Limit of 8 civs per map (sort of) confirmed

Tomice

Passionate Smart-Ass
I asked the German letsplayers who are currently playing the 250 turn Kavithan protectorate playthrough about the player limit on the map, because they talked in great detail about the custom setup menu.

According to him, 8 players is the limit even on the biggest maps (Although standard sized maps have 8 players already as default). This was somewhat to be expected since 2 factions that look the same are kinda confusing and stupid, but it's a small disappointment nonetheless.

I don't see why this is a problem. It means that if you play on a large map, each faction has more room to expand. This will suit players who like to expand peacefully before bumping into neighbors and possibly going to war. And players who do want to fight with neighbors sooner, can choose smaller maps.

What about multiplayer? What if i want to be PAC and a friend wants to be him to?
In Civ V there can be multiple of the same civilization (they just get a different color, and their capital get a name from another city of the civilization)

This is strange. Considering that BE will be as much moddable as Civ V and considering that we will likely see a lot of custom factions, there shouldn't be such limit.

This might be an indication that the game mechanic is a lot more different than we thought. This kind of limitation is reminiscent of AC where you could never get more than 7 factions and you always got 7 regardless of the size of the planet.

This is strange. Considering that BE will be as much moddable as Civ V and considering that we will likely see a lot of custom factions, there shouldn't be such limit.

Even assuming that the information in the OP is correct (i.e., how it'll be in the actual public release of the game), we don't know whether the limitation is a hard limit of 8 players or a limit of no more players than there are factions.

Or maybe you can change the cap just by editing a line in an XML file.

I'm pretty sure modders will be able to circumvent this limit within days after release. I doubt new faction mods will be forbidden.

I'm more surprised about the design decision than what I'm worried.

Given the potentially extremely agressive Alien Lifeforms, I am not surprised that even the largest maps only allow for 8 Factions. Thematically, this limit may represent a handful of humans arriving and trying to survive, as opposed to a massive horde of humanity (16+ Factions) swarming the Planet like Transluminal Locusts.

Not surprised by the news. It is a 32 bit game and it would run extremely poorly with more than 8 civs, I'd imagine. The between turn times were pretty slow for Civilization 5 and I don't imagine it'd be much different with Civilization: Beyond Earth.

When they make the jump to 64 bits, hopefully with Civ VI, these won't be issues. :)

Top Bottom