Lonely Hearts Club, BTS Edition, Chapter XI: Ramesses II

Meh, I have nothing better to do today. Checkpoint 2:

Spoiler :
Decide to run a hybrid economy of sorts. Decided to have a crack at the Pyramids - being Industrious and having stone and all. Besides, I'm Egypt! The Pyramids belong in Egypt! I'll run a few cottages here and there, build The Great Lighthouse, and then build whatever wonders I fancy in the capital. Must make Civil Service a priority too.

Turn 42: Popped Pottery from a hut. Great! The Oracle slingshot to Metal Casting is made slightly easier.
Turn 43: Memphis founded 1S of the marble.
Turn 61: Heliopolis is founded south of the capital, to claim the stone after a border pop.
Turn 64: The Oracle is finished in Thebes. Took Metal Casting as my prize for those cheap forges.
Turn 85: Elephantine founded north of the capital, on the coast. The boundries cross with Thebes, so it can help with growing cottages while Thebes builds stuff.
Turn 86: The Great Lighthouse finished in Memphis.
Turn 91: The Pyramids built in Thebes. Immediatly switch to Representation
Turn 96: Alexandria founded on the eastern coast near the Pig.
Turn 98: Founded Confucianism in Helioplois. Immediatly converted.
Turn 102: Great Prophet settled in Thebes.
Turn 108: The Colossus finished in Memphis. Hadn't planned on building it, but it came fairly cheaply. Helped a little with the economy too.
Turn 115 (1AD): Pi-Rameses founded on the western coast, to get the Pig and Horse.
Turn 118: The Parthenon complete in Thebes.
Turn 119: Switched to Organized Religion.
Turn 125: Great Library complete in Thebes. Gives the research a nice boost.
Turn 126: Popped a Great Artist in Thebes. Dissapointing - the odds were so low too (around 5%). I'll save him for a Golden Age or something.
Turn 133: Giza founded. Little town on the river, near the otters. Should provide a few more cottages.
Turn 135: Settled Great Merchant in capital.
Turn 139: Met SURYAVARMAN II. Not sure how, but he's there. He also founded Buddhism. Also of note on this turn, I missed out on The Hanging Gardens by a single turn in Thebes. I'm not too dissapointed though - I only spent a few turns building it, and I've got over 300 gold as a reward. Nice!
Turn 149: Mausoleum of Mausellos built in Thebes. Hooray for longer Golden Ages!
Turn 157 (940 AD): Optics researched. Met MANSA MUSA, who is just east of me. He's already researched Paper, and he'll beat me to the Liberalism race if I'm not careful. Might have to try and do a bit tech trading.

I left it there. I'm teching at a decent rate now, and should be able to win the Liberalism race, hopefully. Building a few Caravels to go out and find the others civs, and hopefully scope one out to declare war upon. Should that happen, I'll probably plod along towards Military Tradition after Astronomy. I also might found another coastal town on the southern point of the island to grab that Fish. I dunno, we'll see.

Here's how it's looking;

End result!
Spoiler :
Lost it by 4 turns. Mansa Musa won a cultural victory in 1921, 4 turns before my spaceship was due to arrive at Alpha Centauri. Gutted. Was agonisingly close a Diplomatic Victory too. Just could never get the final 50 or so votes I needed. So I'm dissapointed to lose this one.

I made a decision after Astronomy to leave a domination victory - trying to break onto the other continent would be too difficult for me. On the other continent, the main players at first were Mansa Musa (tech fiend) and Suryvarman, but Sury soon lost influence and fell by the wayside. In his place rose Qin (of China), who suddenly started teching like crazy in the latter part of the game. Ragnar and his Vassal - Frederick - were only minor players, and Louis had a large empire but wasn't really achievement much tech, military or culture wise.

So. I managed to keep up with and have a slight tech lead over Qin and Mansa Musa. But then, towards the end of the game, round about the time Qin and myself built the Apollo Programme, Mansa started pouring everything into culture. I was left in a really tough spot. If I built up and declared war on Mansa Musa, I'd probably lose the space race to Qin. So I tried to bribe other nations to go to war with Mansa Musa, but it didn't really achieve much. In the end, I decided to go for broke, and poured everything into getting my spaceship launched ASAP, and hope I beat Mansa to the punch. Unfortunatly - despite having 3 consecutive Mausoleum of Mausellos enhanced Golden Ages at the end - it wasn't enough, and he beat me by 4 turns.

Gah.

Monarch

My game didn't really follow this order so I put the whole in this spoiler. Note please that this is my first LHC Game.

Spoiler :
Checkpoint 3: I'm going for culture. No question there, no matter what happens.
So, I research Mysticism > Polytheism > Monotheism. I pop Mining, Masonry, later BW from huts. Thats why I turn them off in my games...
Capital Build Order: Worker > Warrior > Warrior (not sure) > Settler > Stonehenge.
Found Memphis (Marble Site) to help with the Oracle. I accidentally research Meditation before Priesthood, giving me acces to Oracle even later. I have also researched Pottery and Writing. Cap builds a Settler for one of The Big Cities, Heliopolis, near Horse, Pigs and lots of hills. Cap builds Jewish missionary before Oracle (I love Spiritual; both for diplomacy as for Religion switches. When you have no state religion, every religion present gives +1 culture, holy city +5. And I can switch out of slavery as soon as I used it (no slave revolt!!). I take Theology from Oracle (Christianity founded in Heliopolis, as planned). Missionary goes south to Fish/Stone/Copper spot and waits there. Cap builds settler -> Alexandria founded in Pig/Fish spot NE of Capital and two workers. the first heads with another to stone, the second starts prechopping. Memphis' settler founds Pig/Fish/Stone. Adopt no state (was jewish for happy cap in capital but who cares.) to help border expansion. The turn my two workers complete the road to stone, the borders expand. Alexandria grows to size two (A Big City) before CoL comes in. Every city has at least one religion present (except Alexandria of course) and except the Cap, all are size 1 (Alex is 2), so hopes are up Confucianism is founded in Alex. But no, it's founded in Heliopolis (not THAT bad).
I found a couple of cities (9 total to build 3 cathedrals/religion) and I build a couple of Wonders: Heliopolis: ToA (I didn't want that, I mixed it up with The Parthenon. :lol: I had NO hope to build this, this usually is built much earlier), Sistine Chapel, The Parthenon. Thebes: Stonehenge, Oracle, Pyramids, Great Library, Ankor Wat. That ** ToA was responsible for TWO Great Merchants I got during the game :mad: :eek: .
After the Library in Thebes has been built (rather late I think) I constantly run two Scientists. But the first GP still was a GP and the second didn't arrive in time to bulbfound Tao :mad: oh well, until here everything went according to plan, so I'm not complaining. I have four religions, Holy city is Thebes for Jewism and Hinduism and Heliopolis for Christianity and Confucianism.
From there on, it was veeeery boring. The Three big cities built eighter wonders (Thebes/Heliopolis) or Temples/Monasteries/Cathedrals while the other cities build Settlers/Workers/Temples.
In about 1000 AD, I meet QSH, that bastard. I never liked him.
I reach Liberalism late due to researching Drama, Music (got GA of course) and due to only two bulbs (Philo and part-Edu). Academy was built in Thebes.
I took Nationalism from Lib and missed the Taj. QSH built it, no doubt per GE:mad: .
First GP (Great Prophet I mean :D) was settled in Thebes. The next four built the Shrines. Apart from another GS (Academy in Alexandria), two GMs, another GP there were only GAs. the three GPs were all settled somewhere. Alexandria had three settled GAs in the end and two Culture Bombs. All GPs were produced in Thebes/Heliopolis/Alexandria.
In some shiny year, I finish SoL in Heliopolis.

Checkpoint 1: Find out I'm isolated. Find okay Happy ressources but few Health ressources and rivers don't follow my dotmap. I don't think I'll adjust my dotmap, thought. Simply can't. I need three good cities :eek:.

Checkpoint 2: Finally met ALL neighbours. Mansa, Khmerdude, Louis, Ragnar, Frederik appeared in this order. I never built ONE caravel. Should they fight themselves in peace, I don't need to feel involved. I had once a phony war with MM (+ diplo with Khmer and China). I managed a Defensive Pact with QSH. However there were several pacts and someone decided to break the scilence. MM had two guys to fight as well as Frederik. I only lost my Pact so QSH was dragged into war by one of his pacts. Stupid he. I only built a couple of Muskets, for fun (33 to be exact).

Checkpoint 4: Culture Win in 1832 AD. Two years before my othe Cultural victory. So this was only second culture game :eek: hope this stays as it is. Normalized score: 30k

Screenshot:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/125166/smitr_-_cultural_-_Lonely_Ramesses_AD-1832.CivBeyondSwordSave

Edit:
Spoiler :

I just remembered: This game was a FIRST:D:
the first game I ever got more than one quest. I love those quests. But each and every one of those three quests was stupidest: How do you want to find the holy mountain in five turns? 'cause that was about the rate I kept swapping. Or build seven stables. What for? I never even discovered HBR, I think. And what for would I build seven triremes?? the only "navy" I had was my army of workboats...
If YOU did this, r_rolo1, please tell me how:D... In my "normal" games I nearly cry when I get soooo lucky and get a quest. They're just coool

After a (quite long) period of silence, back on the track and reporting a pretty good going game.

Spoiler :

One aborted start (killed by the barbs uprising $hit), I knew that there was a huge potential for wonders in this game. I decided to optimize it and it went quite good.

Thebes was founded 1E of the starting tile, for even better production. For the first time I went for a non-CE capital - I farmed every grass/fp around, and mined every worked hill. Had a huge strike of luck somewhere around 500AD when gold popped next to Thebes.
So, I started to go wonder happy with Stonehenge.

I planted Memphis next to Marble just in time for Oracle. After the CoL traditional sling, I went for the stone spot and Pyramids. I didn't chase Great Wall - Great Spy is worthless on isolated, except for later wars.

I missed the most important wonder for me, the Angkor Wat :mad: I have 5 settled Priests and am running 2-3 more in Thebes - it would be great boost to have it. Missed also SoZ, The Great Light (went too early, I was on it), Colossus and the Sistine (went too early too).

When I met the neighbours, I figured there are one very happy hindu family... Will be a hard match, still I managed to get to Lib first (Mansa was chasing Eco while I slinged Nationalism). They are a few techs ahead - I managed to shorten the gap trading away Lib, and will try to do the same with PP once I get to it.

The situation on the Lib-year:

And the capital:

Stay tuned for more, as soon as I get back to play :D

Monarch checkpoint 4
Spoiler :
Well, this was not by best LHC , but surely was one of the most entertaining. And one of the longest too....
Spoiler :

But lets go to begining first.....

Settled on place and mounted a SSE/Religious economy.. no brainer with marble and stone in good spots for cities #2 and 3. Founded Hindu,Judaism ( this one by acident... wanted to get OR and acess to Theo for the AP... should had waited a little longer ) and Chirstianity. And a bucket load of wonders ( a small sample ):
Spoiler :

Managed to lost sistine because I forgot to research Music :wallbash: .

After the Jewish misguided founding I avoided to found any more religions, to try to patch the potential game loss condition of a one big Budha family hating the Hindu guy.... but it was too late to meaningful: Mansa became Confu ( and paid heavyly for that... ), but the rest of the Ai were in a big happy budha fest ( it was completely wacko: the civs that disliked the most had a +13 in diplo ), with a heavy hate for the infidels. I tried to give some strenght to Mansa and he was a valuable trade parter ( to say the truth the only..... ) until Raganr and Sury smashed him, forcing him to vassalize to Sury.... Him and Louis were the top dogs, with Fred and Ragnar coming in and out of vassalization... QSH "the rat" was more or less free, but being a Budha guy I couldn't trust him ( pity diplo when QSH is the best friend you can get.... )

With Mansa out of the game, I faced 2 dangers: a coordinated attack of the Budha powers ( thank god I had the AP... ) in a budha crusade and a UN win of Sury or Louis.

About the first one ,i couldn't do much, besides strenghtening myself and hope for the best. About the second, I had a very narrow path to follow: not build the UN and be #3 in pop ( both to force that the candidates would be Louis, Sury ( or QSH, if he managed to get the UN, a thing that wasn't likely ) ) and abstain in every election... but even then the thing would depend much of the small powers... If they all leaned for one of the big Budha guys, I would be toast.

I managed to get a good tech lead in military terms and started to buildup a decent rifle army. The game was tense until IT started :
Spoiler :
Small summulae of my diplo status from 1850 to the end of game

Turn 238/500 (1640 AD) [26-Jan-2008 19:26:35]
IBT:
Louis XIV(France) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)
Ragnar(Vikings) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 249/500 (1695 AD) [26-Jan-2008 19:44:03]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Louis XIV(France) have signed a peace treaty
Ragnar(Vikings) and Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 277/500 (1814 AD) [26-Jan-2008 23:19:53]
IBT:

Turn 283/500 (1826 AD) [26-Jan-2008 23:39:57]
IBT:
Suryavarman II(Khmer) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)
Frederick(Germany) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 285/500 (1830 AD) [26-Jan-2008 23:46:28]

Turn 289/500 (1838 AD) [26-Jan-2008 23:59:48]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Frederick(Germany) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 291/500 (1842 AD) [27-Jan-2008 00:04:52]
IBT:

Turn 292/500 (1844 AD) [27-Jan-2008 00:08:42]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Suryavarman II(Khmer) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 296/500 (1852 AD) [27-Jan-2008 00:24:28]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Ragnar(Vikings) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 325/500 (1905 AD) [27-Jan-2008 01:22:24]
IBT:
Mansa Musa(Mali) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)
Frederick(Germany) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 333/500 (1913 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:02:45]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Frederick(Germany) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 334/500 (1914 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:07:12]
Mansa Musa(Mali) and Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 336/500 (1916 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:10:23]
IBT:
Qin Shi Huang(China) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 340/500 (1920 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:37:57]

Turn 346/500 (1926 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:57:24]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Qin Shi Huang(China) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 376/500 (1956 AD) [28-Jan-2008 00:56:27]
IBT:

Turn 381/500 (1961 AD) [28-Jan-2008 01:08:45]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Ragnar(Vikings) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 388/500 (1968 AD) [28-Jan-2008 01:56:28]
IBT:

Turn 389/500 (1969 AD) [28-Jan-2008 01:58:14]
IBT:
Mansa Musa(Mali) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 391/500 (1971 AD) [28-Jan-2008 02:23:59]

Turn 396/500 (1976 AD) [28-Jan-2008 03:01:00]
Qin Shi Huang(China) declares war on Suryavarman II(Khmer)--- my doing
Qin Shi Huang(China) declares war on Mansa Musa(Mali)

u]Turn 399/500 (1979 AD) [28-Jan-2008 03:17:02][/u]
IBT:
Ragnar(Vikings) declares war on Mansa Musa(Mali)
Ragnar(Vikings) declares war on Suryavarman II(Khmer)--Long waited result of a series of briberies and from the exaution of Khmer power ( lots of missiles were launched by Khmer and I managed to destroy almost all of their navy and air force )

Turn 401/500 (1981 AD) [28-Jan-2008 03:29:05]
Mansa Musa(Mali) and Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 416/500 (1996 AD) [28-Jan-2008 04:00:56]
IBT:
Qin Shi Huang(China) declares war on Ragnar(Vikings)
Mansa Musa becomes a Vassal State of Qin Shi Huang

Turn 417/500 (1997 AD) [28-Jan-2008 04:02:33]
Suryavarman II(Khmer) and Ragnar(Vikings) have signed a peace treaty -- bribery... didn't wanted that Ragnar was steamrolled... not that I cared.

Short version: I was DoWed atleast once by every civ in the game.... Thank god that , besides the last war vs Louis + Sury & company ( that war was completely devastating.. French and Khmer coordinated well the attacks and in the first 2 turns of war I lost half of my navy, the southern coast of my island was completely blockaded and lost a lot of farms ( my cottage areas were inland and sury didn't reached them )... I really thinked that it could be the end ), there were no coordinated attacks, just " beat the underdog" syndrom.

In the middle of this I managed to get 3 GA and to get a few key wonders:
Spoiler :

Internet would mean the end of the Religious eco, but it was time... all the labs were done and Apollo as well

But then it came the big scare....
Spoiler :

But nothing could stop me at this point , not even the feeble last hour sury attempt on cultural....
Spoiler :

I wanted to say I enjoyed the game a lot ,in spite on not being the best one I've played here. All this siege game, with no friends around , made a interesting diference of the " musht keep quiet and launch my SS without anyone noticing" I normally do

But I wanted to comment some stuff of this game , because I made some bad mistakes, corrected by some ( possibly) good moves, and hopefully thay will help someone to play better.

First of all, the big blunder of this game: founding hindu, judaism and christianity, especially the first two. This kind of religious greed should be avoided at all cost in isolation, unless you want to go cultural ( that I didn't... I like to push the economies to the fursthest limit ( space ) in the LHC to see how robust they are in isolation ... done it with CE in the Darius one, with a scientist SE in Pericles one ( nice game btw ) and now tried a religious eco ( not really ... the lack of Music was a stupidity. Oh well .. live and learn ) ) because it restricts the avaliable religions in the outer world, making people less hairy with each other... and because I wanted to run a relifgious eco, that would mean that I would be universally hated, beyond any other hate

The measures that i took to avoid this blunder were only partially effective: letting Confu tao and Islam to be founded before ending the research of the tech, and buiding the AP ( I wanted it for the hammers, but it had the nice side effect of not being avaliable to coordinate a crusade against me ). trying to beef mansa was not effective as well ( Sury in my game already had captured the best mali cities.... mansa simply hadn't enough good land to be useful as a puppet for fire practice of the Buddha people. After the Mansa capitulation, the attacks were unavoidable....

One of the good things I done was the UN handling: I proposedely avoided founding more cities, just to be #3 in pop and not made the UN , just to fracture the budha bloc in the elections... Even there i got a big scare ( 3 lousy votes..pfhew ). Regarding the other diplo, I think that i played my few cards well, bribing Ragnar to cut deals with Sury ( that ultimately led to the Ragnar Dow to Khmer + Mali in the end ) and seezing the only time in the game where "the rat" was avaliable for a bribe....

Techwise I went well until I started the SS stuff, while the Ai went military... and I paid high that : having to fight with half dead battleships ( missile battering ) vs missile ships and having a heavy bombing of my territory with Guided missiles almost led to a disaster... had to fight hard to erase the marine threats ( I obtained air superiority, by forcing the Khmer planes to protect the ships... and after that by destroying the 2 only oil sources of the khmer..... ). Another misguided feat : I expected more wars... why start SS teching then?

As a aside ( and because it is the first time that I had to fight a modern war with a slight tech disavantadge ), I think that if properly used and in the right maps, cruise missiles can be OP..... They are cheap., don't have a direct counter ( like airships ) and they can destroy tile improvements... Against a CE it can really wreck havoc ( khmer, in the first turn of war launched 20 of them ( they had a lot more in reserve )... all the towns and mines ( and some farms ) in range went to blazes... if I was cottage spamming it would take a lot of time to recover from that blow... with a SE it is more easily recoverable...

And just ot finish, Khmer tried to use Sushi and CreateCon to get a late cultural win... It was too late , but It is always important to check the F8 screen

To end here is the save ( 1 turn before victory ). If you have a taste for soap operas, check the replay... the vassaling in/out is just hilarious

As a aside , next leader will be Hannibal of Carthage. Stay tuned :goodjob:

r_rolo1 what mod do you use. the greate people points, growth warning people have mutch monney etc.. could you ad a ling to the mod maybe?

I like missing some checkpoints ;)

Spoiler :

When I get back to the game, I was slightly behind in techs, still I got the Lib.

I traded it around asap, followed by some more trades once I got Military Tradition and Steam Power. I even traded Rifling :crazyeye:

I wasn't really fearing AI aggression. In fact, on this whole merry-brotherly continent, there was a black sheep - named Louis. So I stayed in Free Religion (no hindu missionary dropped by...), trading with everyone except Louis. I think they got too much on their own to care about a lonely guy on his island :lol:

Once I hit Rifling, my capital pumped Rifles for coastal cities. I managed to get a decent defense in two front lines toward Mali and Khmer, when Mansa decided to do the stupid thing and attacked me.
He sent two Galleons of cavalry/cannon escorted by a Frigate. Too bad I was lacking navy (only one frigate, with one more due in a turn) - anyway, my Airships has shown me the move two turns before he did it. He met ~10 rifles inside inside my city :D Then, three turns later, my ONLY war was over. (;) rolo).

Once the war was gone, I was trying to stick to the AI in eco terms. I wasn't actually best to the GNP, and I needed it badly to tech into space (had no chance against any AI in the diplo vote, well, maybe except the French). I get myself a coastal destroyer defense, several scouting Airships and was following the race while looking on my opponents.
And they were pesky. Sury was heading for cultural, at a pretty decent pace. I figured he'll hit it around 1960 - four religions, Broadway, R&R, Hollywood & Eiffel. Mansa was teching madly into space.

Three major turning points in this game:
1/ Mining Inc settled in Thebes - though minor with few ressources on hand, the denial value of this corp is huge while space racing an AI
2/ The 3 Georges Dam - same as above, and the clean power benefit for my cities was very nice as the health was crippling me like hell
I was still several techs behind when I hit the third stepstone : The Internet.
I was never a great fan of this wonder, but in this game it was the winner. I instantly got 7 techs (including Robotics), and furthermore I got Superconductors and Genetics free of charge. With this on hand, and my very nice MfG capacity, I won the space race :

It was close, and would have never been possible without the wonder rushing of Internet.
Here is Egypt one turn before victory:

All in all, a great fun and a tricky game to win with all the tundra on hand and a big patch of desert.
Worders helped a lot, as well as some 'stuff never to do' like trading Military Tradition or Rifling once you got first to it :lol:
The info screen to contrast rolo:

Will surely be looking forward for the next one.
Thanks rolo!

This one ended in a loss for me. After I failed to get the taj mahal (Louis must have rushed it with a great engineer, he had nationalism for ~2 turns before he built it), I continued teching and won the physics race. I missed the Communism race by ~3 turns (would have started a Golden age), and was able to eventually trade for democracy. I continued teching and used ragnar/Louis as a gold farm, trading them older techs for money, and got in acouple useful trades with some techs, like biology, to the others. Unfortunately, Mansa was still ahead of me in tech, and right when I was 2 turns away from Industrianalism in 1720, Qin declared war on me. His rifles killed my weak units and took Memphis- at that point I just gave up. The whole other continent was at war, and I thought that I could sneak by with virtually no military, but in the end I lost. Still and fun and exciting game, and I was surprised at how quickly the AI's were teching compared to other BtS games.

A recent discussion of the benefits of madrassas and obelisks led me to decide to use this game as a place to try out a religious/priest economy. If I understand correctly, the essence of a priest economy is:
  • Run priest specialists to generate Great Prophet points.
  • Found a religion and build its shrine with one GP for +1 :gold: per city with that religion. Spread it widely unless you've built the AP and want to try for an AP diplomatic victory. which is best if you have an ally of your religion and only one city in each other civilization with that religion.
  • Possibly use a GP to bulb religion techs like Theology (Christianity) and Divine Right (Islam); a later religion might only be useful if you have a spare GP for a 2nd shrine and expect to be able to spread that religion widely.
  • Possibly build the AP, which gives hammer benefits (can't recall the details) as well as enabling a religious victory.
  • Build the University of Sankore for +2:science: in its city per state religion building. Presumably this goes in your main science city, which might also have the Great Library and might be running science specialists.
  • Build the Spiral Minaret for +2 :gold: in its city per state religion building. Presumably this goes in your main commerce city, which might also have Wall Street.
  • Possibly build Angor Wat for +1 :hammers: in its city per priest specialist. Presumably this is only appropriate if you expect to keep running priest specialists in the late game.
  • Possibly build the Sistine Chapel for +5 :culture: in its city for each state religion building, and +2 :culture: in its city for each specialist in all cities.
This means research priorities include
  • Theology for the AP and possibly Christianity.
  • Philosophy for Angor Wat and possibly Taosm, available after CoL. It's needed for Liberalism anyway. Apparently, if you get it first the AI don't prioritize it themselves, which helps win the Liberalism race.
  • Paper for Sankore, available after Civil Service, and required for Liberalism.
  • Divine Right for the Spiral Minaret, requiring the religious techs I'd be going for anyway, plus Monarchy.
  • Music for the Sistine Chapel and the cathedrals, which count as state religion buildings for some of the wonders. The GA would be useful for a golden age.
Are there any other pieces to this strategy?

I picked Egypt for the obelisks, and Ramesses because he's IND, which makes for faster construction of all those wonders. I play at Noble, and decided to turn off barbarians.

Anyway, as of 2125 BC I've explored the island and so am ready for
Spoiler Checkpoint 1 :
I finished exploring the island a little while ago, but didn't make a dotmap until just now, after finishing my first settler.

I expect to settle Dark Blue (west) first for the marble, which I want to have online in time to boost production of the Oracle. Light Blue (south) seemed necessary for the stone, to make it even faster to build Angor Wat and the U.Sankore and possibly the Pyramids, but it's otherwise a poor site.

A scout popped a map on the eastern hut, which revealed that interesting island to the east. Red is a horrible location but is worthwhile if exploration shows the possibility of connecting up with an AI border on another continent over that way -- I recall various comments in later LHCs about r_rolo1 cleverly allowing some early ocean-spanning via such borders in "some older LHC" and I guess this is one of them! The light blue northeast of Thebes is essential at some point so its border pop can let a galley reach the island. I initially thought I should make that the 3rd city, but later wondered if I should delay for a while to build the white city first; I don't know how valuable it is to reach the other AIs earlier, and even a fairly lengthy delay would let me "cross an ocean" long before Optics.

But none of these cities looks like an especially good production centre. I wonder if white (coastal, northwest of Thebes, near pigs) would be a good one, suitable for a 3rd city or even a 2nd, pre-stone? Or, possibly 1E of there?
  • It will have +4F from the pigs, +1F*4 from farmable grasslands, and +4F from fish with a lighthouse -- total +12F. This lets it work the horses (-1F) and the -2F tundra hills (-2F*3), total -9F, net +3F. Or, it could become a GP farm and run specialists instead of working the hills -- switching back to production when it needs a new building.
  • 1E exchanges a farmable grassland for a river plains tile (a change of -2F) but lets me improve the grassland hill instead of settling on it, for -1F+2H. That's a net -3F with respect to the hill site, which means +0F total. It picks up a minable hill (-1F+3H) to the east but the bridge-to-island city is going to need that one, so White would rarely, if ever, work it.
I think this analysis means my hill site is a better GP farm and 1E is a better production city. Any advice?

Minor notes: I built Stonehenge to start on Great Prophet points and to make border expansion easier before I manage to spread around a state religion. I am currently researching Code Of Laws (enabled via Priesthood) but I may switch to Currency first, since (a) I need it eventually (b) I don't care if I miss Confucianism and (c) it apparently gives a research bonus if I have both prerequisites.

the Spiral Miranet Give +2 gold/science in the city that has the building, not the city of the wonder, so build it in you hammer city/wonder city.

Apostolic Palace, Change into a small non spread religion 1 turn BEFORE you build it, now the Apostolic Palace religion is now set to that Religion i.e. Taoism.

Switch back to your main religion now, eg Hinduism, that you've spread for the max gold effect.

Now if you want a religions victory, spread Taoism to all your cities and to 1 small population city of each of your opponents.

Now you have 80% + of the votes and the other's have MAX 20% combined. You now can vote yourself Religious victory.

Priests are strong as they give +2 hammers, +5 gold settled. Angkor Wat will give you +3 Priest specialists MUCH earlier then Ironworks become available.

Obelisk or Monument gives 2 extra Priest slots.

All the bonus per building wonders usually work the same, they give the bonus per building in city. You'll see a +2 :science: or a +2 :gold: next to the building.

Things like the Extra Scientist etc, happen where the wonder is built, as its directly related to THAT wonder. Bonus enhanced buildings wonders happen where the building is built.

The others just apply across the empire, free this, bonus that etc.

Finally the +3 :science: per library, is only for 1 city, so not that great really, if it was +3 per library empire wide, :wow:

Checkpoint 2, 2125 BC - 340 AD. Not long after meeting the AIs:
Spoiler :

Here's the mighty Egyptian empire:

As expected, that little island was significant: Mansa was the nearest neighbour, and the Red city turned out to be essential to establish a trade network. It has ridiculously bad production; I'm building a lighthouse so the sea tiles might become self-sustaining eventually, but it will take a long time. The city, Pi-Ramesses, is size 2 courtesy of the +1 population from building the Hanging Gardens in Memphis, and I've halted growth to run a 1-hammer specialist since I certainly don't want it to grow to size 3 and have nothing useful to work! Maybe I can eventually whip the lighthouse. But that's still OK; the city is valuable just for its cultural borders.

I didn't keep much in the way of notes, but can deduce a bit of the history from the names I chose for various intermediate save files. I first settled the southern light blue city (Memphis) to get stone online quickly, then dark blue near the marble (Heliopolis) and chopped the Pyramids in Heliopolis once it build its workboat, granary, and lighthouse. I then built the Oracle in Thebes and took Theology, founding Christianity in Memphis, and eventually built its shrine with the first GP. I then ran 2 scientists in Thebes and lucked out with a GS for an academy (60%, vs 40% for a second GP). Elephantine was the tundra city (white, near pigs, fish, and horses); it may eventually be a good production city or GP farm, but for now it's still working up to it. Alexandria was fourth to bridge the ocean gap. I haven't built any other cities yet because Thebes, the best whipping city, is focusing on the critical wonders and Elephantine, which may be best eventually when it gets more farms, is still building infrastructure and triremes. Memphis built the Great Lighthouse and the Hanging Gardens, is now building triremes, and will soon switch to missionaries.

I started exploring the AI continent with two scouts immediately after founding Pi-Ramesses, and this is how far I've got:

I switched to No State Religion shortly after meeting Mansa, for a diplomatic bonus, but will have to switch back to Christianity eventually for the benefits of the state religion buildings and the priest economy wonders. Discovering that many people including Mansa were Jewish, I traded several techs with Qin and Mansa, including CoL from my side. Then I gifted CoL to Surya for the diplomatic benefit, because I figured he'd get it from one of the others soon; I don't know if that was the best move, but it at least seemed plausible. So 3 of them like me:

Can't manage the same trade with Frederick: he already has it, apparently:

Christianity was my initial state religion, and since I have the shrine I expect to spread it far and wide. I also founded Confucianism, and built the AP in Thebes with that as the state religion, intending to at least attempt a religious (diplomatic) victory via the strategy IPEX described to me. I figure Christian missionary spam is called for immediately, but when do I spread Confucianism? Essen (German) got it spontaneously a short while ago. Louis and Ragnar are minority religions and I expect they'll close borders not long after I switch back to Christianity; should I send them Confucian missionaries now? I presume I proselytize Mali, China, and Khmer as late as possible to avoid spontaneous spreading to other cities of theirs.

I received the Warships quest, build 7 triremes. They're moderately useful later for blockades if I get into a war with Louis or Ragnar. I also got Horse Whisperer, 7 stables, but figure that one isn't worth the possibility of having to delay getting to the Renaissance. I'm hoping not to need mounted units at all!

So, current plans:
  • Finish Angor Wat in Thebes then build University of Sankore.
  • Switch back to Christianity after U.Sankore is built.
  • Finish 5 more triremes in Memphis and Elephantine.
  • Spam Christian missionaries everywhere, especially to France and the Vikings lest they close borders.
  • Try to win the Liberalism race and take Printing Press, which requires that I finish Machinery before too long.
  • Bulb Divine Right with the next GP, for the Spiral Minaret.
  • Start building up an army now that the AIs know how weak I am! Axes and Spears will soon be obsolete so I guess I'll need some macemen -- I turned off barbarians so I haven't needed any good defenders so far. It would be nice to trade for Feudalism with Surya, for longbows, but he won't while it's a monopoly tech.
  • Build settlers for the remaining 3 cities in Heliopolis (marble city) once it recovers from several whips; everybody else is too busy!

As the new ones aren't coming, let's play an oldie.

Immortal / Normal - Checkpoint 1
Spoiler :
Settled in place, explored a bit and saw I had stone very near. After Mining, I researched Mysticism, then Masonry. Built the 3 early stone wonders in Thebes. A while later, I saw I had marble, but ToA was built before I finished researching Poly. The AIs sure love that wonder.

Oh no!!! An uprising event!

Mwahahahaha!!!!! Almost 1000 years too late.

Missed the Music artist by one turn. Let's see if I can deny Sistine to the AIs.

And this is my land, still missing some improvement. (Blame it on the time I spent without playing). Unfortunately, I missed a fish and will not be able to use it...

Rolo, is the series over?

Not over... but you are the first person that even said something about continuing it to me :/

I will probably start one next Saturday. Not sure if I'll keep the two week peridiocity , though...

My main problem over the years has been abandoning games when they started to get "complicated". Having recently won my first Prince-level game I decided I needed a break and re-did this one at Noble after a year's gap. I'm happy to say:

An AP win, pretty much according to the plan I talked about last year, with a few glitches.
Spoiler :
I built Stonehenge and Oracle'd MC, used the resulting GP to bulb Theology (to be used as the AP religion) but missed Confucianism this time around and went for Taoism instead; I used the 2nd GP to build the Taoist shrine, and spread Taoism as far as possible.

At initial contact I switched to No Religion for the diplomatic benefit, and discovered the Jewish Block: Mansa, Sury, and Frederick. They all more or less liked each other so I felt free to trade with them, worked all of them up to Friendly, and spread Taoism far and wide. Eventually they all converted to Taoism. This set up the requisite block of "friends" who would likely vote for me. It was easy to spread Christianity (AP religion) to one city each.

The problem was Ragnar, Louis, and Qin, all of whom disliked me. Expecting trouble, I tech'd to Liberalism, minus one turn, and kept an eye on what everyone else was researching before finishing it; this let me take Steel. In order to be able to do this I made sure to direct enough espionage to be able to see what everybody was tech'ing, so BUG could tell me who was getting close; somebody else was a couple of turns from Liberalism before I finished, and I just barely beat Sury to Communism for the Great Spy and Fascism for the Great General.

I did a lot more tech trading in this game than I usually do. I've always been afraid of trading a "good" tech to the AIs, but several times I was able to get a couple of techs from different leaders and sell something to the others. Trading with Sury gave him enough of a leg up that he beat me to a couple of things, like Economics, but it wasn't a real problem.

I then built up a nice set of cannons while tech'ing to Rifling. When Ragnar declared war on me, I shipped the army to Mansa's territory, and mustered them in Angor Wat (Sury's southernmost city), building a railroad to make mustering faster. I conquered Rags' two westernmost cities; when he capitulated I kept one to use as a foothold of my own on that continent, and gifted the other back. As a vassal he readily accepted my single Christian missionary; eventually I spread enough Taoists to convert him, too.

While building a bigger army to tackle Louis, who appeared to be my equal in power at that point, I noticed Qin was willing to open borders. Not knowing how long it would be before one of my friends demanded that I close borders, I gathered several missionaries near his borders, then OB'd and sent them in, getting my one Chinese Christian city.

With Louis I tried the "caravel with missionary" trick: gift a caravel to him, hoping he'd use it as people once told me he should, but the turn after I gave him the caravel it and its missionary disappeared. I had ships watching everywhere it could have gone. No Christian city. So once again I sent in the troops. There was a tense moment when Louis conquered Rag's nearest city, and another when a huge stack moved up against one I'd captured after I'd move the main SoD out to take the next city. However, I bombed the stack with airships, and watched it suicide against my Drill II machine guns (of which I lost exactly one). When he lost enough cities he capitulated -- converting to Taoism as part of the capitulation (I hadn't spread any missionaries myself; he must have had it auto-spread to a couple of places, or else Sury or Mansa sent him a few). I spread Christianity in one city.

Shortly thereafter Fred asked to become my vassal. Without checking, I accepted -- to find myself at war with Qin. I created a colony (under Sulieman) to free up all my troops and help Fred against Qin. However, within a few turns the AP victory resolution came up, and I won -- everybody but Qin voting for me.

Spoiler status at end of game :
The known world, except for some of that island around the other side (settled by Sury):

You can see from the Power chart that I was about equal to Louis when I attacked him -- but I had cannons, riflemen, and a few infantry, whereas he had musketeers and cuirassers. Lots of them, but not enough to offset my tech advantage.

Unit statistics reveal (a) the size of my final army and (b) that I cheated spreading Taoism: not losing a single missionary because, when I did, I reloaded and waited a turn. My only excuse is this was meant to be an easy game, to recover from a hard one. Had I not cheated, there were few enough failures that I'd still have spread Taoism to the critical 3 (Mansa, Sury, Fred) but probably not enough to convert Qin and maybe not Ragnar.

I probably wonderspammed more than I should have, but it was fun to use the IND trait. Of the ones I wanted, I lost the Hagia Sophia, the Statue of Zeus, and the Pentagon. Losing SoZ meant that completing the National Sports quest I wasn't offered a free great person, which might conceivably have let me get a 3rd golden age.

Edit: I got one really nice event, which instantly grew one of my food-poorest cities to its limit:

I won diplo after conquering Loui and taking a few of ragnars cities i had friendly with mali and fred and qin shu huang. played on monarch.

Attachments

• Lonely Ramesses AD-1918 Diplo.CivBeyondSwordSave
    422.5 KB · Views: 103
Ecuwins told me to try this game. Dunno why tho.

Spoiler :
Well, that Stone city sure is at a brilliant spot.:rolleyes:
Anyways, I was hoping to exploit some Priest action, get an early Theo bulb, and win by AP Diplo, but there's no isolated civ I can abuse for this purpose. This could get tricky.

But Ramesses is the best leader for AP Diplo wins. And if I can get a mainland religion spread to me, the game is over.

Top Bottom