List every single nation your country has been at war with!

This will either be vaguely interesting or generate juicy flaming.

I'll start with the US.

1. Britain (2x)
2. Itself (Civil war)
3. Iraq (2x)
4. Spain
5. North Korea
6. North Vietnam
7. Every single precolonial North American nation within the US's current borders
8. Mexico (2x if you include the independence of Texas)
9. Canada, while it was a British possession
10. Germany (2x)
11. Japan
12. Afghanistan
13. Libya (small engagement)
14. Iran (small engagement)
15. Somalia (small engagement)
16. Haiti (small engagement)
17. Panama (small engagement)

There are some other nations with which US has had some military skirmish. During WW1 the US invaded Russia, but I don't know much about that.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

EDIT: I forgot the Barbary Pirates, so let's say:
13. Libya (2x)

Forgot:
[from Max Boot's The Savage Wars of Peace Small Wars and the Rise of American Power]

Marquesas natives (1813 expedition)
Argentina (1831 destruction of Argentine settlement on falklands in retaliation for them capturing some American fishing boats)
Sumatran Pirates (1830s)
Natives of Fiji, Samoa, and Drummond Islands (1838-1842 expedition)
China (1856 during Second Anglo-Chinese War when a Chinese fort fired on some American ships, we retaliated)
Korea (1871)

Numerous Latin American interventions prior to Spanish American War:
Argentina 1833, 1852, 1890
Peru 1835
Nicaragua 1852, 1853, 1854, 1896, 1899
Uruguay 1855, 1858, 1868
Mexico 1870
Chile 1891
Panama(Colombia) 1860, 1873, 1885, 1895

Boxer Rebels 1900
Filipino Rebels 1899-1902 (over 4000 american deaths)

More Cuba, Dominican Republic, Panama, Nicaragua, and Mexico (1899-1914)
Then you got Haiti (1915-1934) and Dominican Republic (1916-1924)
Pancho Villa 1916-1917

Red Russia 1918-1920

Nicaragua 1926-1933
Various Chinese Warlords(kinda like pirates) 1901-1941

Not listed in the book but you also forgot Utah War(1857-58 in which US government fought Mormons over their desire for an independent country), Grenada (lol), and Serbia(1995) and Bosnia(1999)

That I can think of,

Dutch South Africa
Germany
Austria-Hungary
Italy
Turkey
Japan
France

and some German/Nazi satellites which I'm not sure enough of to list exhaustively. I suppose Communist Korea should also be mentioned, though war was never declared.

My list for Flanders or Belgium nowadays or maybe back Flanders in the future:
ancient age:
themselves (barb tribes)
Romans (lost)
the Franks(won but still some remained)
medieval times:
all the enemies of the Merovingians and Carolingians(won)
normans(won)
the Byzantine empire (won)
the French:lost2won1 1302 "historic skirmish (payback time: ownage of 2000 French knights
The holy Roman empire (lost... i guess)
the new age:
the spanish won 1 lost 1
the french (lost)
austrians (lost)
the French again (lost)
the Dutch (won)
bought Congo
WOI:
the germans: won!!!
woII:
lost but liberated by...Polish (at least my hometown was)
thats'it

We've been around for over 6000 years. I'd have an easier time listing who we haven't been at war with (or rather, who hasn't attacked us).

Really... I thought India as we know it today was quite recent, prior to that it was made up of various kingdoms.
For instance, I didn't include wars waged by Gauls when I listed nations that France has been at war with...

Actually, the Utah War was not, I think over the desire for an independent nation.

Well its unlikely if the Mormons had won the US government would let them continue to practice what they felt was un-American and would have just decided to severe ties with the area.

I'd be interested to see that checked.

Iirc Finland declared on the Soviet Union in -41 but nobody else, and then it's a bit unclear which allied nations decided to declare war on Finland for the Soviet's sake. It was still in living memory, 1940, when Finland stood alone against the Soviet Union, but with all the allied sympathy.

You are probably right, I can't find anything.

I just assumed anyone allied with the Nazis would immediately get a declaration of war from Poland.

Well its unlikely if the Mormons had won the US government would let them continue to practice what they felt was un-American and would have just decided to severe ties with the area.

Well, neither side really wanted a shooting war, but then the US never seemed inclined just to leave the Mormons alone either - and the minerals and railroads that came later would have encouraged that. And for their part the Mormons would not have wanted to give up US citizenship.

A list for Canada. I included some rebellions and such.

France/England - (War of the Spanish Succession, War of the Austrian Succession, Seven Years' War)
United States - (War of American Independence)
United States - (War of 1812)
Metis - (Red River Rebellion, North-West Rebellion)
Transvaal - (Boer War)
Orange Free State - (Boer War)
Germany (World War I)
Austria-Hungary (World War I)
Ottoman Empire (World War I)
Bolsheviks (Russian Civil War)
Germany (World War II)
Italy (World War II)
Japan (World War II)
Finland (World War II)
Hungary (World War II)
Romania (World War II)
North Korea (Korean War)
Iraq (Gulf War)
Taliban (Afghan War)

When Poland was being crushed from both sides by the Nazis and the Soviets, an officer of the Polish Army knew the game was up, and knew that him and his soldiers would have to die fighting the invaders for their motherland.
However, he wanted to give his brave soldiers the choice of which direction to go and hence whom to fight; west for the Germans and east for the Soviets.

