Live on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Disasters - natural or otherwise - can be a fine addition to the game, but that's not the actual, substantive game play we're all hoping for to spruce up the mid- to late-game.
Part of the problem with disasters is that they are random and out of the players control. What would be better is player-created climate change like in civ 4. There could even be stuff like cutting down too many forests causing desertification, too many big cities along a river causing pollution, etc. As long as it is something that the player/AI can control it is fine.

What would be better is player-created climate change like in civ 4.

Didn't AI civilizations also contribute to global warming in Civ4?

I'm fine with Natural disasters. If they are done right of course, it's not an easy thing to balance. As mentioned, we want more late game stuff. If it's not in this expansion, then perhaps there could be a 3rd expansion after all.

Part of the problem with disasters is that they are random and out of the players control. What would be better is player-created climate change like in civ 4. There could even be stuff like cutting down too many forests causing desertification, too many big cities along a river causing pollution, etc. As long as it is something that the player/AI can control it is fine.

I'm fine with both player-driven and natural disasters. Slashing and burning rain forests coupled with heavy industry creating climate change or poor sanitation leading to plague are things that could work for the former. For the latter, as long as the consequences aren't too harsh or permanent, the risk/reward is balanced, and the risk is clearly communicated to players then I say bring them on.

Tried to take a two hour nap. My cats woke me up after 1 hour and 30 minutes (So close yet so far) so here I am now.

I think having natural disasters can be really cool, so long as there is ways to prepare for and negate some of the effects. For instance, you should know there is a chance of hurricanes along the coast, and it is your choice to settle there, but even if you do: you can build infrastructure to help negate some of the damage should a hurricane actually occur, but it takes time. And it is up to the player to decide if they want to prepare for the chance of a disaster, or if they want to play the risky game and play unprotected. Random isn't bad, so long as there is ways to play around it.

For selfish reasons I don't want Babylon in the game, because I have no idea how to fit it into the map

Also prepare yourself for a Video or more clouds in 5 minutes

Consider this! Natural Disaster themed Emergencies, think of it as similar to the war and religion ones, but maybe you have to send a certain amount of gold or resources or builders, etc within a certain amount of time. Those that manage it get a positive modifier towards relations those who don’t get the opposite!

It is like 0.01% darker. We may be in for the long haul

What changed? Slightly more turbulent clouds?
Basically. The rain sound picked up speed for a moment and the middle gray clouds became darker. Also, if you have it in high res and full screen, the number of rain drops are a bit more pronounced than before.

Bit more of a howl to the wind

Does anyone have the time that it started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom