Kerbal Space Program

I loaded it up briefly yesterday to check out the new parts and stuff.

I didn't notice too many changes in the parts really, but there is some new stuff, including some new engines. The main difference I noticed in my one test flight is that your launch site is marked on the map view, and so are the alternate launch site and the airfield. It really helps me orient myself in map view so I appreciate those additions. But mind you maybe that was a 1.4 addition and not DLC addition, I wouldn't really know

Other than that the missions part of it doesn't seem to be well thought out or implemented. But I only went in there briefly to try to confirm what everybody else seems to be saying (that it's very rough around the edges) but admittedly didn't get very far

I was wondering if somebody could tell me how to easier snap parts to each other if there's other parts in the way? For instance when you're building an aircraft, you put on the wing, and then add in fuselages on both sides, for the engines. But when you go ahead and try to attach the fuselages, the game moves them around for you, because the wings are in the way.. so you are fairly limited in where you can put them, really limiting your design options

How do you get around that? I've seen in some videos people click things and there's arrows and you can move stuff around. I think that might be a mod but I'm not even really sure, or if it would help me do what I want. (I basically want to have a bunch of engines hiding in a fuel tank, and a docking port at the end of the fuel tank, so that stuff can dock to it, but the engines can also fire and give you thrust. I was able to do this only once, sort of by accident. Now when I try to do this, I just can't place stuff because other stuff is in the way)

Is anyone playing still?

Has anyone tried the new 5 metre fuselages? I think they're new anyway. My problem is that the 5 metre fairing is actually 6 metres.. or 5.5? It's bigger than the fuselage and it looks ugly. It's been like that for weeks, and I don't see anyone complaining about this anywhere, aside from one guy.. so maybe I'm doing something wrong.. but..

Nobody complains because everybody is using the rescaling mod. :p

I loaded it up briefly yesterday to check out the new parts and stuff.

I didn't notice too many changes in the parts really, but there is some new stuff, including some new engines. The main difference I noticed in my one test flight is that your launch site is marked on the map view, and so are the alternate launch site and the airfield. It really helps me orient myself in map view so I appreciate those additions. But mind you maybe that was a 1.4 addition and not DLC addition, I wouldn't really know

Other than that the missions part of it doesn't seem to be well thought out or implemented. But I only went in there briefly to try to confirm what everybody else seems to be saying (that it's very rough around the edges) but admittedly didn't get very far

I was wondering if somebody could tell me how to easier snap parts to each other if there's other parts in the way? For instance when you're building an aircraft, you put on the wing, and then add in fuselages on both sides, for the engines. But when you go ahead and try to attach the fuselages, the game moves them around for you, because the wings are in the way.. so you are fairly limited in where you can put them, really limiting your design options

How do you get around that? I've seen in some videos people click things and there's arrows and you can move stuff around. I think that might be a mod but I'm not even really sure, or if it would help me do what I want. (I basically want to have a bunch of engines hiding in a fuel tank, and a docking port at the end of the fuel tank, so that stuff can dock to it, but the engines can also fire and give you thrust. I was able to do this only once, sort of by accident. Now when I try to do this, I just can't place stuff because other stuff is in the way)
The new airstrip/launch pad are from the DLC not an update.

I don't know of any better way to attach parts that don't come from a mod. Attaching parts has always been a frustrating experience as the game tries to interpret what you are trying to do and does it wrong every time.

Is anyone playing still?

Has anyone tried the new 5 metre fuselages? I think they're new anyway. My problem is that the 5 metre fairing is actually 6 metres.. or 5.5? It's bigger than the fuselage and it looks ugly. It's been like that for weeks, and I don't see anyone complaining about this anywhere, aside from one guy.. so maybe I'm doing something wrong.. but..
I haven't played for a while. I *almost* bought the DLC then found out it would break all my mods and the few parts it gives don't offset the loss so I'm waiting for mods to catch up before I take the plunge.

I haven't seen the particular fairing you're talking about but all the stock fairings in the base game are freaking hideous so there's that.
But all the other fairings are fine. I'm waiting for them to fix this one but.. *crickets*

No, the other fairings are garbage. I would not hold your breath waiting for them to fix this one. :lol:

I got the DLC for free because I bought the game before the cutoff date. Didn't you get it before me even?

As for the fairings, they better get fixed! Right now the 5m ones are just not usable, as they aren't actually 5m.

There is also an "exploding lander legs" bug in the latest version, and they haven't fixed it yet for some reason.. well, I don't think. Last I loaded up the game my ships blow up on the launchpad.. but are fine if I take the legs off. Others have reported the same issue

Yeah I got it before you. At some point I switched over to steam. I don't think I re-bought it but in any case when I switched over I lost my login credentials for the old source. I have no idea how to get them back.

Yeah I got it before you. At some point I switched over to steam. I don't think I re-bought it but in any case when I switched over I lost my login credentials for the old source. I have no idea how to get them back.

I switched over to steam too though, and I checked the day after the DLC came out (or so) and I had the DLC in my steam account. But it took a while to get there, because a couple hours after the DLC came out I didn't have it yet.

I saw a bunch of people on reddit complaining that they didn't get theirs either, but then it slowly started trickling in.. I guess they were going through a list maybe and doing them one by one? Some people emailed in "hey I didn't get mine yet" and in the end everyone seemed to be set up

So maybe just email them and see what's up, even if you don't have proof. Maybe they do and you just got missed

Kerbal Space Program: Making History. Added 8/10/2013

Oh wow yeah it does show up in my queue. I think I'm still going to hold off until the mods are fixed to work with it.

Yeah plus it's really annoying to run into the "exploding lander legs" bug. For some people it happens when they're landing.. for me it happens right on the launchpad, so I can't even take off. Plus if you want to build a 5m rocket and include fairings, the fairings are F'd up too

I have no idea why they're not pushing out fixes to these asap

I've been reading a book on space stations and now I really want to build space stations. Then I remember how awful the docking experience is in this game (and it gets worse the larger your ships are) and thought better of it. My number 1 problem is that the docking modules fail to engage on most of my attempts. I do not know why but they just straight up fail to magnetize and latch together. It doesn't matter if I'm going slow or fast or if SAS is engaged or disengaged. The stupid things just don't work.

The other big problem is how glitchy and slow the game gets when you are trying to dock big modules.

Maybe I'm some sort of a docking master now, but I never have problems with docking anymore. Mind you I only ever use the largest Sr. docking port, which probably makes docking easier. I haven't used the medium or small docking port in years

I also always treat every single docking maneuver as pretty much sex with a virgin. I move in soooo slowly and use my RCS thrusters in minute ways at the end to gently bring the two docking ports together very slowly. I do this because my RCS maneuvering skills in 3D aren't great, so if my docking maneuver fails I don't want to have to re-orient everything. This way if I fail it's no big deal, we were almost not moving anyway

Having said all that I haven't docked in 1.4 yet I don't think, so maybe stuff has changed

I normally use Mechjeb's smartASS to point to the other ship docking port as target, in both ships. That will line up both them. Then when i am pretty close, i kill rotation of the other ship and only keep smartASS enabled in my ship, from that point only some manual input is needed. That way you can dock anything easy.

Maybe I'm some sort of a docking master now, but I never have problems with docking anymore. Mind you I only ever use the largest Sr. docking port, which probably makes docking easier. I haven't used the medium or small docking port in years

I also always treat every single docking maneuver as pretty much sex with a virgin. I move in soooo slowly and use my RCS thrusters in minute ways at the end to gently bring the two docking ports together very slowly. I do this because my RCS maneuvering skills in 3D aren't great, so if my docking maneuver fails I don't want to have to re-orient everything. This way if I fail it's no big deal, we were almost not moving anyway

Having said all that I haven't docked in 1.4 yet I don't think, so maybe stuff has changed
I have consistent problems with all sizes of docking ports - even the grabbers fail to engage 50% of the time. I wish I had recording of all the docking port failures I've had, you'd see how ridiculous it can be. I'm actually good at docking, I've just gotten fed up with the inconsistency of the docking ports and try to avoid it. My docking manuevers usually take over an hour to pull off because I'm flying them very gingerly and making sure to get everything just right.

Although the more I read this book, the more I realize that my experiences with KSP docking lines up perfectly with reality. The early space stations had more docking failures than I can count. The Russians even had to abandon an entire space station once after they failed to dock with it on two consecutive missions and had to abort probably a half dozen manned missions altogether because of docking failures causing them to run out of fuel. At least one of these aborts led to the cosmonauts being injured by a 20g ballistic re-entry.

Harrowing stuff really. Space is ****ing hard.

Going by my "how to dock" learning curve in KSP I guess I am not surprised by any of that!

I am giving up trying to design my BSR (Big Snake Rocket). I used clipping to get all the stuff I needed in there, but now when I land things easily explode. The exploding landing legs are now fixed (thanks take two) but this has been an unsustainable design and I am giving itup

The majority of the problems they experienced weren't with figuring out how to dock, it was almost always the case that the docking clamps failed to engage properly. Just like KSP. :lol: The Russians are quite good at lining up for docking and have done it completely automatically for decades before the US had the same capability.

I can't say I've ever had docking problems wrt the actual attachment ports. Kraken docking OTOH...

This is "Fat Penguin" aka "Gooser". The third test flight ended up being the closest successful takeoff I've ever done

You could get it up to almost 400 m/s before it started slowing down and/or blowing up. For the next version I will have to add more boosters and probably some struts

Cant you use a couple of big engines instead of
200 tiny ones? It would be much more fps friendly.

Top Bottom