KotOR Mafia - game thread

So, the Jedi/Republic/Exile are Town (except BL, who had the Wealth victory), Revanchists and Triumvirate are Mafia, and Bounty Hunters and Neutrals (except Mat, who had the Innocent victory), are Neutral?

That's right, yes. The game certainly lasted a while and did rather well for a game that I thought for a year and more was never going to get played! :)

This is my suspect list (from our QT) as of Day Nine, before the Pizza lynch. Notice how many of the scum we had already identified at this time.

When you blocked me our team did a killing, so you made a massive leap of faith. You were just lucky the other team was so inactive. The same goes for Atheotes, since he got blocked and was doing nothing, so you didn't stop anything from us doing, just that you made assumptions that both teams ere killing, when that simply wasn't the case.

When you blocked me our team did a killing, so you made a massive leap of faith. You were just lucky the other team was so inactive. The same goes for Atheotes, since he got blocked and was doing nothing, so you didn't stop anything from us doing, just that you made assumptions that both teams ere killing, when that simply wasn't the case.

This is a simplistic view of the situation. We already suspected you both, otherwise I wouldn’t have blocked you. Certainly there was an element of luck in that you didn’t actually do the kill and the other team failed to do one as well, but it was the pressure after the block that did you in. The apparently successful block just added more pressure to the conversation.

For the record, I wasn't inactive as the final scum. I was intentionally NKing.

Did anyone besides Mech and I figure this out? I thought it was weird when no one mentioned it as a major discussion point.

We certainly thought of it as a possibility, but frankly we still had Dreadnought as a top suspect to burn through first.

This is a simplistic view of the situation. We already suspected you both, otherwise I wouldn’t have blocked you. Certainly there was an element of luck in that you didn’t actually do the kill and the other team failed to do one as well, but it was the pressure after the block that did you in. The apparently successful block just added more pressure to the conversation.

I kept saying that I did nothing that night and pointed that out and made points of other assumptions made. I only admitted I was scum when no one listened to a single word I said.

I kept saying that I did nothing that night and pointed that out and made points of other assumptions made. I only admitted I was scum when no one listened to a single word I said.

The point was that we already thought you were scum through your behaviour in thread and the roleblock results were icing on the cake. We didn't identify you through the roleblock. We'd have lynched you anyway even if they'd been a killing.

In thread, we tended to emphasize roleblock results and scans, but the reasons I at least had for that were:

1) It didn't require us to tell the mafia (by posting in open thread) how we'd worked it out. This made it harder for the mafia to cover it up. I can see how this was frustrating for the mafia, but basically you had no options at that point and we didn't want to give you any.

2) Pizza had really built up the detectives as being "infallible" (even though we suspected and later knew they weren't) so it was a good shortcut for getting town-not-network onside with our target

3) I wanted to make it unclear who the roleblocker was, because that role was important in keeping down the killings and I was worried BSmith would be killed. Hence, sometimes I didn't report a scan and let others reveal it (like BSmith did of yours), and often I'd jump in and anounce the roleblock result early.

Basically, what happened was we identified the mafia, and then used the scans, roleblocks,tracking to test our deductions while we picked you off one by one. Because our deductions were right, the totallity of the evidence we got from the power roles tended to confirm what we'd already thought.

Oh, and I should pay tribute to Earthling's powers of analysis. I picked him for a scan early because I thought he'd be a key player in the network in terms of identifying scum, and he absolutely didn't disappoint!

Basically that. I want to give my own powers of deduction some credit, but they led me to go after Gone 3 The Celt, Backwards Logic, Dumanios, and MartinLuther. At least I was right about Double A, SamSniped, and john. :lol:

Something everyone is missing is the early demise of the serial killer, bestrfcplayer, who sadly got injured on N1 attacking Zack and then got killed by injuries on N2, he could've caused enormous damage all over the place as he was mandated to kill at least six people personally.
Would have helped them a lot. By that point, I was one of the core members of the town network, had a masonic partner proven innocent, an undisputed claim that I had been scanned light-side (which I posted in the thread but was false IIRC, I forgot that it was choxorn, my masonic partner, who had actually been scanned), and basically no one suspected me of being anything but town. A lot of that was just happenstance, not any skillful maneuver on my part, but whatever. :p
Depends, the town might have just roleblocked you at random and decided that since the Triumvirate were asleep you'd be lynched.
Really, did no one notice that atheotes and CivGeneral were in the same team, and that you'd just got immensely lucky?

Depends, the town might have just roleblocked you at random and decided that since the Triumvirate were asleep you'd be lynched.
I was one of the core members of the town network. I don't think the town would have roleblocked me randomly.

You underestimate towns then.

Have you forgotten Murphy's Law? You don't have a cover role like the others. if anyone had thought your brain fart through…

Really, did no one notice that atheotes and CivGeneral were in the same team, and that you'd just got immensely lucky?

We noticed straight away. It was before the QT was established, so it's all in PMs. We just didn't feel like puncturing our aura of invincibility.

It was lucky, sure, but with 1/4 the players being mafia, it wasn't *that* lucky. And don't forget, we didn't roleblock atheotes at random, we already suspected him.

You got a false positive and lynched a amfioso from the wrong faction.

I'm not proving your point, Zack.

No, it really is that we'd already quite clearly discussed many scummy things from several of these players before the roleblock results. For instance, on the in thread discussion between atheotes and atpg, they outright lied about several things regarding bounty hunters or scans and atheotes in particular had already placed scummy votes. Without the roleblock result the lynch that particular day might not have gone the same way, but the suspects were suspected for a reason. This wasn't just said in private but pointed out publicly at least once I know too. (By later in the game there were many, many scumtells like classical_hero lying about the number of nightkills, just saying "oh, there's only one nightkill anyway.")

Abilities absolutely helped sometimes, and we did get some false positives. Like I said I had confirmed SamSniped was a woman and just pegged him as by process of elimination for the other townies (knowing we pretty much had to already know every female Jedi townie) as the one Sith character, though everybody later found out he was someone else. In general it was only early in the game was where the town was most scan dependent, and you can't argue with the results there. In this game a town-unfriendly neutral was lynched Day 2, and another neutral Day 3 - how many games do townies just get lynched that early when there's no information, after all - this was a better start than default for the town. As the game proceeded it wasn't just scans and you had to notice that through the work of many townies we also caught Red_Spy and spaceman solely from extensive pressure in thread (which also helped us save/clear other townies, like reversing the wagon on Verarde)

Something everyone is missing is the early demise of the serial killer, bestrfcplayer, who sadly got injured on N1 attacking Zack and then got killed by injuries on N2, he could've caused enormous damage all over the place as he was mandated to kill at least six people personally.

You're forgetting that this is bestrfcplayer you're talking about, so he probably would have gone inactive at some point and killed not many more people than he actually did.

Top Bottom