggest problem with the approach of using all planets/stars/etc. as resources, and using land tiles as empty space to host them, is that there is no guarantee that the random map generation does not generate them on all tiles. It may be possible to fill the resource list with hundreds of resources, but I don't think it guarantees Civ3 to saturate the map with them, and it becomes progressively more unlikely on larger and larger maps. This becomes problematic to justify why the space ships cannot fly into some seemingly empty space (ocean), while other empty space is good to fly through (resource-less land tiles).

Regarding the graphic-less cities, that is something that I have considered, and I am keeping that option open in case if I don't like how my current setup turns out in the end. Right now, because Goody Huts, Barbarian Camps, and the colony terrain improvement contains some space stations, I felt that it would be strange that a major Nation's cities or planets don't contain any space infrastructure, so I settled with using satellites and space fortresses.

Top Bottom