Lanun Uniquness

CoheeLunden

Chieftain
I find the the Lanun lack the uniquness they deserve and are also underpowered due to their restrictions on land use in preference of sea use...

What I think would make an excellant change (although perhaps labor intensive), would be to take their love of the sea farther than it is currently implemented. It seems to me that as sea faring pirate folk, the lanun should be able to build floating cities (hell the aztecs did it in real life). The lanun should be restricted from building cities anywhere except on costal tiles or within the sea or lakes itself....

What would it take to implement this? Well in my view it would take retooling the sea tiles/sea improvements....

As it stands now there is ocean and costal water. Perhaps more distinctions could be made...deep sea, costal water, sand bars, rough waters. Once these types of ocean were implemented, then new types of improvments would need to be implemented too....for inscance instead of mines Lanun could build water mills in rough waters for hammers, algae farms could be planted in costal waters, cottages could still be used they would just be floating...

Finally a few new sear resources would need to be availble that were usable by all civs. Perhaps the addition of sea salt, seaweed, and shark skin or something like that...

In my mind, the lanun should be pushed to the sea, rather than as they are now which are weak land dwellers with a preferance for boats that doesn't really pay off.

The sea city idea has been floated before (no pun intended), and it has some implementation problems I believe.

The Lanun are much like certain other flavored civs... give them the right map type, and they're incredible. If they start with pearls and some other sea resources, they also do very well even on pangea. The reason for this is that unlike building workers, building a work boat lets your city keep growing.

And their world spell? It's like a freaking second apocalypse that I've started bracing for. I learned the hard way that if you're going to horde any great people or mages, get them the hell away from the water!

Although I usually do not like these type of changes it does have some interesting thoughts to it. Thinking of having to go out into the middle of the sea to fight the Lanun sounds very flavourful. Perhaps it can be engineered in such a way that the plot settled on becomes land? Perhaps with the sea graphic? Literal sea cities sounds very hard and a potential mess with resource spawning.

Maybe they could have special "Port Cities" or "Naval Bases" or something (large scale pirate coves, basically) that have certain bonuses, like the Kuriotate city/settlement system - so they get so many of the special city, only buildable along the coast with features faster production of naval units, greater chance for sea-based resources to spawn, greater bonuses from sea-based resources, bonus to gold yield from sea trade routes, etc.
The idea of "floating cities" seems a bit odd, though, and I can't see it working. Maybe some kind of improvement their work boats can build that acts like a Kuriotate settlement in the sea.

N... i don't see why it would be that hard to implelement. give lanun settlers the ability to walk on water 9or just make them boats... even better) and then make thier found city spell include the creation of a land tile...

Top Bottom