List of Avaliable Fantasy Units

Certainly an ambitious endeavor and I mean that in a good way. I have perused a couple of the Dragon Age mod sites and it looks as though the models and textures can be extracted, albeit with some difficulty involved. The reason I say this is that if you intend on importing the look of Dragon Age units into CiV you have three choices: create them entirely from scratch (very time consuming and not recommended), extract them from the game and create custom animations (somewhat time consuming), or rig the extracted models/textures to existing CiV animations (easiest and recommended).

Basically, if you can't extract the models out of the original game you have some serious challenges ahead of you. The reason why we use LOTR and other unit conversions for CiV is not necessarily because we are LOTR fanatics (although admittedly some of us are), it is simply because there are a wide variety of games available from which to extract models, textures, and animations that can be easily imported into CiV. So, as a recommendation I would suggest visiting the Dragon Age mod sites to figure out the best way to start extracting the goodies out of it. I will be more than happy to provide you with any advice you may request along the way; I just am too engrossed with other projects to contribute directly at this time.

BTW, I visited your mod page and it looks great! Keep up the good work! :goodjob:

I have come across a few in-game models that have been extracted as .mesh files. Is that a file type that's workable in Blender?

And thanks for taking the time to explain it; I honestly have no idea what 3D modelling entitles.

I have come across a few in-game models that have been extracted as .mesh files. Is that a file type that's workable in Blender?

And thanks for taking the time to explain it; I honestly have no idea what 3D modelling entitles.

From what I can tell there is a decent overview to get you started here. The necessary DA Toolset download page is here. NOTE: I can't vouch for either of these sites as to their legitimacy since I haven't tried converting anything from Dragon Age.

It looks like they convert to .obj files. This is a common exchange format available to most 3D modeling software, including Blender. The only problem is that you will get the mesh but not the animations. You should be able to extract the .dds texture files as well which is the same format used in CiV. Hopefully when the .obj file imports it does so either in separate meshes or with separate materials; otherwise, you will have a jumble of UV mapping with little idea on how they are assigned to the textures. Let's assume that is not the case and that each material neatly assigns itself to its respective mesh.

Since you won't have animations, you will need to rig the mesh to existing animations. This is very easy to do if you have a humanoid unit with no special articulation, but what about a dragon or non-humanoid creature? Obviously there aren't any dragons in CiV, so you will either have to create custom animations or find some from another game and rig the unit to them. At present there are actually two dragon animations in the game: Civitar's conversion of Chalid's Civ IV dragon and FA's drake units (also from Civ IV). If neither of those unit animations are suitable you will have to make customs. I have a lot of custom animation ideas in the works since CiV doesn't have such animations and all fantasy mods need them, but it will be a while before I can get to them (Civitar is also planning on a few as well). So, initially I would recommend converting a humanoid unit from Dragon Age since they will be easiest to convert. Hopefully, by the time you get around to bringing in the more difficult units there will be custom animations ready that will be suitable for that particular unit.

From one having no idea of animating... Wouldn't the animations from BE work with CiV?

From one having no idea of animating... Wouldn't the animations from BE work with CiV?

I don't own BE so I can't answer this question completely, but I assume that they might work if they are Granny (.gr2) files. I do know we can extract the BE models into Blender so it seems very promising. The issue remaining even if they did would be to set the effects and datagraphs for the unit (defined in the .fxsxml file) just like you would any unit with custom animations. Definitely not a bad idea if you want to avoid creating animations from scratch, though.

If I'm not mistaken, the problem with importing BE to CiV is with the effects, as those are in the inaccessible part of the DLL. :(

Yes, that's true; we cannot use BE effects so we would have to use existing CiV effects.

BE animations are fine, there is just a very small conversion to do with Nexus Buddy (no need for Blender) before they can be used in Civ5. But they'd need to have Civ5 effects assigned.
BE sounds can be used as well. I'm sure Nomad knows how.;)

I know Civitar, you have your workshop, but I want to ask a broader selection of people by posting here. Is there anyone who can take the Vampire Swordsman model and add horns to it, like this?

Spoiler :

I'm willing to create some 2D art in exchange for whoever can do this. I can even create art from scratch (pencil art, digitally coloured in).

I've added another twenty units to the list in the OP and will try to add the rest when I have more time.
As I haven't been very active this year, I don't know what's been happening in the fantasy modding area. Can someone please fill me in?

Well, by following the link to my Unit Workshop in my signature you can find every unit I've done so far. Nomad has done Orcs and Goblins, as well as a selection of units like a Werewolf, Minotaur, Drider, Fire Lizard (with sounds and firebreathing effects!), a LOTR Dwarf (which I'll be using sometime to update my Dwarf pack), and a Nazgul. I'm also working through animating a flying, six-limbed dragon (also with sounds and firebreathing effects) and am about to upload a new version of Kwadjh's Wolf that has sounds, no rifleman effects, and can be reskinned. Just browse through the Unit Graphics forum and you'll find it's almost all fantasy units on the first couple pages (i.e. in the last year).
Regarding mods, my Warhammer is progressing nicely while Pazyryk went AWOL in September/October and Éa has been inactive since (although he got it up to v7 before disappearing). Faerun has had a couple of big updates, and there are a few new projects starting up - Bane's Warlords BattleCiv, Belzhorash's SplitterCiv, DoktorApplejuice's Dragon Age... only the last one appears to be progressing actively though.

It is great to have you back Murphy! I hope you'll stay around this time...

Well, by following the link to my Unit Workshop in my signature you can find every unit I've done so far. Nomad has done Orcs and Goblins, as well as a selection of units like a Werewolf, Minotaur, Drider, Fire Lizard (with sounds and firebreathing effects!), a LOTR Dwarf (which I'll be using sometime to update my Dwarf pack), and a Nazgul. I'm also working through animating a flying, six-limbed dragon (also with sounds and firebreathing effects) and am about to upload a new version of Kwadjh's Wolf that has sounds, no rifleman effects, and can be reskinned. Just browse through the Unit Graphics forum and you'll find it's almost all fantasy units on the first couple pages (i.e. in the last year).
Regarding mods, my Warhammer is progressing nicely while Pazyryk went AWOL in September/October and Éa has been inactive since (although he got it up to v7 before disappearing). Faerun has had a couple of big updates, and there are a few new projects starting up - Bane's Warlords BattleCiv, Belzhorash's SplitterCiv, DoktorApplejuice's Dragon Age... only the last one appears to be progressing actively though.

Yeah, I also heard a rumor about a new fantasy mod called Ouroboros as well. Anybody else know anything about this? :p

Ditto what Civitar said - good to have you back Murphy!

I've just added another five units to the OP list. I'm going to be away for a day or two, but I hope to finish the list within the next week.
Ditto what Civitar said - good to have you back Murphy!
I appreciate that, but I can't say I'll be active for too long. I have other interests now, and it would take a really great mod like FFH or RFC to get me involved in Civilization again.

I can't say I'll be active for too long. I have other interests now, and it would take a really great mod like FFH or RFC to get me involved in Civilization again.

Like Ouroboros, perhaps? Nomad and I intend to make it really great.:D

So... what about Endless Legend? Is it possible to bring those units to CiV?
I'm thinking about buying this game, if their units could be brought here it would seal the deal.

To my knowledge, EL units cannot be extracted as of yet. I keep pretty close tabs on games for extracting 3D models and I have been disappointed that nobody has cracked this one.

Oh, another unit to add to the fantasy list: Orc Lizard Rider

Spoiler :

To my knowledge, EL units cannot be extracted as of yet. I keep pretty close tabs on games for extracting 3D models and I have been disappointed that nobody has cracked this one.

Oh, another unit to add to the fantasy list: Orc Lizard Rider

Spoiler :

Wow, this is actually perfect for something I was hoping to include in one of my mods. In Dragon Age, one of the nations uses creatures called dracolisks in their cavalry (ugly half-horse, half-dragon looking things), and this is pretty close to the right shape for them. Thanks, Nomad!

Definitely not a new addition, since Civitar already converted it a while ago, but the Dragon has been given a makeover, with four different types (9 skins altogether), 4 custom breath effects (fire, acid, electric, and gas), and custom sounds (including foot stomps and breath attacks). You can download the new series from Civitar's Dragon thread here or from the Civ 5 - Fantasy Units download page.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom