[LP] Leader Pass Pack 5: Great Builders Revealed (Coming Mar. 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer Isabella though.
Maybe it's a marketing tactic to say that "no one expects another Spanish Inquisition leader?" :mischief:
Of course, then again that would have worked better at the beginning, and then get Julius Caesar around the Ides of March. :dunno:

Btw, Theodora spotlight is up too...

I've to say I find the sound of the voice (regal, mature, a bit karen-ish) very fitting to the model (idk if fitting the actual historical figure, though)

The Dialect in Bavaria is extremely strong. I speak German very well yet when i was with friends in Bavaria they would ask do you understand what we are talking about ... I would say not a single word. The Germans in Berlin also speak with a thick Dialect which is nearly impossible to understand. Book German is primarily spoken in the Cologne and Dusseldorf area middle Germany. Going North or South of NordrheinWestfalen you will run into dialects. Some are very difficult to understand even for the Germans themselves who live in the middle of the country. I have been with Germans who won't understand a single word in parts of the country. Germany is not a large country either.

Btw, Theodora spotlight is up too...

I've to say I find the sound of the voice (regal, mature, a bit karen-ish) very fitting to the model (idk if fitting the actual historical figure, though)

Somehow, she looks even more unnatural to me, now that she is moving about.

Textures on the hair, skin, and jewelry all look off.

The Dialect in Bavaria is extremely strong. I speak German very well yet when i was with friends in Bavaria they would ask do you understand what we are talking about ... I would say not a single word. The Germans in Berlin also speak with a thick Dialect which is nearly impossible to understand. Book German is primarily spoken in the Cologne and Dusseldorf area middle Germany. Going North or South of NordrheinWestfalen you will run into dialects. Some are very difficult to understand even for the Germans themselves who live in the middle of the country. I have been with Germans who won't understand a single word in parts of the country. Germany is not a large country either.
As it happened, I learned German in school from a German native speaker - from up north next to the Danish border.
Then the US Army sent me to West Berlin, where I discovered that nothing I had been taught was more than slightly intelligible to anyone there.
Years later the US Army sent me back to Germany, to Aschaffenburg in northern Bavaria, where neither the Far Northern Hochdeutsch dialect nor the Pruessische deutsche dialect of the Berliners were understandable.
And the total distance between Denmark, Berlin, and Aschaffenburg is less than the distance from one side of Washington State to the other west to east. And I can understand the folks in Spokane fine, as long as they aren't speaking German . . .

And Civ VI's Ludwig is not speaking a Bavarian dialect, which non-Bavarian Germans described to me as sounding like the speaker was both drunk and clubbed over the head repeatedly just before he started speaking. Since I spent most of my time in Bavaria in various bars, I can't say from personal experience that Bavarians in that situation sounded any different from anyone else . . .

As it happened, I learned German in school from a German native speaker - from up north next to the Danish border.
Then the US Army sent me to West Berlin, where I discovered that nothing I had been taught was more than slightly intelligible to anyone there.
Years later the US Army sent me back to Germany, to Aschaffenburg in northern Bavaria, where neither the Far Northern Hochdeutsch dialect nor the Pruessische deutsche dialect of the Berliners were understandable.
And the total distance between Denmark, Berlin, and Aschaffenburg is less than the distance from one side of Washington State to the other west to east. And I can understand the folks in Spokane fine, as long as they aren't speaking German . . .

And Civ VI's Ludwig is not speaking a Bavarian dialect, which non-Bavarian Germans described to me as sounding like the speaker was both drunk and clubbed over the head repeatedly just before he started speaking. Since I spent most of my time in Bavaria in various bars, I can't say from personal experience that Bavarians in that situation sounded any different from anyone else . . .

Never had that issue whatsoever. Have lived in Germany (Stuttgart area), and learned German in high school for two years. If people spoke their dialect, yeah it's difficult, but in my experience wherever I went people could always speak standardised German (with an accent and maybe one or two words in dialect) unless they were really old in some hamlet out in the countryside.
I think all of our experiences are entirely anecdotal and also depend highly on whether or not you have more affinity and/or experience with learning other languages in general.

