1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a roleplaying campaign.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by StormbringerGT, Jan 14, 2009.

1. rishubhav

rishubhav Chieftain

I'm a lurker, since I don't have the time to get involved with something like this, but considering the number of people involved and the difficulty in coordinating a play session, wouldn't it be better to just go the PBEM route?

With PBEM there's no issue with OOS, no need to coordinate play sessions, and it's easier to set up. The problem would be that with so many players it would be a rather slow pace, but OTOH if everyone could get together for "power sessions" things could move quicker...

2. StormbringerGT

StormbringerGT Chieftain

Im going to update the wonders list

As far as getting started, the sooner the better. This is going to take forever!

As far as exchanging phone numbers and emails, I think we should at least do emails. Maybe even phone numbers for quick texting. But some people may not want to, understanable, share that info.

We just need to sort out whos playing who. We are a little light on good, but it doesnt have to be even.

Also I was thinking of leaveing wonders open, but thats not the style of gameplay for this campaign. Some civs should be garunteed certain Wonders. Its knocks the balance of though, thats for sure. However if we set guidlines and agree before we play we don't have to worry that someones defenition of their civ is different from others. With certain civs having certain religions, you have a real reason to go to war, instead of building it on your own. Maybe next game we can try a more open approach.

As far as playing, I plain out suck. I build too defenisvely and slow. I do good against the AI but as far as players, not so good. Thats why I'm playing the elves, so I can watch the events of the world unfold, until I must take action.

I see where are you going NEO but it will be a bit easier doing it this way for the first play through.

As far as turn style turns we can do simultaneous. Without AI, the turns won't bog down when we get into high numbers.

3. StormbringerGT

StormbringerGT Chieftain

Aye that is always interesting, but that is pretty much a multiplayer game always goes. This one will be different. Thus the reason it requires players with a different mindset or want to play the game a little differently.

4. Methuselah

Methuselah King

Well if there's no objection, I'd like to switch from Balseraphs to Illians. Unless jacobmanring wants to play them.

I'm quite happy to give out my e-mail if people want it, or we could contact through the PM system on here?

5. mimic

mimic Magic Box

No need for phone numbers, When playing with other people the #erebus chat room or hamachi chat is very useful if something goes wrong (OOS/Someone leaves the game)
    you can just tab out of the game.

6. jacomanring

jacomanring Chieftain

...mmh...to tell the truth, I would like to! I mean, I would happily switch to Calabim but as far as I know Mimic wants to play with them...Unless we both can play with Calabim?

you know it's only that I am used to play with those civs (along with Ljosalfar-already taken) and I wouldn't like to play with a civ I've never played before in a MP!

7. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Thats all well and good, but is the Bone Palace a Doviello wonder because of its association with the warlords, an Illian wonder because the bones are (or used to be) implied to be those of Drifa, or a Kurio/Sheim wonder because of their Dragon Cults, or one of the engineering/stoneworking inclined civs who did the marble exterior, or exclusively available to whichever civ has the Dragon Bones unique feature?

Edit: Or is it maybe a cunning plan of Cassiel's who as a former archangel is intimately familiar with the properties of dragons and probably finds it pleasing to repurpose a tool of the Gods as a magical defense of the city.

8. westamastaflash

westamastaflash Lord Commander

If someone could run PitBoss to host the game that'd be great, then we could set up times for everyone to be on for an hour or so one a week, say, then it should work out...

My Good Bannor plan on founding the order and then engaging in a righteous crusade to spread the great law of Junil to the heathens.

9. StormbringerGT

StormbringerGT Chieftain

I rolled a 1d6 and it came up that it belonged to the Doviello

I gotta ask, whats a pitboss game?

10. jacomanring

jacomanring Chieftain

yes, what's a pitboss game???

11. Dux_

Dux_ Warlord

Setting a Pitboss game would make far more sense, since we're so many players. We could also do weekend gatherings to play, but during the week we can have each play a turn every 24 hours, that way the game would go somewhat smoothly.

12. Methuselah

Methuselah King

Multiple leaders per civ means more than one person can play that civ.

I mean, I'm happy to play as the Balseraphs, I just think I'd probably be bad at roleplaying Perpentach.

13. jacomanring

jacomanring Chieftain

I chose the Ilians cause no one wanted to play with at that time, unlike Calabim...I thought it would be better to have each a different civ though there are multiple leaders...Methuselah, if you want to play with Ilians, do it. I will play the remaining Calabim leader...actually it's better for me too..

14. rishubhav

rishubhav Chieftain

Actually, if you guys do end up doing a Pitboss game, count me in as any Good Civ (if there's space of course)

15. phoulishwan

phoulishwan Warlord

Just waiting for final verdict on times ;) Today is my last workday for 10 days, so just say when and I'll be there. Dunno much about MP though, so please be patient with me!

16. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

17. Morni

Morni Warlord

So today I decided to sit down and try a few plays with the Erebus mapscript to get familiar with it, and I came to the conclusion that I'll have to drop out of this.
    Now, I know the goal isn't to win, but I quite simply cannot imagine myself having any fun playing on any of the 10 maps that script gave me. Even when I actually did get a half-decent starting location, there were still a bunch of civs with so terrible starting locations, they didn't stand a chance. That's no fun.

18. jacomanring

jacomanring Chieftain

to tell the truth, I don't like Erebus map type as well...But, anyway, I will give it another chance. If only to play a true MP game!

19. chuckgilla138

chuckgilla138 Chieftain

Sorry can't play. I just stepped into Orbis ModMod. I'mma be busy for awhile:)

20. rishubhav

rishubhav Chieftain

Xienwolf, did you mean Pitboss instead of PBEM? I don't know why PBEM wouldn't work, since there shouldn't be any OOS/Lobby issues