1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #19: Qin Shi Huang

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

Woohoo! 3 down 14 to go. Japanese gold coming soon which is more happy too.

Trying to get a religion before calendar could be a good play (shame Asoka doesn't have one to take). Religion is really strong in AW if you can get one, and especially so here where you are going to have a LOT of cities to set up.

2. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Haha! Did you really call the Great Lighthouse "not a fantastic Wonder?" If it isn't (especially with Colossus,) what is?

3. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

I noted a + 60% increase of net research after the construction of the GLH.

4. bobbyboy29

bobbyboy29 I was saying boo-urns...

Come on Neal, surely a quick detour to get AH is worth it! I see at least 3 unimproved pastures begging to be worked (especially in food starved karakorum). Plus, the mobility of horse units is seriously important, even more so in an AW game where an surprise AI stack may force you to race units long ways to defend different fronts.

5. WelshGandalf

WelshGandalf King

I'd go AH (only 5 turns, sounds like you need it) -> Calendar (to get your economy going), in the meantime build more cho-ku-nus. Maybe train them on that barbarian city. Then construction for catapults so you can really tear into the indians, and currency to keep your economy going.

After that, either settle your huge amount of land/islands, or build up & upgrade your army and go west, up to you :)

6. The Oz-Man

The Oz-Man Enter: The VAIKE!

AH is going to be a breeze to knock off. That then Calendar sounds like a good plan. It's been fun seeing you indulge your inner builder in this game given the nature of the scenario, and the Mausoleum is always a killer wonder to nab.

No complaints about steamrolling Asoka. Once you do that you'll have basically secured all of east Asia, since the update seems to suggest that Cathy has her hands full elsewhere (with Cyrus, I bet).

With Asoka full of lots of bloody little crossbow bolt holes, you'll be free to settle the East Indies at your leisure, but with a tech lead like the one you seem to have, I'd almost say just start marching west and don't stop 'til you smell the Atlantic. That's how Qin seems to play out on this map anyway, so hey, go for it.

Really interested in seeing what Hattie's up to, though. Mansa and Saladin are apparently still alive, but if she can get metals, she's going to be a force.

7. Neal

Neal King of the World

D'Oh! I literally just read "George Washington something" and mentally filled in the blank. Shoot. I have fewer jokes about the Panama Canal. Well, fewer jokes that I can share on a family forum, anyway...

8. bobbyboy29

bobbyboy29 I was saying boo-urns...

"A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!" Try saying that backwards!

Maybe as a compromise you could make jokes about canals which are made out of peanuts?

9. dalamb

dalamb Deity

Maybe a clever person could figure out a joke based on "Arsenic and Old Lace" -- a comedy where two crazy little old ladies kept killing people and having their crazy housemate (a brother or something?) dig graves by saying "Teddy, time to dig another lock on the canal" (he thought he was Teddy Roosevelt).

10. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

Somehow fitting (at least to nerds) that Goethals' initials were GWG. :):p:D:cool::D:p:)

11. LuCiver

LuCiver Warlord

AH first, but afterwards is nobody in the mood for Monarchy? Cheaper than Calendar, solves the happy problem, already have MPs in all your cities so doesn't require worker turns together happy. And he's Da King!

12. Archredbeard

Archredbeard Warlord

Calendar first is my vote, its gonna be a lot of easy commerce as well, then AH, construction horsebackriding and go knock on Cyrus with phants/cats and Choku's, because Asoka should fall to the might of the raw Choku's while you tech further.

Hehe, im already tempted to load up a Earth map(again :p).

Nice dealing with Toku btw :goodjob:

13. The Oz-Man

My big reason for supporting Calendar is that it enables both happy resources and the MoM--and since most of the military opposition so far seems to have come from barbs, Neal has a little time to devote some hammers to it.

Forgot to mention: I think a super-medic would be the best use for the GG. Once you start on the Indian campaign, you're going to want to keep chugging through until you're into Pakistan, and a super-medic ensures that you won't need to slow down much.

14. Neal

Neal King of the World

Regarding the AH thing, yeah, it's cheap, but what's it gonna do for us? Nab us some more Food? Most of our cities have more Food than they know what to do with, anyway. We need Happiness to make use of that Food first! Though I will say, Chariots would make some mighty fine Scout replacements for checking out hostile territory....

15. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

Calendar-AH is better IMO due to the reasons Neal posted above.

16. LuCiver

LuCiver Warlord

Yeah, who needs food. There would be no reason to build pastures for 6 turns, then build up an angry worker or two in pop ready to whip once monarchy comes in.

IMO, Calendar+plantations=delayed war. Don't squander your Cho Ko's.

17. The Oz-Man

AH gets horses online, and I'm pretty sure you have them in China. Chariots and Horse Archers will be sort of meh at this point, but it does line up Knights down the line, which are going to be even more handy once you need to shuttle support from your core cities (which are growing further and further away from the front lines) to the front.

Of course, that doesn't really make AH necessary now. I'm convinced; go Calendar first. :p

18. strijder20

I do not see why Neal can't just build CKNs while teching calendar and building plantations.
    I do not know whether he has construction or not, though.

19. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

^^What does he need construction for if he has Cho-Ko-Late Crossbowmen?

Colosseum for +Happiness? Faster movement across rivers?

He just needs to build them and some spears to protect them.

20. strijder20

I don't know what he needs Construction for, LuCiver said 'Neal had to focus on the war instead of teching Calendar'. I interpreted that as researching a military tech, and here construction seems the most obvious one.
    And catapults can still bombard down defences, which CKNs can't.