Leader / Civ Picking Thread

Seems to be a consensus thus far that a leader is more important at present. I support the above post with Darius and Pacal swapped.
In my opinion, this depends on what the teams before us decide. In general I agree that leader is more important than Civ in this situation. Mostly because goodness of leader depends mostly on settings that we'll know before making our pick. On the other hand goodnes Civ depends much on map and I guess we don't get any more info on that before getting our pick.

However, if all teams before us pick Civ at the first go and we pick leader, we'll get first pick on leader but the last pick on Civ. IMO, it is better to be fifth on both rather than be first and last even if we appreciate leader more than the civ.

I bet most other teams will come to the same conclusion that leader first is the way to go, with just a couple power civs like India getting picked in the first round. If India is still available, I think we should grab it. Otherwise, lets start with a leader.

I believe yes, they will be public, so the next team/s know what have been already chosen and choose accordingly - both for not choosing something already taken, and for making possible last-minute adjustment before the vote is cast.

So taking that into consideration, if the teams before us have picked X,Y,Z does that change our pick? Are there choices we might want, but would not want if the other teams have picked a good counter to it? Or is it strictly what strategy we want to pursue?

I think it should mostly be strictly about the strategy we're trying to pursue. (BTW, should we start dicussing what strategy we'll going to pursue as well?) However, I think we should take into account on what position we'll be in for the remaining choice. For example if everyone before us has selected a leader, we have choice of being first to civ & last to leader, or we can pick to be 5th to both.

So taking that into consideration, if the teams before us have picked X,Y,Z does that change our pick? Are there choices we might want, but would not want if the other teams have picked a good counter to it? Or is it strictly what strategy we want to pursue?
Seeing that our top 3 choices are taken will obviously drive us in to deciding on other leader, but the general strategy will dictate out choice pic. Or even not the general strategy, but the general idea of what we want in this game. Is it to be all-round stable and just try to play and develop, do we want an uber-early rush to secure double land for settling/growing, do we want to play diplomatic powerhouse, do we want to pursue specific strong strategy - rifle rush, infantry, corporations etc.

I think it should mostly be strictly about the strategy we're trying to pursue.
My thinking too.

should we start dicussing what strategy we'll going to pursue as well?
We can of course, but this can be only a wish, as we dont know what available land we will be given, what neighbors we will have, what their intentions will ever be, how successful our diplomacy will be, and thousands of other unknown factors.

But it will not hurt if we start a thread for discussing ideas for the general plan, nice discussions we will get there I think :)

I'm not sure if you guys (2metraninja and Sommerswerd) are going to oppose LP taking an active role in the planning of the MTDG - but it looks as if the snake pick for leader/civ is taking place whether we like it or not. I think we should reach a consensus on what we're aiming to get, so we don't have to sit down and deal with a last minute pick?

It seems universally accepted that a leader is better to pick in the first round rather than a civ. It also seems Financial is a trait that is universally in favour, and I expect most of the other teams will also rank Fin highly.

Leaders that have been mentioned in several posts are Elizabeth, Darius, Pacal, Wilhelm and Huayna Capac (I may have missed some).

Perhaps someone could go through this thread and do some "datamining" and make a poll? I would do it myself, but I'm a bit tired right now so I'm afraid I'd botch it and leave some critical leader out of it. :p

It also seems Financial is a trait that is universally in favour, and I expect most of the other teams will also rank Fin highly.
We still have to see the settings. If Toroidal and/or higher difficulty level, ORG becomes great choice. PHI is not to be thrown out completely too.

It seems universally accepted that a leader is better to pick in the first round rather than a civ.
I think we must get India if it is available and then just pick any EXP leader with any of the economical traits - FIN, PHI or ORG. Even CRE will do with India as economic trait.
Fast worker is considered by many the best UU. It shines way above any other unit for such tight competitive long game. Jail is great UB too.

I'm not sure if you guys (2metraninja and Sommerswerd) are going to oppose LP taking an active role in the planning of the MTDG
2metra and I may differ on this, but my Mother always used to say "Talk is cheap, everyone will come to you with ideas they think are so great, but most will run and hide when you ask them to do the work of implementing their so-called great ideas. When that rare someone has ideas AND is willing to do his own work to get it done... let him;)"

Fast worker is considered by many the best UU. It shines way above any other unit for such tight competitive long game. Jail is great UB too.
I agree that we should take a good Civ over a leader as there are so many fine leaders, but only a few civs I would want. As far as FIN, PHI and especially ORG go, we will get one of these traits no problem. We don't have to worry too much about that. Also, Lizzy Wilhelm and Capac will be gone by the time we pick for sure, so no need worrying ourselves over them;)

I agree that India has best UU, but their UB comes so late :(. I would rather have Dikes than Mausoleums if we are willing to wait that long.

we should take a good Civ over a leader as there are so many fine leaders, but only a few civs I would want
Great formulating (as always).

Yep, Dikes are great. But then I was walking about UU and fast worker comes from the begining and is great, while Dutch UU comes late and is a galleon.

I need to see the order of picks to make predictions, but it would be fun if we make bets who will pick what.

Obviously Byzantium for a UU :king: anb UB :queen: (Cataphracts are deadly and Hipodrome is amazing for happiness: +1 happy with horse - everyone have horse and +1 happy for 5% culture slider - thats 3 happy out of the bat with only 10% slider.)

Of course, that still leaves us trying to decide what to grab first.

If Incas (or better yet, India) are still available on our turn, I think we should take them. Otherwise, I still think leader first is the way to go.

Top Bottom