Ludwig is indeed speaking pretty standardised German here indeed, seemingly without any accent. I'm curious why they did it like that, if maybe Ludwig in his time spoke this German instead of a dialectal variant.

Well, they haven't matched Civ V Theodora, that's for sure.

I used to include Byzantium just to be cheered when I met her. Not this one.......

Never had that issue whatsoever. Have lived in Germany (Stuttgart area), and learned German in high school for two years. If people spoke their dialect, yeah it's difficult, but in my experience wherever I went people could always speak standardised German (with an accent and maybe one or two words in dialect) unless they were really old in some hamlet out in the countryside.
I think all of our experiences are entirely anecdotal and also depend highly on whether or not you have more affinity and/or experience with learning other languages in general.

Ludwig is indeed speaking pretty standardised German here indeed, seemingly without any accent. I'm curious why they did it like that, if maybe Ludwig in his time spoke this German instead of a dialectal variant.
Absolutely agree, whatever dialect was common in the area, 'standard German' was the default available to everyone.
I should also point out that the Germans agreed that the Berlin and Bavarian versions were probably the most extreme examples of German dialects common in West Germany (I left the country in 1990, just before the collapse of the Warsaw Pact/East Germany/Soviet Union brought on a whole new mixing of German dialects with the influx of 'far eastern' Germans to the west).

And German is not alone in having some extremes of dialect. In the US Army unit I was in at Wiesbaden, Germany, we had two lieutenants, one from the Bronx in New York and one from Maine ('down east'). Everyone else in the unit complained that they had trouble understanding both officers because of their accents/dialects!

Well, you can find unintelligible dialects in Scotland, and that's not a big country!

I won't get to try this pack until after work on Friday (time differences means it is released at some ungodly hour on the 16th here in Australia). I don't know which leader I'll take for a spin, but I do know I'll be naming my cities with Irish city names. Everyone's Irish on St. Paddy's day.

No doubt he is. He authorized the use of Hangeul script so to facilitate his people literacy when it comes to reading Chinese texts. For Sinosphere world. understanding Chinese means understood The Bible.
Not all ministers around him like his policy however. some conservatives in his cabinet did raise concerns that Hangeul won't help with his 'Chinese literacy' problems in his domain.
Absolutely agree, whatever dialect was common in the area, 'standard German' was the default available to everyone.
I should also point out that the Germans agreed that the Berlin and Bavarian versions were probably the most extreme examples of German dialects common in West Germany (I left the country in 1990, just before the collapse of the Warsaw Pact/East Germany/Soviet Union brought on a whole new mixing of German dialects with the influx of 'far eastern' Germans to the west).

And German is not alone in having some extremes of dialect. In the US Army unit I was in at Wiesbaden, Germany, we had two lieutenants, one from the Bronx in New York and one from Maine ('down east'). Everyone else in the unit complained that they had trouble understanding both officers because of their accents/dialects!
mmmm Wait! Standard 'Germans' and 'Prussian Dialects' are the same?
And demographics of Germanic Americans.. regarding to their origins. from which region they from associated to where they ended up in the US of A in Mid 19th C? did Pennsylvania consists mostly of those of Prussian origin while those of Ohio Valley and of Far West of South Germany origins? (Bavaria, Saschen and also Austria) ? like Levi Strausse who himself originally an Austrian named Lo:we (Lion) ?

And demographics of Germanic Americans.. regarding to their origins. from which region they from associated to where they ended up in the US of A in Mid 19th C? did Pennsylvania consists mostly of those of Prussian origin while those of Ohio Valley and of Far West of South Germany origins? (Bavaria, Saschen and also Austria) ? like Levi Strausse who himself originally an Austrian named Lo:we (Lion) ?
My mother's side can from Bremen to Ohio in the late 1800's. They moved to Southern California because land was cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom