Leader / Civ Picking Thread

I'd say it's very doubtful that we get Mansa this round if we take India.

But we have a lot of time to discuss our next pick. Besides, there are 5 other leaders that will be selected before we go again.

I'd say it's very doubtful that we get Mansa this round if we take India.

But we have a lot of time to discuss our next pick. Besides, there are 5 other leaders that will be selected before we go again.
I agree with you. There are 8 picks to be made between our first and second round choices. I can think of only eleven that might go before Musa.

1. Capac 2.Wilhem 3. Darius 4. Sury 5. Mali 6. Gahndi 7.Victoria 8. Hannibal 9. Pacal 10. Egypt 11. Sumeria

Keep in mind that everyone behind us will choose both their leader and civ before it comes back to us, so between our picks there will be four leaders and four civs chosen (plus whatever the Spaniards choose next). Therefore, assuming we get India, we should then get one of our top five leaders.

Edit: Sorry, just realized that this is exactly what Bowsling already said.

I agree with the India & Mansa Musa plan. It would be great if we can get both of them. A spiritual leader definitely makes sense with the religion and civic swap missions on, even if we don't end up using this feature, it will be useful for us to be safe from it.

Come to think of it, I've started to have some second thoughts about Mansa. While we aren't running an espionage economy, other teams (especially RB) will start to harbour suspicions that we are, especially after the CSM voting incident. Taking India, with a UB replacing the Jail, will only add gasoline to the fire.

If other teams start to believe we will start stealing their techs as soon as we research alphabet, we will find ourselves in a deep diplomatic disadvantage, which could be disastrous depending on our neighbours. Potential allies may start "defensively" pouring EPs on us, which would, ironically, put us on the receiving end of an espionage economy.

Of course, this is all hypothetical. Mansa Musa is still a great choice for a number of other reasons.

what about huayna capac if he is still availible? I think he is stronger than india. We could rush tGW faster just in spite so noone can use these espionage "exploit" on us early. Also tGW is good for barb control, remember we will play on emperor.

Espionage "exploit" I dont see how will be used early. What they will switch you to? From tribalism to slavery? But thats great! :D

Not to mention they will need Alphabet to produce spies. And this tech have low value with tech trading off.

Well, not that early, but civil service, bureaucracy, religion civics, and if we plan on building the pyramids. Thats still early game for me.. =P

My idea is that till the time bureaucracy is in the game, Great Spies possibly can be had without Great Wall. And even faster using PHI leader.

I guess, but tGW certainly help if your'e running a esp economy, and if someone tries to run one, I think they will reconsider if they are denied tGW.

Either RB will use this game to try to "prove" CSM is evil like they so firmly believe, or they will realize that its not and just play their game the way they normally would. There is no way to know for sure but I am pretty confident that everyone else is just going to play the way they normally would. Another thing I am pretty sure about is that EVERYONE in the game is going to have their guard up against espy this game, especially CSM, so an EE will be less powerful than usual.

What we should be thinking here is giving the appearance of an EE (like teams expect) but actually running something else, like CE, while using our espy game for defense and precision strikes here and there. If we fake like we are going EE, this will make others waste alot of effort trying to prepare for the espy avalanche that never comes, while we happily focus on teching and production.

Sounds like a plan.. The best way to make people think we have an EE is to build tGW, no?

Anyway, after the leader/civ picking we will have a clearer picture of what actually is possible, I dont think we will get tGW with crap starting techs and without an IND for example..

may I ask what is "CSM"? the only thing that came to mind is Counter Spionage Mission, but I have the feeling it's not what you had on mind.

Civic switch mission. It allows you to switch another civ to one civic that you are running or to your state religion. A bunch of RBers are paranoid that it will somehow ruin the game. :confused:

Sounds like a plan.. The best way to make people think we have an EE is to build tGW, no?

Anyway, after the leader/civ picking we will have a clearer picture of what actually is possible, I dont think we will get tGW with crap starting techs and without an IND for example..
Or maybe we get Oracle, while all the paranoid ones rush to get TGW.

As you correctly said, it all depends on what leaders are in the game, what starting techs we have, what our starting land looks like, what Civ we get, etc, etc. We have to be flexible, and prepared to adapt our strategy to the game as it develops.

The reality is that leader/civ selection is small potatoes. I wanted Mansa Musa in the last MTDG but we got Cyrus/Persia (ironically, because a bunch of people voted for Darius who were AWOL, nowhere to be seen in 3 months:(). Mansa Musa would have been way better for the EE that we ended up running, and Persia was a total bust because we had no Horse, we were on an island so we couldnt rush anyone and Barbs were spawnbusted to non-existant but whatever, we still won.

And that is the point. This game is not going to be won or lost by leader/civ picks, or silly philisophical arguments about polls, or this or that game setting, and certainly not by the f^cking CSM:rolleyes:.

This game will be won or lost by the dedication of the players on this team staying involved and developing excellent strategies and diplomacy and maintaining a high, organized level of activity for the entire game, all the way to the bitter (or Sweet) end.

And we're up to pick!

Sommerswerd, I haven't voted in the final leader poll yet, so I don't know how the results are looking, but I think we have clear consensus to choose India!

Top Bottom