Key witness in Botham Jean case shot to death.

Personally, I don't see much difference between being on-duty and off-duty.

But there is. When not at work you are in a different mindset. She didn't walk into the apartment with the mindset of being an officer on the job. When at home, I don't act the same way I do when on the job (such as language I use). Texting while on the job should be prohibited (because it's a distraction), but would you suggest the general public (which she is when off duty) should be prohibited to be texting while walking into an apartment, in case you walk into the wrong one?

If this was a police issued firearm, then that is an issue, and IMO police shouldn't be allowed to take them home with them.

is it true the door was open when she arrived? Maybe thats why she was sure a burglar was inside, she probably had her gun out going in. I was wondering how she walked into his apt... still, the guy was sitting on the couch eating ice cream. She wont be making detective

But there is. When not at work you are in a different mindset. She didn't walk into the apartment with the mindset of being an officer on the job. When at home, I don't act the same way I do when on the job (such as language I use). Texting while on the job should be prohibited (because it's a distraction), but would you suggest the general public (which she is when off duty) should be prohibited to be texting while walking into an apartment, in case you walk into the wrong one?

If this was a police issued firearm, then that is an issue, and IMO police shouldn't be allowed to take them home with them.
I do not immediately lose every single piece of impulse training I've ever had the moment I walk out of the office. I would presume this is the case for people who are literally trained to hold onto impulse to stop them from accidentally killing people. Maybe that's a bad assumption, I don't know.

I hold people in positions of power to higher standards than people without that power. They're meant to have that power in the first place because they're able to use it conscientiously, though naturally the Internet in general is a great counterpoint to that idealism.

I would presume this is the case for people who are literally trained to hold onto impulse to stop them from accidentally killing people. Maybe that's a bad assumption, I don't know.

It's a bad assumption because police in the US are literally trained to shoot when in doubt and commonly receive reprimands for taking "unnecessary risks" when they do things that would stop them from accidentally killing people.

It's a bad assumption because police in the US are literally trained to shoot when in doubt and commonly receive reprimands for taking "unnecessary risks" when they do things that would stop them from accidentally killing people.
It's once again a bit glib, but this is not helping me think US police officers who happened to murder someone should be allowed back on the streets :p I mean, ideally, dismantle that whole police culture and anyone who engenders it, but that's a longer-term goal to reach.

My problem is a constant struggle (which believe me, I go full introspective on, pretty regularly) on what we can do now to mitigate specfic events and trauma, and what needs to be done long-term in a way that can't easily be abused along the way (or after the fact). For the record: definitely don't regret the discussion with you here, either - it's helped :)

Regardless, definitely my mistake on the assumption.

I do not immediately lose every single piece of impulse training I've ever had the moment I walk out of the office.

Cops are trained that if they do shoot, then shoot to kill, not wound. That part of her impulse training remained. Unfortunately, the part of the impulse training of whether to shoot at all did not.

Top Bottom