1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Livestreamer Previews Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I have to say Quill earned a chuckle from me with "Canuckistan." Can I get a mod to make that the civ's actual name? :p

CivLuvah likes this.
  2. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Yeah I know Quill is Canadian. ChristopherOdd is doing Canada as well but no idea about his place of residence. (I cannot distinguish Canadian accents from American ones, despite knowing more Canadians than Americans lolwhoops).

Right now of the streams I've seen the Power Ranking on King (aka roleplaying difficulty lol) seems to be Ottomans > Maori > Mali > Canada. Quill is doing a really poor job at showcasing Canada's strengths but the extra Diplomatic Favour is quite neat, but it functions like Tamar's Golden Age bonus in that it's too amorphous to really quantify properly. The World Congress also functions not really as it should (it makes no sense that you cannot BRIBE Civs to support certain resolutions; no taking their Diplomatic Currency doesn't freaking count, Firaxis because everyone gets a free vote), making it difficult to take advantage of.

3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

in Quill's defense he did start not on Tundra of all places.

4. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

Do you guys think Persia got its ability changed/buffed to something that generate diplomatic favor? Cyrus is doing quite well diplomatically in Quill18 game

Alexadamz likes this.
  5. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Is that why he build St. Basil's in a city without a Holy Site or Tundra? :p

6. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

He said he was raised in Saskatchewan in his video but now lives in Quebec. :)
    As for accents, I live in Texas so some Americans up north definitely sound Canadian to me.

7. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

It's a big deal because their NDA said they aren't allowed to open it.

CPWimmer likes this.
  8. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

This is very interesting. I'm very surprised they put the adjacency local boost only on the coal plant. As others have mentioned and I've speculated on before, having to build a factory first (which guarantees 2 power load) kind of makes it questionable to actually stack plants. If I'm Germany everywhere will have coal plants, because who can resist the extra 10-20 production, but maybe if we have nuclear infrastructure in place we can just build the coal plants anyways but sell all our coal off? (In an effort to stay green)

If it were me I would have put the adj. bonus on the factory (local bonus) and shifted the aura to be purely a function of power supply (so 0/+5 instead of +2/+3.) That way players would still want to put down a factory in productive IZs instead of having a scattering of factory+plants and the rest sitting at workshop.

bbbt, Elhoim and acluewithout like this.
  9. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

Picking Mali in the press release seems to be too much for the streamers to take in at-a-glance. Those initial 20-30 turns set the entire stage for Mali while any blunders seem to marches them 15 turns back. They don't seem challenging... just ridged to play before their 1st expansion.

Phoenicia game-play is lacking as well and I'd like to see more, but it seems they where made for R&F and not GS.

Overall it is nice to see players tripping up from time to time as I'll be fumbling around with the civs eventually myself.

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

ChristopherOdd is Canadian as well.

It's odd that you seem intent on policing this when, as a sleuth, you should be welcoming it.

Isengardtom likes this.
  11. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

I think it has more to due with screening information we didn't already have instead of policing. Sure there is a record of it with the screens, but (I assume) that was not the primary intention.

12. dnoisette

dnoisette Warlord

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I saw someone earlier in this thread ask for some Mali gameplay: Marbozir has now released a video in which he plays as Mali.

13. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

It was posted a bit earlier and I feel the gameplay showed was disappointing.

Marb prioritized food and production, bought x2 tiles early (for food), worked poor tiles, and got into a lux/housing bottleneck.

I think those comments where on pages 44-45 on this thread.

14. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

The eye of the Sahara is on the Sechura desert, while the Sahara desert is a few tiles away... Go home Civ VI, you're drunk.

15. Aurelesk

Aurelesk Warlord

I do think that the +6 Production from the Coal Power Plant was the bonus Production equal to the adjacency Production bonus of its district.

Powerplant:
    • Coal: 4 Power (Aura), Bonus Production to adjacency Production bonus of its district, heavy CO2
    • Oil: 4 Power (Aura), 3 Production (Aura), moderate CO2
    • Nuclear: 16 Power (Aura), 4 Production (Aura), 3 Science (Aura), minuscule CO2, explosion may occur
    They are not equal: Coal < Oil < Nuclear. But you get Coal in Industrial, Oil in Modern and Nuclear in Atomic. So you have a choice, pollute a lot to allow early Power or be more responsible and delay it for a more eco-friendly choice (Nuclear, Solar, Wind...).

Coal can have huge benefit... if you plan to have a lot of Industrial Zone in your civilization and when some city are already covert by Oil and Nuclear. I do think that Nuclear and Oil stacks, and putting Magnus in the central city for huge amount of cumulative Nuclear / Oil will be very effective. In case of Germany, that will be the same. Except that peripherical cities will enjoy the Hansa because+1 district/city, half Production needed, more inner Production from adjacency make them useful, contrary of others civilization that will build others districts instead. The peripherical cities are often the coastal one and the borders one. In this case, Coal Powerplant will have a use (with adjacency card slotted) but you will have to assume the extra CO2 for ocean rising and the killing of thousand of Germans and nearby neighboor because of the result of combustion put in the air. Wait, that is no real life! Coal Power Plant do not reduce the growth of nearby cities in 6 tiles radius! What a mistake!

It all depends how much Industrial Zone you are willing to put in your civilization. For the players that put them only in key cities for the aura bonus, therefore Coal Power will have not a long term use, just for early Power.

ExtremeGardens likes this.
  16. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

New episode from Quill18. He is trying to buy diplo favor from the AI and buy his way to victory. None of the AIs want to sell favors to him under any circumstance. Good to see that the AI is "aware" he is winning and trying to cheesy his win in the world congress using gold.

Kjimmet, CivLuvah, Stilgar08 and 3 others like this.
  17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Yeah it's not looking good for him. I'm currently watching. He may not win his game. He needed to focus more on suzerainship with all the city-states. I don't know if he can do it. Kongo is generating too much culture for him to win culture victory in time, especially since he has too many districts blocking national parks. Still, he might be able to do it if he pulls up nearly all his improvements, uses city parks to boost appeal when necessary, and national park his entire empire. But he may still run out of time.

I still find his game entertaining, maybe more so knowing that it's not an easy cruise to victory like the Maori game.

18. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

Considering that Carbon Recapture let you basically convert CO2 into diplomatic favor, if you're going for diplomatic you want to generate CO2 so you can convert it later. In this sense CO2 is a resource.

19. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Must be - there's plenty of flat farmland in this part of the U.S.covered in wind turbines.

Very nice!

Oh, wow! Pretty sure I haven't built it in Civ VI yet, but now I will!

Yes, let's not have this sort of silliness.

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

AI does build GDR. There was no reason to think it wouldn't, but figured I would show it off. Of course this same leader also built like 10 supply convoys. I guess Dido figured GDR would need lots of supplies. :D

Spoiler :

Results of Quill's latest Diplo vote. Went better this time. I think the AI doesn't really try to seriously vote against until he reaches 8. I think he was at 7 before (not sure where it shows it other than the victory screen). This time they voted like they did in the past, mostly for themselves except for Cyrus.

Spoiler :

Yes he still has this option as well. So perhaps he can win diplo victory next vote after all. Though worst case it will have to be 3 more votes.

It almost looked like the future resource prevented him from planting forests, but I may be mistaken on that.