Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

I would hazard a guess that with the coming pass at rebalancing all the civs means our work here is "Done". I don't like that...but it is my GUESS given the history of past such "final" all-encompassing balancing adjustments. My thought is that newer game mechanics such as those found in humankind have probably opened up directional developer conversations to the point of "let's just start work on 7."

"we hope you continue to follow us on social media to keep up to date on all the latest in the Civilization franchise." (Last update video)
+
"Let's focus on balances right now."
+
"We don't have any concrete plans for the future right now."

To me this might mean they are working on another project, but not Civ 7. They leave the door open for future Civ 6 content, but that's not their focus. I don't think that door could be left open if it were Civ 7.

Potential scene at FXS-2K offices:
"OK, now is time to stop for a while, look to how messy have we left the code after all these continuous updates, wait a bit to see what are these chaps at Amplitude are really doing... then we decide if we can continue with Civ 6 or need to start thinking on Civ 7."

If you are a Civilization's Dev..... so, yes I am XD
Adding civs and leaders with uu and ui isn't that much of a challenge. The real dare is to make all of them distinct and simultaneously interconnected and not gimmicky. Thought process on those gameplay aspects can take as much time as creating them from a ready spreadsheet.

I'm personally sticking with expecting nothing else, while hoping I'm wrong. I'll certainly buy another expansion, season pass, or set of DLCs. If not, that's lame, but I get it.

I only have one thing to say, and I’ll say it before @Gedemon says it.....
“dll?”

There hasn’t been any relationship with the end of the game development cycle and the release of the dll historically speaking. Civ 4 DLL came out the same year the game was released IIRC and civ 5 DLL came out before BNW.

I only have one thing to say, and I’ll say it before @Gedemon says it.....
“dll?”
It's because I'm trying to avoid mentioning it more than once per day.

I'm afraid it would be too late to have a big effect on the community, but personally I'll welcome it anyway.

I think the reference to April being the Final Update is just meaning it’s the final update for NFP. The other comments about the future are fairly anodyne. FXS aren’t saying yes or no to more content, and of course they wouldn’t.

Will we get more content after April? Well, I really hope so, but it’s hard to say, isn’t it?

Reasons to be pessimistic. The big reason is just, for each year that passes, it’s of course less likely FXS keep adding to the game, whether because they feel the game won’t bear more content or they need to work on other properties or the returns aren’t there any more. That’s just maths. Including Portugal also feels a bit final too, as does a big balance pass in the April update. And while I don’t think FXS have said anything definitive either way, compared to what FXS have recently said about NFP, FXS’s tone after GS was perhaps a bit more positive - a little more explicitly “we’re not done yet”.

Reasons to be positive. Well, I’ve said all this before. There’s still content missing that one would otherwise expect Civ 6 would have based on past games, player feedback and what seem like deliberate gaps in the game (everything from unit gaps / trebuchets to reformation beliefs and ambassador spies to ideologies and more governors). There are Civs left that I think would still be strong draws for players even if they aren’t a big as Portugal, eg Austria, Italy / Venice, Morocco, Hittites. And lastly just the fact NFP seems to have been a roaring success and was itself clearly a test model for a way to deliver additional content over the long term. Seriously, why create a model for delivering more content to Civ 6, and then have that model be a success, and then... not deliver any more content with said model?

I really don’t know if we get more content. I think it’s 50:50 either way - maybe a bit less than 50:50, or perhaps I’m just saying that to manage my own expectations. I think a full expansion is off the cards just because NFP worked so well. For the same reason, I think another season pass could happen, and nothing I’ve read rules that out just yet. But FXS could also do something smaller “Legacy Pack” with a few game modes, some maybe focused on fan-service content like Corporations and Barbs did, some gap filling and a few final Civs and Alt leaders. I’d be disappointed if FXS do just stop here. I think Civ 6 is still short of the best version of itself - the lack of Ideologies and the lack of end game content are real misses in an otherwise fantastic game. But it’s not something I’ve got any control over, and there’s really very little confirmation either way, so all I can do is just cross my fingers and in the meantime play what I have (which is still lots of fun).

Last edited:
Personally, I feel 50 civs is enough but I'd like to see more leaders or even personality pack(s). Alternate/shared leaders has (had?) so much potential

Dipping their toes into the Paradox model. I'm curious to see if VII sticks with it or if they go back to the old Civ model of two or three Xpacs and move on.

I still think it's cheaper to buy Civ VI complete than CKII or EUIV completely.
At frustrating as the Paradox model can be at times, I do appreciate the work they did on CK2 essentially up until the release of CK3

There really is a tonne of stuff FXS can do with Civ 6 - lots of “low hanging fruit”, i.e. stuff that would be popular and fairly easy to add especially as Game Modes.

Here’s a list of examples I’ve posted before.

1. Ideological Pressure. We have all the building blocks for Civ B style Ideological Pressure - eg ideologies, tourism, loyalty, amenities / happiness. They could also fold in stuff like Governors, World Congress, Dark / Golden Ages. Seems like a really easy one to do that would be pretty popular.
  2. Late Game Governors. The existing Govenors basically mirror Civ B Social Policies. It would be pretty easy for FXS to add late game governors that mirror Civ V Ideological Tenets. And FXS have clearly thought about what else they can do with Governors and Governor titles given Secret Societies.
  3. Spies. Surely there’s at least one game mode that could be done around Spies. Civ V also had the ability to send Spies as Ambassadors, which FXS haven’t touched yet. Maybe there’s room to revisit spying on allies with maybe some ally focused spy / ambassador spy missions?
  4. Religion. Surely there is at least one game mode around Religion. Civ B also had another tier of beliefs called Reformation Beliefs, which FXS haven’t touched yet.
  5. Plagues and Health. I hear Pandemic is a pretty popular Board Game. Surely there is at least one game mode around Plagues.
  6. Sci-Fi. NFP kinda hit all the obvious fantasy genre tropes. But FXS haven’t touched Sci-Fi, and they have a whole Future Tech Tree, and two Sci-Fi Franchises (XCOM and Beyond Earth) to draw on.
  7. Colonialism. We got a Diplomatic Quarter. What’s the chances at some point we get a Colonial District you can only build of foreign continents. How about some Governors you can only place on foreign continents.
  8. War. Surely there’s a game mode to be had around global war. I mean, there’s at least some room for some more units in the tech tree. Trebuchets, Longswordsmen and Riflemen anyone?
  9. Wonders. At some point, do we think maybe FXS might make it so there is a pool of World Wonders, and only some of them are available randomnly each game? Or maybe Wonders limited to certain Ideological Governments?
  10. Economic Victory. Surely adding an economic victory is an easy win. I think there are people that would buy a dlc with just that if you let them. Just ask Reddit.

To that list, you could also add Alt Leaders and a few Civs like Austria etc. pulled from previous games and of course more outre stuff like we’ve already seen in NFP.

I don’t know if we’ll get more stuff. Maybe FXS are done. But if they are done, that really just seems crazy to me when there really is so much room left in the game (particularly given content can be dropped in via Game Modes), there’s so much fan-popular stuff left they can do, the game is on so many platforms, and NFP has clearly been such a huge huge success.

Personally, I feel 50 civs is enough but I'd like to see more leaders or even personality pack(s). Alternate/shared leaders has (had?) so much potential
enough of Europeans civs. Just missing a few. But if we look Native Americans and Africans. Civ 6 still less representative than Civ 5. I think need at least more one season of Civs comming to at least the game be better than Civ 5

enough of Europeans civs. Just missing a few. But if we look Native Americans and Africans. Civ 6 still less representative than Civ 5. I think need at least more one season of Civs comming to at least the game be better than Civ 5

Are you sure about that?

Civ V Africa: Egypt, Ethiopia, Morocco, Songhai, Zulu
Civ VI Africa: Egypt, Ethiopia, Kongo, Mali, Nubia, Zulu

Civ V Americas: Aztec, Inca, Iroquois, Maya, Shoshone
Civ VI Americas: Aztec, Cree, Inca, Mapuche, Maya

Those lists look even to me. Or do you not count South American native cultures as "Native American"? Even so, it's basically equal.

Edit: Removed Carthage and Phoenicia, added Nubia!

Last edited:
Top Bottom