Language translations for leader sayings

The use of majestic plural is not wrong. In any case, is the phrase selected that is. A king using majestic won't introduce himself by name as in "Hello, I'm Phil", and probably would use a more convoluted phrase: "Nos somos el rey de queste regno, al que llaman Felipe"

Barbarossa:

Agenda-based approval: Über vorsihtich(k)eit sî gelobet [...]
I would translate that part as something like "Precautiously I promise" or "With precaution I promise". Not sure how to best put that in English, but what I think it means is that Barbarossa anticipates the player getting to close with a city-state and thus warns him about the consequences this would have.

The use of majestic plural is not wrong. In any case, is the phrase selected that is. A king using majestic won't introduce himself by name as in "Hello, I'm Phil", and probably would use a more convoluted phrase: "Nos somos el rey de queste regno, al que llaman Felipe"

Well...,"queste regno" is Italian, "este reino" is Spanish.

Although the majestic plural were to be used for royal writings, the phrase still sounds very bad. It's like the legendary phrase "L'État, c'est moi" of Louis XIV whose translation is "I am the state", not "we are the state".

Felipe could say "nos" instead of "yo", I've been hearing again and may I say it, I say may be it, I do not sure, because at that time the youtuber is talking and not hear him well.

-Use the majestic plural for say who is king of Spain ("Nos somos el rey" = We are the king) sounds very strange.

Indeed.

The pronoun "yo" was not used in the official literature of the era, and in the structure "nos somos el rey" the article "el" makes no sense as it should be in the same number as the verb.

"Nos somos rey de x" was common, even without the verb.

If it is wrong it sounds like a bizarrely schoolboy error. This is Spanish we're talking about, not Akkadian. Such basic grammatical mistakes are absurd. :lol:

That seems like it would be a better line for him to say when he declares war then. It's not like when he's attacked he has a *choice* to make peace. =|

This is how my mind automatically thinks, and also how games like Civ work, but strangely, in real life countries still officially declare war even after they've already been declared on. Heck, after Pearl Harbor the US Congress voted on declaring war on Japan. I'd have been like "Duh, they already attacked you, what's the point of trying to decide whether to go to war or not?"

And sometimes I wonder what would have happened if somehow Congress had voted not to declare war - what would American troops under attack do, not fight?

and in the structure "nos somos el rey" the article "el" makes no sense as it should be in the same number as the verb.

"Nos somos rey de x" was common, even without the verb.

Actually, there is no grammar problem in "nos somos el rey". You can combine plural and singular and say "nosotros somos el mundo" ("we are the world") or "ellos son la solución" (they are the solution).

There is a single entity (the king, the world, the solution), that is shared/embodied by many people, or by the one that represents these many.

Nevertheles as commented in the posts before and in your same one, it's true the most common structure is not the one presented but one in the lines of "Nos, (name), rey de..."

Actually, there is no grammar problem in "nos somos el rey". You can combine plural and singular and say "nosotros somos el mundo" ("we are the world") or "ellos son la solución" (they are the solution).

I meant in that specific formula in 16th century Castilian Spanish.

Can anyone confirm if Pericles is speaking Ancient Greek?

Any Latin enthusiasts want to translate Trajan's lines?

I heard Mvemba a Nzinga speak more clearly. It is definitely a Bantu language he is speaking. Can't tell if its Swahili or Bakongo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IySkT6dxH6E&index=1&list=PLQFX9B_9L4-mdiVka33akRAqdOQuCtGkz

around 10:36 is Harald Hardrada's greeting for any Norwegian speakers who want to see if it's modern Norwegian or something more archaic

At the min 17 you can listen to Harald, as I said before to me it sounds quite like modern Norwegian, at least I can understand parts of what he say, technically he should speak old norse (disclaimer: I only know modern Swedish, not any other Scandinavian language, so please Norwegians feel free to correct me).

For instance at the end he says "är du rädd?" (AFAIK in Norwegian it would be er instead of är), which means "are you afraid?".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sd3Ce7f4EUY

I'm trying to make out Trajan's greeting in this video. Unfortunately the guy kind of talks over Trajan.

As best I can tell, Trajan says

Ave, [a couple words obscured by the player talking]. Imperator Caesar Traianus sum. Quis es? Quae terra patria vocas?

The translation Civ gives, "Hello, stranger. I am Imperator Caesar Trajan of far-reaching Rome. Who are you and what lands can you claim as your own?" is pretty much literal.

