1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Late Game CTDs

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by alireza1354, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Second that. Mod works fine. Tried out the 23 and 28 civs maps: looking good!

Unfortunately 1066 AD for RoM 2.2 and RoM 2.2 Huge Earth 18 civs aren't 2.3 compatible. (Good news is the 12, 23 and 28 civs maps included in 2.3.)

2. Mister Giggles

Mister Giggles Warlord

Exact same type of crash as before....20-30 turns into the modern era it just...dies.

I'll worry about fixing it when Tibia finally pisses me off enough to make me not want to play it for five years (Again).

However, glad to hear other people are able to play fine!

3. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

I have also had modern era crashes on version 2.3 I'm running a game right now with all of the DCM and Revolution stuff off to see if that helps.

UPDATE -- I turned off Revolution and Barbarian Civ -- no CTD through the year 2050. Running a game now with Revolution but no Barbarian Civ. (Isn't autoplay great)

4. alireza1354

alireza1354 Emperor

Hmmmmmmmmm Zappara needs to read this ,but then, I guess he will :)

So its something inherent of the Revolution mod. Hmmmmmm. Did u put it off in a saved game? Or did u start a new one?

5. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

Read below, it may be the 34 Civ limitation that causes CTDs (or at least mine)

Instead of turning off options, I just started a new game.

Game 1 was with everything turned on -- CTDs in the modern era -- could not get past one CTD
    Game 2 was with Revolution, Barbarian Civ and Tech Diffusion turned off -- No CTD to 2050

Running a 3rd game right now with Revolution but no Barbarian Civ. Got a CTD in the Modern Era -- so I restarted from the oldest saved game (I save every turn, with 20 kept) and it has run now past the time of the original CTD.

I am thinking that the CTDs may also be driven by the number of civs. Right now, I am teetering on 34 civs in the game....I wonder if the game is programmed to not have a new revolution while there are 34 civs, or if that causes the CTD.

Starting with the next set of games I test, I'll post everything -- I was hoping that the mysterious CTDs were gone for good.

6. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

yes you are right I know that as well, that's why I unpacked both RoMPak files before running CivChecker on the mod:p:p:p

tx anyway

7. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Are your paths set correctly to Vanilla Civ, Warlords and to Beyond the Sword so that civchecker can include all those files to checks? ;)

8. miccal2000

miccal2000 Chieftain

Hello all!

Working on ggalindo001's theory, I have just modified revolution.ini to have it stop producing new civ's when it reaches 30 total, 4 less than the dll limit of 34. Wish me luck, and let's see if this will solve the issue.

9. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

Done that, and the resultwere 1246 missing art files and 0 undefined symbols. Don't know if thiscould be the cause for CTD but just tobe sure...

I reduced max no. of civs to 20 (don't like to have too many civilizations in the late game) so let's see if this work.

Cheers
    Nem

10. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

Nope, unfortunately this isn't it. I had CTDs in my latest game with under 30 civs on the map.

I'm now running a game with just tech diffusion, nothing else non Core Rise of Mankind enabled.

UPDATE -- had one CTD with just tech diffusion -- after getting well past the future era (was working on Future Tech 5) -- was able to restart from last save without any issue.

At least with this version, I can run plain Rise of Mankind which is great.

11. Nemesys

Nemesys Chieftain

Today I tried to run different games to find the cause of CTDs. I used custom Game option to gradually reduce the number of components in the game; starting in the modern era (turn 0 was year 1883).
    Here are the results, comments are welcome of course:

-game 1: everything on, CTD (of course :D) on year 1901 (playing as Celts)

-game 2: BarbCiv component turned off, CTD on year 1899 (Turkey)

-game 3: Revolution and BarbCiv turned off, CTD on year 1899 (USA)

-game 4: Revolution,BarbCiv and TechDiffusion off, CTD on year 1892 (India)

-game 5: Rev,BarbCiv,TechDiff and DynamicNames off PLUS everything in GlobalDefinesAlt turned off except AiAutoPlay, ChangePlayer, IDW pillage,IDW active city resistance, IDW barbarians,IDW naval influence CTD on 1913 (Babylon)

-game 6: everything OFF (I mean really everything possible), CTD on 1904 (again as Celtia)

My only comment is :wallbash::wallbash: and :aargh::aargh:.
    Please let me know if you tried something different and whichwere the result.

@zappara
    I thought 2.3 had bug fixes inside. Did you actually try to play an entire game (starting in 6000BC) with your mod and reach the very end of the game?that would be interesting ;). What can we do now?

Cheers
    Nem

12. Starlash2350

Starlash2350 Chieftain

This is my favorite MOD and the only way I want to play Civ4 any more, but that being said, it is driving me nuts!!! I can't get through modern or future at all, with game crashes on dozens of different settings. I play with fewer than ten civs on mostly large maps; have played multiple games without any of the add-ons except the standard dale ranged combat. Not being able to complete games is really ruining it for me.

Question, does any one know if the older versions of ROM will work with BTS3.17 wihtout all these CTDs?

I'd ideally like to see nothing but fixes the next time a patch or new version comes out. Zappara, your mod is the best out there, but please focus on getting it to run through without CTDs before adding anything else or tweaking the little things that don't matter so much. Thanks! :)

13. Starlash2350

Starlash2350 Chieftain

Here are two saves to look at. Both are crashing within a turn or two of this point.

Attached Files:

14. Kroyon

Kroyon Chieftain

There are problems with this mod and starting games with the Custom Game option. Best is to use the PLAY NOW option, and after the game started save it and if you know in which file to go and edit the game options, do it via there, or just play it like that. Much less likely to have a CTD. I know in the civilizationIV.ini there is a place with the default options set out for you but the order is in 1's and 0's, with no clear indication in what order the options are. My guess is that if you know this order and edit those 1's and 0's, when you play a PLAY NOW gametype it will enable and disable options from there (like victory conditions, etc).

15. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

I'm pretty sure play now! just starts the game with all custom options disabled. which means it's useless imho.

16. Kroyon

Kroyon Chieftain

No you are wrong.

17. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

Interesting -- I'll launch it with PLAY NOW later and see how it goes.

18. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

are you 100% sure, Kroyon? I launched a game yesterday with play now! and it deselected all my pretty custom options, I had to re-enable them all in custom options the next time I played. yes, it was FFH2, but I don't think RoM is different really.

19. krios

krios Chieftain

It seems that there is a problem with babarians in modern times. I have no idea what it is exactly.

If I start a RoM custom game in modern era (standard map size, 7 civs, monarch difficulty etc.), then the game crashes reproducible to desktop after ca. 20 turns (checked with autoplay for instance).

Now only if I use the option "no babarians", the mod works fine till the end (DCM revolution on). Hope that helps.

20. Kroyon

Kroyon Chieftain

PLAY NOW will use the options setup in your ini's files. Therefore, the default Rom options will all be enabled when you start a PLAY NOW game (you will see the popup from REV telling you what options are enabled when you start one). If you usually make a lot of customizations, well like I said PLAY NOW wont alow you to make those, but at least the game should not crash.

You can't customize victory conditions like that but you should be able to enable/disable stuff from the Rom ini files (anything that can be enab/disab from there) and those customization should be read when you make a new game.

Also, whenever you start using a new mod or a new mod version always delete your cache folder in /username/local settings/application data/mygames/beyondthesword/cache and your assets and customassets folders from mydocuments/mygames/beyondthesword/

PLAY NOW works for me as intented, although I start any mod by editing the civilizationIV.ini telling it which mod to use and then just click on beyondthe sword.exe to start the game. Someone told me this is an old way not needed now with modular loading etc, but I do it that way and it works fine.

At the moment I am playing a custom scenario using the Rom 2.3 Americas huge map, I am at 1800AD+ and so far running fine.

Wanted to add that with Rom 2.2 I tried several times to start a custom game from the modern area (just because I wanted for once play the future techs since on a ful game I usually get MAF's like crazy by then), the game failed miserably very soon into it with game over CTDs.