(LOCKED) Going for Gold: Buildings

Is this item in a reasonable state of balance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
River cities can build wind plants, I think. It makes the Hydro Plant irrelevant outside of floodplains.

Doesn't seem to be the case.

Spoiler Screenshot :
Screenshot (42).png

Doesn't seem to be the case.

Spoiler Screenshot :
Why not? The tooltip only says that you can't have an Hydro Plant AND a Wind Plant in the same city. But you can still decide to build a Wind Plant instead of a Hydro Plant in river cities.

Edit: oops! my bad. I didn't see that ^^u

Last edited:
Why not? The tooltip only says that you can't have an Hydro Plant AND a Wind Plant in the same city. But you can still decide to build a Wind Plant instead of a Hydro Plant in river cities.

At the bottom it says "City must not be built next to a River"

Why not let Hydro Plant affect more tiles? I've been modding my Wind and Hydro Plants to affect all tiles, and it seems to be fine.

Can we please, for the love of God, reduce Amphitheaters to 4/4 on their Tourism theming bonuses?

Right now they are 4/6:tourism: on National/global tourism output. That's extremely high for a Classical era 2:greatwork:GWs bonus building. For comparison, The Assyrian Royal Library gives the same 6:tourism: output with 3:greatwork:GWs, and the themeing requirements are harder to satisfy.

but then you need writers to fill it for you and not just writers you need foreign writers.

Do amphitheaters need a themeing bonus at all? Even going hard tourism I usually don't manage to theme more than 1 set of writing. I do theme a lot of art/artifacts, but writing themes all seem to require a lot of trading.

Amphitheaters give 4:tourism: if you theme your own GWs and 6:tourism: if you theme 2 GWs from other civs. It is easier to simply trade for foreign GWs or conquer for them, so it's trivial to get the 6:tourism: bonus. It's incredibly efficient for :tourism: output, easy to do, and it puts a lot of "better" buildings out of work.
Do amphitheaters need a themeing bonus at all?
The general consensus was yes, because if they dont have one then the only theming for writing is from world wonders and Oxford.

I had tried to argue for simply adding extra slots to Heroic Epic and National monument instead, but people wanted a theoretically infinite number of slots, scaling with cities

I had tried to argue for simply adding extra slots to Heroic Epic and National monument instead, but people wanted a theoretically infinite number of slots, scaling with cities
Your idea is good. People wanting something doesn't mean it isn't incredibly stupid. You don't have infinite writer's guilds, 1 per city + national wonders should be more than enough.

We should have a tuning thread devoted just to themeing bonuses. I don't pay that much attention to them, but every time it comes up people point out big problems.

Probably need to unlock this thread now that needs reductions on buildings work totally differently now.

For starters, needs reduction was just dropped from Customs Houses. So as of posting, Customs houses provide 2:c5culture:, +2:c5gold: to :trade: International TRs, have the :tourism: boost on :trade:TR completion, and have a merchant slot.

You're going to want 1 of these in a high-value city for most of your trade routes to go in/out from. More importantly, it's the prerequisite for your EIC, but otherwise this building goes from kinda niche to 'Arsenal' levels of niche if it doesn't affect happiness, especially if you aren't going for a CV. It's not really worth the 350:c5production: to build it.

You're going to want 1 of these in a high-value city for most of your trade routes to go in/out from. More importantly, it's the prerequisite for your EIC, but otherwise this building goes from kinda niche to 'Arsenal' levels of niche if it doesn't affect happiness, especially if you aren't going for a CV. It's not really worth the 350:c5production: to build it.
I think it also gets buffed by the bank.

Probably need to unlock this thread now that needs reductions on buildings work totally differently now.

For starters, needs reduction was just dropped from Customs Houses. So as of posting, Customs houses provide 2:c5culture:, +2:c5gold: to :trade: International TRs, have the :tourism: boost on :trade:TR completion, and have a merchant slot.

more like lock this thread and open a new one. The buildings operate entirely different now.

We are probably jumping the gun here. The new system is a beta, there is a possibility we roll it back.

I’d say get the new system stable, then if necessary adjust other entities as necessary

I propose a quick fix: if you don’t want the number of poverty reduction buildings to change, move the poverty reduction from bank to custom house.

Bank never had poverty reduction before, and it’s the same tech level as grocer, which also has a poverty reduction for a total of -2:c5unhappy: in early renaissance.

That spaces things out better and keeps customs houses relevant.

I propose a quick fix: if you don’t want the number of poverty reduction buildings to change, move the poverty reduction from bank to custom house.

Bank never had poverty reduction before, and it’s the same tech level as grocer, which also has a poverty reduction for a total of -2:c5unhappy: in early renaissance.

That spaces things out better and keeps customs houses relevant.

Banks had poverty reduction, though.

Edit: I'd be fine with switching it to Custom House, but I just wanted to set that on the record. :)

G

Did they? Well, all the same, banks will remain a powerful building even if the -1:c5unhappy: is taken out. It would space the poverty reductions out better by tech level, further from grocer. There’s a long stretch between aqueduct and bank/grocer with no relief on poverty at the moment

Did they? Well, all the same, banks will remain a powerful building even if the -1:c5unhappy: is taken out. It would space the poverty reductions out better by tech level, further from grocer. There’s a long stretch between aqueduct and bank/grocer with no relief on poverty at the moment

Fair enough.

Top Bottom