Locks up between 2-5 minutes into game

Noey said:
Hello everyone,

I had the problem that my monitor switched into stand-by modus after a few minutes. This problem occured in all new 3d-games a tried (star wars: the lord of the sith, farcry and civ4).

For weeks I searched the internet and tried several drivers etc. I guess it is something about directx and crt-monitors.

The solution for now is, as godochaos mentioned earlier, to go into the menu of you graphic card and underclock it. I have a nvidia 6800LE with a normal clock speed of 300Mhz. I had to set it to 100Mhz. After I had done this I could play all games without problems!!!

This solution can only be temporary and I hope that the microsoft developers and the game devs can fix it soon.

Hope this helps some of you, I couldn't stand it, the new civ version and not being abled to play, so enjoy!

Spent quite a few fruitless hours trying to find a solution with the checkerboard/hard reboot problem and Geforce 6800 GT. No luck but can confirm that it's nothing to do with monitor technology (same problem with LCD) and that undeclocking hasn't helped either.

It would appear that there is no fix for the issue with this card, as I have yet to see one. Let's just hope that Firaxis are aware and having included a fix in the patch.

It might be a more general problem with the latest DX release and the card judging from some of the posts in this thread.

Well, after having installed Catalyst 5.10 for my ATI Radeon 9200, the game still crashes however the VPU Recovery function of the Catalyst control panel has saved my ass and let me jump back into the game by turning my video card back on.

I have had these problems with crashing to desktop for more than a week now. I have reinstalled my computer twise, tried all kinds of different solutions.

I own an AMD 3200+ CPU, Asus GeForce 6800 GPU and 2048GB RAM and a Realtek AC97 soundcard.

I do get the best performence when I have all tha latest drivers for my system, accept for the graphics card whitch works best with 78.01, the latest from ASUS anyway.

What solved my problem was to reduce my AGP settings on the motherboard BIOS to 4x. No crashes after that, althogh I get a slight reduction in the graphics but only very minor. Even the intro movie works fine, the glitch so far is the sound in the wonder movies that stutter, but that I can live with until a patch.

I have 2 x 6600GT Sli (driver version 81.85) and have been having the same problem with freeze/lockups about 5 mins into the game. Apart from this I've had no other graphical problems.

Just before mine freezes completely I briefly see a dialogue box that mentions nv4_disp.dll. Unfortunately it's only visible for a split second so It's impossible to see the complete message.

I've spent a few hours googling around and it seems that this problem is affecting many games. The general consensus seems to be that there's a problem between nvidia card drivers and directx. My own problems began when I installed the directx 9.0c with Civ4.

I've tried re-installing directx from another source and will see if this makes any differance. I will post later if I have any success.

I've tried re-installing directx from another source and will see if this makes any differance. I will post later if I have any success.

Just played for about 4 hours and so far all is ok.

There must be something wrong between latest retail DX9 and Civ 4. I have downloaded october MS DirectX 9.0 SDK and changed undert Control Panel using debug DX drivers and to my suprise game works for almost 3 hours without problems.

With final retail DX9 drivers game does not work correctly. At least on my machine regardless of screen resolution. In 5 -10 mnuts I get corrupted screen or monitor going into stand-by mode.

Crimson Shadow said:
My GFX is Winfast A400GT-TDH (6800GT) (350 core /1000 mem). I have exact the same error message. The only difference is this screen.

Unless it resets automatically I must do it manually (hard reset or turn off).

Tried with two latest official WHQL drivers (78.01 and 81.85). With and without FSAA and AF.

The strangest thing is that only Civ 4 produces this (And FEAR demo did that 2 times). Other games work flawlessly.

Well, I will try if turning autosaves off can help. But this is some serious issue if I get a screen like that.

I have the exact same problem..

AMD64 3500+
Abit AN8 mobo
BFG 6800GT

I originally experienced it on an early beta for F.E.A.R. I thought it was an overheating issue (I was able to play uninterrupted by duct taping a vantec tornado case fan pointing directly on the video card) and went through a lengthy tech support session with BFG and almost returned the card. However, the lockups disappeared after I reformatted my system. Then lockups came back after the F.E.A.R. demo came out.. I didn't play much FEAR from there until it happened again on Civ4.

I've heard reports that it can be resolved in F.E.A.R. by disabling volumetric lighting. Doing so DID allow me to play for a couple hours uninterrupted though I haven't tested that thoroughly enough to say its a resolution. Civ4 locks up much more frequently than FEAR though.. I managed to get a couple hours playtime by turning all graphics to low but it still eventually locked up.

I'll try the Oct DirectX SDK as you did Crimson. Perhaps that will help.

Update on that Oct DirectX SDK update.

Yesterday I got for some unknown reason screen corruption even with SDK drivers. I was able to play the game for almost an hour. The only difference was that I were able to see the Civ 4 screen with "dashboad screen" over it.

Today I had no problems with 2 and half hour session.

Hi guys,

first of all: Sorry for my bad english. I'm no native speaker ;-)

I've got the same Screen like "Crimson Shadow"

I know that this thread is almost 2 years old but I've got this problem...

My System:(complete without overclocking)

C2D E6600 2x 2,4GHz
8800 GTX 768MB RAM
2GB RAM
BeQuiet!(500W) (enough Power on 12V)

Now i do not know how to solve this problem.

I'm using Civ inclusice all AddOns (Warlords and BtS)
I got this problem already with Warlords on my new system and bought the addon.
I thought that the addon maybe fixes this Problem, but it doesn't...

Is there now a proper solution for this problem?

I allready reduced my Windows Resolution from 1280*1024@85 Hz to 1024*768@85Hz, disabled the Screensaver and other energy-settings but it doesn't help.

Please help me, I don't want to play this game on my old machine...(P III, 500 MHz....)

Regards

Annnndre

I am having a similar problem, along with others.
After playing for some time, the game gets very slow, like
processing something and then goes back normal again for some
seconds.
After this start, soon the sprites disappear and only the map tiles
is visible on the screen. Then goes back normal again.
The last step of this proccess is the monitor switching to stand-by mode,
and the only solution is hard boot.

My system specs:
P4 Dual-Core, 2.8Ghz
512MB RAM, 160GB HD
GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x - 128 MB

Top Bottom