Leader / Civ Picking Thread

It has begun. Ragnar is off the table. Not that this changes anything - he never was one of our top picks. Now hopefully this will revive this thread. So - Mehmed of the Incas received positive reviews, with the consensus to pick Civ first for that combo. Picking India or Inca immediately was suggested. Darius and Elizabeth were very popular picks in the poll. What do you guys wanna do?

Ragnar as first pick is great news for us, since we weren't even considering him.

I still think most teams will want to go leader first, and with only three more teams ahead of us, I think Inca will definitely still be on the table when we're up, if not India. If either civ is available, I think we take one (India first, then Inca)

However, this does mean that most good Fin leaders will be taken by the time the pick comes back around to us. Mehmed of India/Inca seems possible.

Can we do a new poll to decide if we want to go leader or civ first? Perhaps a poll between India, Inca, Elizabeth, Darius, Mehmed? Should this wait until another team or two have chosen?

I'd wait for Civforum.de at leas to choose. Maybe Apolyton, too. That way we need only come up with a top-two.

Yes, lets wait to see what the first three picks are. Once Poly picks we can then vote for our primary and alternate choices. Of course we should continue to discuss things between now and then.

So now that it seems pretty decided that full espy is ON for this game, do we want to reconsider Spiritual?

If we end up going leader first, stronger financial leaders than Mansa will probably remain available, like Elizabeth, Darius or Pacal. If we go civ first, I would want to pair expansive with Inca (for fast terraces) or India (for fast workers). We could do Isabella (Exp, Spi) as our leader pick in this situation. The downside is that this leaves us without any economic traits...

Well it looks like the Inca are off the list. I have very little experience with India, so I can't say if it's a good choice, but I'm leaning towards it simply out of curiosity.

As for leaders, I think there will still be a few good options open for us, my preference is for Elizabeth. While her traits don't synch perfectly, I think there's something to be said for the mixed economy. A heavily cottage driven system with a single great person farming city has been a good strategy for me in many single and multiplayer games.

Only two more teams until we get to make our first pick! It's too bad Inca was chosen, but it could have been worse for us, imo.

I really like opening with India if this option is available. Fast Workers are extremely powerful because they are available all game, and give a huge early-game advantage by letting us start on chops and mines faster than anyone else. The biggest advantage can come from using them as combat workers, allowing us to speed our attack in ways that no other civ can. With a pair of fast workers, we can one-turn build roads on neutral forest/hill tiles to speed an advance that the enemy doesn't see coming. Even more devastating, we can chop forests in enemy culture to suddenly arrive at an enemy city with two-movers when the enemy thought it would be impossible for us to reach the city center in one turn.

Isabella of India is looking like a pretty good pairing to me. I don't think Isabella will be highly sought after, so she should still be around when we get to our second round of picks. We could open with a Great Wall beeline and focus on an espionage economy. India's UB will fit very nicely with this, and as a spiritual leader, we can definitely abuse the religion/civics swap missions.

Apolyton has chosen Elizabeth, and we're really moving along now!

With only the Spanish team left before we're up, I think it is time to start running some polls!

As far as leader choices go Right now I favor Manny for FIN, SPI

Won't "everyone", especially RB, expect us to go Espy-economy again? And with no tech trading on, won't espy-economy be basically very difficult to maint compared to the previous MTDG?

I just want some Sommerswerd-elaboration on why we want Mansa and why an espy economy is a good idea again :p

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I'm leaning towards India, then Mansa if the Spanish forum chooses India.

Spiritual is good for more than just espionage economy. Switching between representation/pacifism to police state/theocracy at the drop of a hat would be killer. Especially if we do an Oracle-MC-Pyramids gambit.

@ Caledorn - Yes they will, of course, which is why we should focus elsewhere. Bowsling already made some great ponts which I wont repeat but Manny isnt necessarily for Espy offense, but espy defense, particularly against CSM. A SPI leader sort of says "f^ck off" to anyone who wants to use CSM on you because they know that you can switch back without anarchy.

Excellent posts both bowsling and sommers :) I see the reasons, and agree. Besides I have always liked Mansa. :)

BTW: Is there consensus on whether to pick Mansa or India, provided both are available? Or do we need a poll?

One thing I really like about SPI is the ability to switch to the Promotion civics (Theocracy, Vassalage to build/slave/draft a bunch of units, then back to the builder Civics to build Wonders, buildings, diversify our Religions (more on that later;)).

Another thing that I really really hope we get to see in Action is using Fast Workers in combination with Fast Movers in combination with a surprise, SPI fueled Civic switch to Serfdom (+50% worker build speed). I have seen this in action (used against me :() and it truly is wondourous to behold... worth the Price of admission without a doubt.:D I mean with enough workers you can build a road clear across 4 tiles of desert or hills and attack a city your enemy was sure was safe.:clap:

About diversifying Religions. Doing this (spreading a bunch of religions around all our cities) makes us essentially immune to the Religion CSM.

I don't see any opposition to picking India first. I still think that nabbing India means that our leader should be expansive if at all possible.

If India gets picked up by the Spanish, I like Mansa as our back-up.

I am all for India :)

Top Bottom