If anyone has better hearing than me and can discern the words I missed, or has a more intelligible video of Trajan speaking, I'd be appreciative.

With this newfound info, I can confirm that Harald Hardrada does not speak modern Norwegian. My bet is on Icelandic, or, if the devs have managed to reconstruct it, Old Norse. Maybe even Old Norwegian, but sadly, I cannot be of further help. Or maybe I can be. I don't know; I'll listen to his line again tomorrow when it's not in the middle of the night, and see if I can deduce anything.

We see Trajan's agenda dislike in this video, though Marbozir cuts Trajan off before he finishes the first sentence.

The translation is: "You have left the richest parts of the land for your enemies to claim."

I think Trajan says,

Ditissimas tui regni regiones diripiendas hostibus, which means "the richest territories of your kingdom to be seized by your enemies." Marbozir cuts off Trajan before the last word of the sentence, presumably a verb meaning "you have left." (In Latin, the verb can be placed at the end of the sentence, and usually is.) I'm not sure about "diripiendas." It sure sounds like Trajan is saying "diripendas," which is not a Latin word. But diripiendas makes some sense. If anyone has another take I'd be interested.

around 10:36 is Harald Hardrada's greeting for any Norwegian speakers who want to see if it's modern Norwegian or something more archaic

At the min 17 you can listen to Harald, as I said before to me it sounds quite like modern Norwegian, at least I can understand parts of what he say, technically he should speak old norse (disclaimer: I only know modern Swedish, not any other Scandinavian language, so please Norwegians feel free to correct me).

For instance at the end he says "är du rädd?" (AFAIK in Norwegian it would be er instead of är), which means "are you afraid?".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sd3Ce7f4EUY

Haraldr speaks Old Norse although the pronunciation is a bit too modern (Icelandic) at times.

Haraldr Sigurðarsonr stendr fyrir þér. Aldregi var víkingr slíkr lands né lagar. Hahaha, ertu hræddr?
Harald Sigurdson stands before you. Never was there such a viking of land or sea. Hahaha, are you afraid?

https://youtu.be/Co6euiRdBF8?t=11m14s
Til sigrs! Til halla Óðins!
To victory! To Odin's halls!

This is anachronistic since Haraldr was a Christian like most Norwegians since the late 10th century.

If anyone finds more lines I can transcribe and translate them.

Edit: watching it again the pronunciation is not "a bit" too modern. The speaker is clearly an Icelandic speaker imitating Old Norse based on an incomplete understanding of how it sounded. The vowels 'y' and 'æ' for instance are pronounced flat out wrong as they have changed quite a bit from Old Norse to modern Icelandic but 'halla' when Haraldr attacks is unmistakably not Icelandic but a more archaic ON pronunciation.

Haraldr speaks Old Norse although the pronunciation is a bit too modern (Icelandic) at times.

Haraldr Sigurðarsonr stendr fyrir þér. Aldregi var víkingr slíkr lands né lagar. Hahaha, ertu hræddr?
Harald Sigurdson stands before you. Never was there such a viking on land or sea. Hahaha, are you afraid?

https://youtu.be/Co6euiRdBF8?t=11m14s
Til sigurs! Til halla Óðins!
To victory! To Odin's halls!

This is anachronistic since Haraldr was a Christian like most Norwegians since the late 10th century.

If anyone finds more lines I can transcribe and translate them.

Edit: watching it again the pronunciation is not "a bit" too modern. The speaker is clearly an Icelandic speaker imitating Old Norse based on an incomplete understanding of how it sounded. The vowels 'y' and 'æ' for instance are pronounced flat out wrong as they have changed quite a bit from Old Norse to modern Icelandic but 'halla' when Haraldr attacks is unmistakably not Icelandic but a more archaic ON pronunciation.

I guess this is just like Harald Bluetooth mentioning Norse gods in his dialogue, despite being the first Danish king to be baptized. Guess Firaxis thinks Norse gods are cool and that the Viking leader must always reference them. :rolleyes:

I guess this is just like Harald Bluetooth mentioning Norse gods in his dialogue, despite being the first Danish king to be baptized. Guess Firaxis thinks Norse gods are cool and that the Viking leader must always reference them. :rolleyes:

By Odin's beard, those filthy pagans. :lol:

Top Bottom