So he stood up in front of his decimated company and says
"My brave and loyal fighters! Poland is on her last legs, and will fall, but we have the chance to kill some of the invading bastards! I leave it to you to decide which front we shall march to"

A voice comes from the ranks:
"So, you're saying to choose beetween killing the Nazis and the Russkies?"
"Yes"
"We fight the Krauts, and then the Russians. After all, business before pleasure!"

For Canada's list, just see Britain's list. That's basically how we've always decided when to go to war.

For Canada's list, just see Britain's list. That's basically how we've always decided when to go to war.

No worries though, we're out out change all of that that! Soon enough we'll just follow the US' lead instead ;)

No worries though, we're out out change all of that that! Soon enough we'll just follow the US' lead instead ;)

I kind of figured you would start following France. Regardless, you'll probably follow someone (just not Denmark).

Dacia:

- The Persian Empire - result: win
- Scythia - result: win
- The Roman Empire (101-102 AD) - result: tie
The Roman Empire (105-106 AD) - result: loss and conquest + assimilation of most of Dacia
Aren't you forgeting a few here ?
I don't remember the Persian Empire one ...

Dacia vs Macedonia - win
Dacia vs Greece - win (conquered some cities during Burebista)
Also Burebista conquered the teritory of Hungary and other lands around.
Dacia vs Celts(french ancestors) - lost, but they left soon enough
Dacia vs Scythia - lost, but they were driven off eventually since they had no intention of occupying the lands.
And vs Roman Empire - just like with the Celts and Scythians - they won, but they left (sorta). :D

For the Dark Ages we can only assume. But i'm sure there were some fighting with the Bulgarian Czar and the Byzantines on our soil.

Oh boy.

I'm gonna start at the Franks and the Caroligian empire, lots of countries/people that don't exist anymore :p
Thurigians
Alamanis
Visigoths
Neutria
Austrasia
Islamic Caliphates
Lombards
Avars
Saxons
Basques
Normans

then in the middle-ages:
England
Italy
pretty much every state of the HRE
Spain
Portugal
Austria
the Netherlands
Denmark
Sweden
Savoy
Aragon
Poland
Russia
Sardinia
Prussia
Philippines (?)
Iroquois
Papal states (FTW!)
Pretty much every Italian city-state (Venice, Milan, Naples)
Ottoman Empire
Haiti
Trarza/Mauritania
Algeria
Mexico
Japan
Ivory Coast
China
Dahomey
Siam
Wadai (Chad/Sudan)
Syria
Thailand (because Siam was not enough :) )
Indochina
Madagascar
Tunisia
Egypt
Bulgaria
Austria-Hungary
Turkey (because the islamic caliphates and the ottoman empire was not enough)
North Korea
Soviet Union
Iraq
Serbia

And I'm pretty sure I left out some.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_wars_and_battles#Middle_Ages

Switzerland
Canada
You've forgotten our most recent conflict: Afghanistan. We have still soldiers there in the operation Enduring Freedom.

Aren't you forgeting a few here ?
I don't remember the Persian Empire one ...
Well yes, it happened... the Dacians defeated Emperor Darius... ;) :D

Dacia vs Macedonia - win
Yeah, forgot about this one. :)

Dacia vs Greece - win (conquered some cities during Burebista)
I don't think this counts... Greece was not united during this time, it was more a local conflict.

Also Burebista conquered the teritory of Hungary and other lands around.
Which were populated with Dacians, so doesn't really matter, Hungary anyway did not exist at the time (at the time, the Magyars were still in Asia) :p

Dacia vs Celts(french ancestors) - lost, but they left soon enough
Never heard about this one, you might be right though. :)

Dacia vs Scythia - lost, but they were driven off eventually since they had no intention of occupying the lands.
Depends... They won a few wars too. The Scythian wars were numerous. :)

And vs Roman Empire - just like with the Celts and Scythians - they won, but they left (sorta). :D
Yeah, they left, but only after 150 years. :)

For the Dark Ages we can only assume. But i'm sure there were some fighting with the Bulgarian Czar and the Byzantines on our soil.

Yes it's very possible that there was some fighting with the First Bulgarian Empire. But I don't think there was any fight against the Second Bulgarian Empire, since the ruling family was Romanian/Vlach* anyway (Asanesti - Asan in Bulgarian).

*I mentioned Vlach too because it's technically impossible to determine whether they were Romanians (Daco-Romanians, like the Romanians today), Aromanians, Megleno-Romanians or other kinds of Romanians.

As for Byzantium... I don't know if we've ever fought Byzantium... we've always actually fought their enemies, which would make us their allies for most part. But probably some fights did happen at some time.. just saying because it's hard not to have any conflict with a big Empire that's right next door to you. :)

Yes but the Brits also follow every American lead so that point remains.

Though I just remebered the Falklands War, which we did not participate in.

Top Bottom