Loading screen isn't long enough

In other words, if they're intentionally trying to use old coding for new mechanics regardless of whether it actually makes sense, that's their own damn fault.
of course not. their goal is to get working code in the minimum time.
how it works is largely irrelevant.
the fastest way to get an AI is to copy-paste one from civ5. you get the picture. :lol:

I'm getting the feeling that you don't know much about how games development works.

There are a lot of time constraints involved.
I am getting the feeling that you imply that players get their pay checks for nothing. only the devs are hard at work under severe time constraints.

By stating that BE is the result of 'poor coding' is essentially insulting anyone who has ever worked on ANY of the Civilization games' codebases. You are a huge advocate of CiV as is obvious from a plethora of your posts, so would you call that 'poorly coded'?
wat?

I have seen code from civ4 game dll. it has insane code like
Spoiler :

if(A) {
if(B) {
if(C & D) {
if (E) {
if(!G) {
do_somethng();
}
}
}
}
}

the max brackets I have seen is 14. 13 nested if statements! how can one possibly debug that? :lol:

I am getting the feeling that you imply that players get their pay checks for nothing. only the devs are hard at work under severe time constraints.
Not at all, but it's very easy to see which posters want to understand the constraints the developers work under, and which only see what they want to see to further their posting agenda.

I'd love to talk software all day long, really. It's a great way of learning stuff, even cross-language / platform. This topic tangent arose out of a Gamasutra link about the developers' talents (Gamasutra being a popular place for developers to post about their work), so naturally what I'm talking about is a good fit.

Ties directly back into the topic about loading times as well - this isn't a bug report thread, it's a discussion! I offered technical support earlier, too, but it went ignored.

of course not. their goal is to get working code in the minimum time.
how it works is largely irrelevant.
the fastest way to get an AI is to copy-paste one from civ5. you get the picture. :lol:

I think most of us get the picture. And it's an absolute mess. We're essentially playing an ongoing beta test.

Only we're the ones at a disadvantage because we've already paid for it.

Well, you do keep buying it. After all the statements you made about not placing any more money in Firaxis' hands, you still went ahead and bought RT.

An expansion you predicted you wouldn't like, and predicted wouldn't save the franchise in the ways you want it to be saved.

This has little to do with loading times, unless you could explain how? I'm often a defender of Firaxis around here, but you seem to be taking the opposite role without actually contributing to the topic at hand. Doesn't seem to get anyone anywhere constructive :/

Sorry, but you're wrong.

You're making things up as you go and then accusing others of not knowing what they're talking about.

That's counter-productive.

For the nth time - explain your reasoning, why am I wrong? You are just being childish at this point.

Now I'll directly quote the lead developers of BE:

"One of my favorite parts about working in the Civilization codebase is that it's very stratified," says Miller. "There's Civilization 4 code rattling around in there, some Civilization 3 rattling around in there, and you can kind of see the evolution in style and approach between games."

Which directly backs up the statement I apparently 'made up'.

Before you carry on, can you please link us to your obviously epic github/personal games dev projects/evidence that you know anything about software dev.

An IQ test score wouldn't go amiss either. I feel like I'm trying to converse with a stone.

Relax, no need to get upset.

However your arguments don't make much logical sense and I've already explained why.

Moderator Action: This pointless "argument about what constitutes a decent argument" has derailed this thread. Please get back on topic.

Top Bottom