1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading screen isn't long enough

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by gamemaster3000, Nov 1, 2015.

1. gamemaster3000

gamemaster3000 Warlord

I like to psych myself up a little before the game, but don't have any time with the quick load times.

2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Are you being funny or do you just have a very fast computer? Cause the load times are pretty slow on my computer.

3. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I have an intel i5 4670, which is pretty up there in speed (though not an i7 obviously), and my load times are really, really long. Of course, loading times are all relevant though and a matter of perspective.

4. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

If that wasnt sarcasm, you could just not press the play buttom as soon as it loads lol

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Having trouble taking this seriously, with the big green "play" button an' all.

6. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

You need to use special font for sarcasm on the internet.

Imho, loading times are ok. As long as you're not playing an Apollo game on a massive map, it's just a few moments. I've got i5-3550@4Ghz and I cannot complain even in such circumstances. Anyhow, one load per 1h session would't kill anyone even if it was 2 minutes.

7. hevans900

hevans900 Chieftain

Kappa 4Head EleGiggle. Not enough sarcasm on these forums :D

8. Olodune

Olodune Emperor GOTM Staff

I alt-tab out of the loading screens which doesn't exactly accelerate the process :lol:

I'm willing to sacrifice loading times for smooth gameplay and for more accessible modding.

A bit of an aside: is it possible to run two instances of BERT through steam?

9. rastak

rastak Emperor

He's gotta be kidding....

10. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Steam generally stops that happening; I'm not sure there are application overrides except for games that rely on something legacy / middleware like DOSBox?

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

you seem to have an Evil number of posts. :lol: I would think so I've hated loading screens sine Civ V, Civ IV's were just the right amount of not there.

I myself have an i7 and an SSD it loads pretty much anything but BE instantly, even Total War loads fast.
    In BE it loads the Menu in around 2 seconds sometimes longer depending on background processes, it loads up games in about 8 seconds which is annoying. later on when I have a ton of units it takes a few seconds more, I'm not patient. :lol:

12. Svetkavitsa

Svetkavitsa Chieftain

I got an SSD about a month ago, and my BE and CiV loading times dropped to 10% to 20% of their original times. I think that makes the single biggest difference in loading times on these games.

13. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Core i7s don't provide much, if any, of a gaming advantage over i5s, for general record.

I have an i5 and only my OS is mounted on an SSD; my games are on other drives. BE is no slower or faster than most other comparable games, including Dawn of War 2, CiV, Rome 2: Total War and XCOM.

Let's go back to the silly stuff now please :D

14. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

The game itself just loads way too fast. Before I get a chance to lose myself staring into all the twinkling stars and at the cool looking satellites (they could've taken the easy route and just copy+pasted the same object image and altered it a bit - but they didn't! Same goes for the load screen images.) it's already ready to go.

Spoiler :
    Haha... Seriously, though, sarcasm aside, the main menu trumps all of it and is absolutely beautiful -- it's worth the wait; as is the game while loading/generating.

I'm also using an i7 and have my OS/apps on one SSD and all my gaming apps on another SSD and it still feels like BE takes a much longer time to load up compared to many other games.

15. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

I find the loading time is perfect. Gives me exactly the time I need to plan my 90 turn domination or 150 turn peaceful game. If games ever reach a reasonable length then the loading times will of course need to be increased.

16. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I personally find loading screen too long, but I would just then alt-tab out, open game XML with Civilopedia and communique texts and read it while the game load.

17. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

it does and the SSD only feeds my impatience :lol:. I've seen the difference an SSD makes and its incredible but BE for some reason when starting/loading a game is much longer than loading the menu. which is strange only because Civ V is the same for both. Loading Civ V without in SSD is painful, its way faster to load a late game save than to even get into the menu.
    I'm really not a fan of Loading screens. and really the only reason for them to be pretty is because they exist. which is a good enough reason.

19. CountAccountant

CountAccountant Warlord

I'm encountering the same issue. It's so frustrating! First, I missed all of the great elevator scenes in Mass Effect, now this.

20. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

It's funny because even after the ridiculous loading time, the map still isn't ready and constantly needs to buffer or smooth out or whatever, which is really annoying.

It's even worse than in Civ 5 and yet another indication of poor coding.