Leaders

I actually don't have a strong opinion on the feanor leaders, but I think one of the suggestions was to use the Grigori approach from FFH2. They don't have a hero and only one leader. They receive also Great Adventurers which have the hero promotion and can be upgrade (for a fee of money) into any unittype that is available to build at that time. The suggestion was to use this approach and then make the great adventurers the sons of Feanor. I find this quite a nice idea but I can go either way. But if we go for this idea, we have to see how many names we can come up with and how many great adventurers in general you would span in a game to make sure we have enough.

No only for the house of Feanor civ. It is a system instead of a hero. If you have the time, maybe try it out with the Grigori from FFH2. We could call it "Sons of Feanor" instead of "great adventurers". It would make them different from the other civs and we don't have to choose between who we want in. But this only works if we can have enough names and I'm not sure about that.

In general you get more great persone (which the great adventurers are part of) during a game than 7. We could take also grandchildren (like the guy from the rings, Celebrimbor or something). They work like great persons who are born and certain buildings provide a percentage towards that kind of people (so if you buy something that gives points for great merchant you get the percentage and it provides one depending on that).

No only for the house of Feanor civ. It is a system instead of a hero. If you have the time, maybe try it out with the Grigori from FFH2. We could call it "Sons of Feanor" instead of "great adventurers". It would make them different from the other civs and we don't have to choose between who we want in. But this only works if we can have enough names and I'm not sure about that.
I'll added to my list of things I have to try in FFH :D (hopefully I'll have some time to play around with it this weekend.)

And this would only apply to the House of Feanor, to make them Unique? If so, I will try and get a list of names and you can decide if it is large enough. So, what, no Cpatains or Heroes then? Just these Great Adventurers?
He has 7 Sons and I can get the names of them no problem. Is that enough?
In general you get more great persone (which the great adventurers are part of) during a game than 7. We could take also grandchildren (like the guy from the rings, Celebrimbor or something). They work like great persons who are born and certain buildings provide a percentage towards that kind of people (so if you buy something that gives points for great merchant you get the percentage and it provides one depending on that).
I've got a genealogy lying around somewhere, though it has been a couple of years since I made it, I should be able to find it. Will search for it tomorrow, as it would help us with a lot of naming stuff.

That's pretty much what my genealogy shows as well. That's a bit to few if I understand correctly how that system works.

They have other father and mother names as well, that would make 22 names
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Sons_of_Fëanor

Maedhros: Nelyafinwë & Maitimo

Maglor: Canafinwë & Makalaurë

Celegorm: Turcafinwë & Tyelkormo

Caranthir: Morifinwë & Carnistir

Curufin: Curufinwë & Atarinkë

Amrod: Pityafinwë & Ambarussa

Amras: Telufinwë, Ambarussa, Umbarto & Ambarto

If we go with the above names, then that gives us: 22 Names (As Sengir Stated), 23 if we go with Ambarussa I & II.

This does not include Celebrimbor (Telperinquar) as he was a "Grandson" of Feanor and not one of the "Sons" of Feanor, though he could be included and we could call it the Decendants of Feanor or something like that. This would give us up to 25 names.

Also a question. What do these special Great People do?

In essense these great people only have the hero promo (+1xp slowly up to 100xp like all the heroes). Furthermore, the only other thing they can do is transform into a "normal buildable" (axeman, spearman, chariot, archer, horseman, adept, etc. in FFH) by paying an upgrade fee like you would pay if you upgrade for example a warrior to an axeman. The added advantage is off course that it has the hero promotion (unlocking specific promo's and the +1xp without combat). This civ will than have no hero unit but I would keep the captain units (depending on if we give them names I think also). The king unit is also still there.

Something else I came across, in FFH2 there is a sort of king unit in the game. For the mercurians and infernals, there is a unit of the leader which you get when starting and also when that one dies, you loose leadertraits (or parts of them or something). It might actually be pretty cool to use a similar thing (although I don't like losing all traits)

I think the suggestion was mine, and I've played Grigori before (they're fun, but not as fun as Kuriotates).

In FFH, Adventurers are born like Great People but can upgrade to any infantry unit (warrior path, archer path or mage path). They start with the gradual XP gain and the Hero promotion. If you can get a Great Adventurer soon, you can just upgrade them to a warrior and fort them and after a while they'll have Combat V and Heroic Strength II, and you can still upgrade them all the way up to Phalanx or Paladin when you get that ability.

That's essentially my vision for the Sons of Fëanor, depending on how the promotion system works out. The names are fine too, though we may not need too many since you would still be able to get non-Adventurer (or Son) Great People along with Adventurers (or Sons).

Plh, ninja-ed! And limiting sounds good too, you just get other Great People instead.

I'm not sure they should be unavailable before the Oath of Fëanor project, since GPs are slow enough to get. I like the idea of an Oath of Fëanor project, but then again, most of what I can think up for it to do is essentially every idea I have to differentiate the Fëanorians from the rest of the Noldor (stuff like a drive to obtain the Silmarilli for the AI).

Speaking of Silmarilli, we might want a discussion thread about Items. I've got some ideas for them.

Something else I came across, in FFH2 there is a sort of king unit in the game. For the mercurians and infernals, there is a unit of the leader which you get when starting and also when that one dies, you loose leadertraits (or parts of them or something). It might actually be pretty cool to use a similar thing (although I don't like losing all traits)

In regard to this, (thomas and/or Elda also brought this up with me) perhaps what we could do is to allow a Civ whos King Unit Dies to "Build" another. It would be a very expensive process. You would then be able to choose 1 of the Remaining Leaders and gain the use of their Traits.

In the Case of those with only 1 Leader, perhaps (not sure if this can be done or not) we could make it so that you could do the same thing (i.e., build a new King/Leader) but it Upgrades a Captain or Hero Unit to Leader Status and you regain the Traits of the Old King/Leader. If that cannot be done, perhaps you get a standard "Generic Trait" that we could come up with if no one likes the Idea of Losing your Traits permanently.

Top Bottom