Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Leonel, Jul 15, 2011.

1. J-man

J-man Deity

I hope they will add some planets or moons. It's not that i don't like the direction KSP is currently heading in (science points, reputation and money) but the most fun part is to design a spaceship and then land it on a moon or planet and return your Kerbal. Gives a good deal of satisfaction, especially if it's hard.

2. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

It would be amazing if the game had another "stage" with interstellar travel and randomly generated solar systems. Endless worlds to explore... *_*

...add some "anomalies" to these randomly generated planets (basicially like stuff we have now - hidden easter eggs, canyons, arches, gravity anomalies, etc.) and KSP would be the new Minecraft. :D

3. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I don't think interstellar is really required for the game's scope, though. A distant comet on a highly eccentric orbit could be a good final challenge.

I do like the idea of filling out the Kerbol system with a few more unusual planets, as each location would provide a different design challenge. The fissures on Eeloo, the second gas giant planet, maybe a really hot moon, a moon with some tiny atmosphere in large craters, those are all ideas that haven't seen an official release yet.

4. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Some features which are already implemented via community mods are a need and should be added to the game. I am thinking on KAS and Remote Tech, which gives sense to having kerbals in your ships, or some kind of resource system so you can expand building useful colonies and space stations, like MKS, TACLS and ORS which gives you real goals through the game. These little things transform KSP from a very good game to simply amazing.

5. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Besides all the little things like deadly reentry, real chutes, fairings, and a good aerodynamics model. ;)

6. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Yeah, I gotta say I prefer Antilogic's list of stock-inclusions.

Aero model is absolutely essential (and that comes with fairings). Real chutes because it's simply an improvement in every way. Deadly Reentry could be optional.

7. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Antilogic list adds realism, my list adds a wider scope to the game. That said the first mods i download when installing KSP are Ferram AR and deadly reentry.

However Squad is adding a simplified resource system for 0.90 so you can refuel your ship in the middle of a mission. So it seems Squad prefer my list after all. :p

BTW: Presentation thread of KSP at Orbiter forum 3+ years ago. Interesting read for knowing how primitive KSP was at the beginning and to see people reactions.

8. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I do like the idea of RemoteTech, although I have not done much with that mod yet. Especially for landing probes on other planets, the delay matters a great deal. If anything, there are only a few more challenging bodies the designers need to add to fully widen that angle out. A ringed gas giant with a couple oddball moons would be perfect. Or an asteroid belt.

I don't think all of these are unreasonable, the designers mentioned aerodynamics in the thread so they might look towards an aero model which naturally fits with deadly reentry and fairings. In any case, we still have the modders to keep the other stuff coming, so joy!

9. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

You have to include FTL in order to get there in any time span that you can physically pull off.

How bad is it?

Link to video.
    That is just to reach the speed of light

If you made a actual craft in the game that could travel such distances without cheats...

you still take weeks to months RL at max time warp to reach Proxima Centauri. And i dont mean you play for a few hours a day for that time, but literally weeks and months of nonstop game being on.

Most likely months, because of the issue of fuel. And that you might want to slow down when you get there.

10. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

You could just use insanely overpowered engines and modified distances. Or just use a seperate menu for interplanetary navigation and let the vessels depart/arrive at/close to Lagrangian points.

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Initially randomly generated solar system you could visit were a part of their plan.. IIRC.. but they've since decided to focus on other aspects of the game and leave that out. Maybe it'll come back.

12. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Deity

Hey everyone... KSP just went Beta. It is now in version .90!

13. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I spent the last couple hours in a new career mode game. Kinda wish I had decent probe cores to start with and a two-man capsule for Gemini-equivalent missions, but still enjoying myself.

I was doing a bunch of "test random stuff" contracts with the Zippidity Doo Dah series of rockets (so they stay at the bottom of the VAB list later on). Managed to do a lunar orbit mission with Jeb to really beef up my funds.

14. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Much as I want to dive into the new update, I'm going to have to wait until ferram updates the aerodynamics. The soup is unbearable.

15. Antilogic

Antilogic --

It is a bit of an adjustment from FAR. I'm also really missing fairings, and to a less extent stuff like DRE and real chutes. The rockets just look so ugly without nosecones!

16. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Arrg. Just now that RL is monopolizing all my time.

About the modders i am sure they are working harder than ever to update to the new version. Is it me or is KSP becoming the best game ever? At least from a nerdy point of view...

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I really like how you now start with a crappy space program - with buildings that limit you and so on. But I wish the contracts weren't for the most part: "Test part X", but rather "Fly to this and this and do this".

Testing parts is boring. Do the contracts get better later on? Maybe it's only the first couple ones that focus on part testing..? I hope..

18. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I had a bit of fun doing the parts tests until it became a chore because of the random conditions you have to test them in (no way am I testing a massive SRB in effing space, and it's virtually impossible to get to 500 m/s under 8 km with the part limitations I had).

I was strapped for cash until I started doing the survey missions, those are awesome cash generators. I have a pretty cheap two-seater plane that can "kneel" on its landing gear because I don't have extendable ladders yet, and I've been using it to do a couple Kerbin survey missions. That with a Mun orbital survey gave me enough money to upgrade almost every building once. Once I got out from under the funding boot, I've been doing well.

Other stuff I like: I love the concept of building upon a crappy space program, especially when my first tests with the skipper were on stacks of tiny 2.5m tanks that were later replaced because I could research larger fuel tanks. I also have built a dedicated Mun orbiter for survey missions, it is the first time I have built a craft for this purpose and it handles really well.

Stuff that bugs me: I should be able to have a launch escape system on the first manned capsule I send up, or start with unmanned rockets until I can. And I wish docking and different capsules would open up quicker, but you need the really expensive R&D upgrade to get them. However, I really want modders to put together a new tech tree/progression structure with the "core" mods I like and maybe KW Rocketry to make it more historic or realistic and less, well, kerbally.

19. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Class IV

Wait, you mean the Saturn V wasn't built before the Wright Brothers' plane? :eek:

20. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Funny story, but... :mischief: