1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Links to the Individual Civ Reviews - by Ision

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ision, May 2, 2004.

1. Ision

Ision Master

It was my original intention to have 10 civs in the 1st tier, 11 in the 2nd and 10 in the 3rd. After some careful consideration, along with some input from others - their will be 11 civs in the 1st tier. The Celts have been moved to the 1st tier from the 2nd, and the review edited to reflect their new status.

Ision

2. Mr. Hyperbole

Mr. Hyperbole understated cynic

I just have a question about England.
    They're listed as 3rd tier overall but I haven't been able to find a review on them. Does anyone have a link or know where I can find it?

3. bed_head7

bed_head7 Deity

It is Zardnaar's review in the War Academy, titled something like Rule Britannia: A Guide to England. It is with Ision's reviews, so you should be able to find it easily.

4. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

I already posted the link in post #15...

5. Mr. Hyperbole

Mr. Hyperbole understated cynic

D'OH! Thanks, Pfeffersack! I should've seen that! It's been a long week...

6. RowAndLive

RowAndLive RAMMING SPEED!

Ision, very nice job with the analysis & presentation! :clap:
    I commend you (and your contributors). That said, I'm very interested in reading in-depth perspectives of Japan and the Zulu. Write On!

7. Keirador

Keirador Deity

I've been playing Civ for quite some time, but have only recently come to CivFanatics. Read Ision's wonderful reviews, learned some new things, but I just have one dumb question. What does REX mean?

8. Richard Cribb

Richard Cribb He does monologues

Ision - I should have written this long time ago, but better late than never. Let me just thank you for all your splendid articles . I always read your stuff with the greatest interest and my own game has benefitted vastly as a result of this. In the words of Chaucer, you are a verray, parfit gentil knight.
    Keirador - REX stands for Rapid early expansion. It is a strategy where you pump out settlers as fast as you can for maximum landgrab. There exists an essay about it at Apolyton Forum written by Lawrence of Arabia, I suppose one can find something about it here at CFF as well.

9. Keirador

Keirador Deity

Thanks. I always just called it "landgrab".

10. Mad2rix

Mad2rix Warlord

We're missing:
    Civ3: Russia, Japan, France, Zululand
    PTW: Spain, Vikings, Arabs, Korea
    C3C: Netherlands, Portugal, Austria(hidden civ)

We promise that we'll be patience with reading each of these missing civ reviews to allow the new players to get to know better about 32 civs they want to play as.

11. andrewlt

andrewlt Prince

Is the Korean UU really that bad? Or is the Greek hoplite really that good? I've noticed that one is in the 1st tier while the other is in the 3rd tier even though they have the same civ traits. I'm wondering why.

To the poster above: What do you mean by a hidden civ (Austria)?

12. Ision

Ision Master

Okay, let me get this out of the way:

Yes, the Greek Hoplite is really that good, and more importantly its nearly acts as a third mini-trait; especially at the higher levels. So, inspite of both Greece and Korea being Sci/Com; IMO the Greeks play out far better on average.

Yes, I did rate the Bezerk as a stone cold deadly 1st tier UU. I stand by that. Nevertheless, the inherent weakness of the Viking Sea/Mil combo, especially in the early game, makes the Bezerk more of a game saver - than a game breaker.

Ision

13. Mad2rix

Mad2rix Warlord

Normally you can't play as Austria when you choose any of 31 civs due to the limit of 32 civ maximum included with barbarians. If you wish to play as Austria, you have to modify from the original rule of Civ3: C3C and remove one of your least favorite civilization or remove barbarian units from general settings and add Austria civ.

14. Keirador

Keirador Deity

I still don't understand this hidden civ thing. Its something the designers put in the game? What are Austrias traits? UU?

15. andrewlt

andrewlt Prince

Ok. I asked because from reading the article about the Greeks, my impression was that you were saying the Greeks had a decent combination of traits and their UU pushes them to the top. Seeing the Koreans on the bottom tier, however, my impression changed to that the combination isn't good at all but the Greeks have a really powerful UU.

16. Sargon of Agade

Sargon of Agade Lvl 40 Troll Shaman

I completly agree with the Mayan review, and I played the best game of Civ3C as them, the amount on slaves created + great triats made a deadly combonation. I am looking to start a new game with a friend, what Civ would you recomend for a player who prefers to get his conquering step my step, one civ at a time?

17. Aggie

Aggie Deity

I must say that I agree with the praise for the high quality reviews. However, I do not agree with your 3rd tier rating of England. It is my civ of choice on Sid level archipelago and one of my favorite non-agri civs on a non-pangaea map.

18. jkp1187

jkp1187 Unindicted Co-Conspirator

Agreed. Take your time and give us more detail. Is everything already in there -- or is this akin to me modding a bunch of things and adding a new civ (say, Afrikaaners or something).

19. Redemption

Redemption Chieftain

I bow down to you in friendship Ision, Zardsnaar and Scoutsnout! You all love civ and are skilled in the arts of reviewing! Friends gather from afar and the readers rejoice!

Céad Míle Fáilte! I am hsifikkjlle <shakes head>...guess I played too much this week, I'm going crazy! Behold tis mutual addiction pact....

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the other reviews...even your puny culture...wonder of the king of the north brotherrrmortals tremblebleble.......kshkwrror....sbenevl...dswwise........

20. BrianJ

BrianJ King

Is this still active? I'd like to see them all once done!

Great job on the reviews