List of Avaliable Fantasy Units

Yes, I have. I can get the models into Civ5 no problem.
But I can't get the effects in, so you'll have no flashes, laser beams, explosions, splashes, alien gunk splatters, fires, or smoke. And the units will be totally silent.

I've been working on a near-future mod recently, so I was revisiting Skaja's WH40K models to see if I could get them to work with Civ 5 effects instead of his custom ones, using Nomad or What's tutorial. I suspect I'm running into issues with scaling, so it'll probably take a lot more effort to get them to work... but it does have me wondering if it's be possible to hook up existing Civ 5 effects to the Civ BE models instead. It's a shame to lose out on some of the cool effects that were used in BE, though. :(

Of course, you can give the BE models effects from Civ5. However many of the robots and aliens have so many complex effects that it's barely worth it.
I mean, Aegis in BE fires red laser beams that actually look like something out of Star Wars. Replacing those with the slow green laser from the XCOM Squad would be just too lame for me.

All units have tons of effects in both Civ5 and CivBE.
If you open a unit's timed trigger file (usually fx_triggers_[unitname].ftsxml), the whole thing is the effects of a single unit.
For example, you wouldn't think a Civ5 Warrior had many effects, would you?
Think again.
Puffs of dust from feet, flaming torches from hands, trails in the air from swings of clubs, plus grunts, yells, screams, thuds, splashes, clatters, and footsteps. To name but a few.
Now imagine it for an alien creature that squirts acid/flings greeny projectiles/throws up showers of earth and rocks/more crazy alien stuff.
Shall I even start on the mechanical-sounding, laser-producing, exploding robots and battlesuits?;)
Good thing I'm not stubborn. Otherwise I might still be trying to figure it out.
Opens civbeartdefines_viseffects.xml for the umpteen-billionth time to track down ART_DEF_VEFFECT_AEGIS_LASER_BEAM_RED.

Oh. :(
So, it's not worth it, then. Too bad.

It is an interesting question -- is it more worthwhile to try and convert sci-fi units from Civ 4, or from Civ BE? Neither one is going to have effects carry over.

I've been considering whether to try and work my way through some of the tutorials given to convert some robotics units to incorporate into the near-future mod I've been toying with. There's some robotic infantry from Civ 4 that I was considering, but given that the Disciple should do sufficient while at least giving me pre-made .gr2s to work with, I'm sorely tempted to just try and rig a Disciple with Civ 5 effects. Okay, sure they won't have the cool Firaxite beams, but plasma guns from the GDR or even just high-tech machine guns would work for me...

Does anyone know where I can find a mage model? I've looked through the thread but it doesn't seem like anyone has made/converted one.

Thanks.

Thanks for the models, shame about the thread, but at least there's still some people lurking around.

Does anyone know where I can find a mage model? I've looked through the thread but it doesn't seem like anyone has made/converted one.

Thanks.

Check the fantasy downloads thread periodically - there are not only Civitar's but mine as well.

Agree, too bad this forum is out-of-date. Best idea would be to monitor the fantasy downloads for new items occasionally.

If there's anyone on this thread who can make unit models and who likes Dragon Age, I'm putting together a Dragon Age civ mod, and I would definitely welcome a co-author.

No interest in co-authoring another mod, but you can request units in my unit workshop thread (in my signature). If a unit you're looking for is one I'm planning with Nomad for Ouroboros or for one of my unit packs I can bump it up.:)
You won't get much help here I'm afraid - this thread is pretty dead without Murphy.

No interest in co-authoring another mod, but you can request units in my unit workshop thread (in my signature). If a unit you're looking for is one I'm planning with Nomad for Ouroboros or for one of my unit packs I can bump it up.:)
You won't get much help here I'm afraid - this thread is pretty dead without Murphy.

Alright, thanks!

If there's anyone on this thread who can make unit models and who likes Dragon Age, I'm putting together a Dragon Age civ mod, and I would definitely welcome a co-author.

Ditto what Civitar said; you'll notice that we specialize in fantasy units. If you have a special request for that genre it is definitely worth a look from one of us.

For my part I am trying to a) finish development of Ouroboros and b) develop animations, effects, and sounds that are unique to fantasy units and absolutely unavailable in CiV (such as flying-mount riders, winged units, and other non-humanoids). The former and latter goals may be aligned in many ways but it is a matter of timing. I have a lot of good stuff in the pipeline but it is on hold until Ouroboros is off the ground. I am pretty sure that there are many units we have already converted/modified/created that you can already use; more to follow!

Deliverator's Fire Lizard Civ IV conversion was never added to the download database so I have added it here. I have tweaked the .ftsxml file a bit to eliminate the overscaled city attack effects and removed the human voice sounds; otherwise, this is entirely Deliverator's work.

The unit is complete as-is but I may modify it in the future with fire effects if I have time to correct the effect scaling.

Of course - which is why I said that we may have already provided most of the units for your mod. For those that we haven't done yet, we will probably be getting to them eventually. :)

Yeah, I have looked through them, and the elves could potentially be re-skinned, and later on, some of the wolves and spiders could be reskinned and used in place of the barbarians, but those are about the only ones that would work. Dragon age has a bunch of creatures and potential units that are unique from the rest of fantasy (Qunari, Darkspawn, etc.), and the staple races/creatures (Elves, Dragons, mages, etc.) are pretty iconic as well. Using a LOTR or D&D dragon would look out of place.

Yeah, I have looked through them, and the elves could potentially be re-skinned, and later on, some of the wolves and spiders could be reskinned and used in place of the barbarians, but those are about the only ones that would work. Dragon age has a bunch of creatures and potential units that are unique from the rest of fantasy (Qunari, Darkspawn, etc.), and the staple races/creatures (Elves, Dragons, mages, etc.) are pretty iconic as well. Using a LOTR or D&D dragon would look out of place.

Certainly an ambitious endeavor and I mean that in a good way. I have perused a couple of the Dragon Age mod sites and it looks as though the models and textures can be extracted, albeit with some difficulty involved. The reason I say this is that if you intend on importing the look of Dragon Age units into CiV you have three choices: create them entirely from scratch (very time consuming and not recommended), extract them from the game and create custom animations (somewhat time consuming), or rig the extracted models/textures to existing CiV animations (easiest and recommended).

Basically, if you can't extract the models out of the original game you have some serious challenges ahead of you. The reason why we use LOTR and other unit conversions for CiV is not necessarily because we are LOTR fanatics (although admittedly some of us are), it is simply because there are a wide variety of games available from which to extract models, textures, and animations that can be easily imported into CiV. So, as a recommendation I would suggest visiting the Dragon Age mod sites to figure out the best way to start extracting the goodies out of it. I will be more than happy to provide you with any advice you may request along the way; I just am too engrossed with other projects to contribute directly at this time.

BTW, I visited your mod page and it looks great! Keep up the good work! :goodjob:

Top Bottom