1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by pokiehl, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

To me this is the critical point, I fully expect NFP Season 2 as commercially that's the only thing that makes sense.

2. tzu

tzu Chieftain

History is overvalued. Growth of platform capacity and balance sheet are mandatory. Future civilizations will incorporate all necessary modes naturally.
    Wildlife mods are expendable. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

3. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

:think: Just received this email Monday... :lol: ;)

Spoiler :

4. Mount Suribachi

Mount Suribachi Prince

XCOM 3? :scan:

5. HiRezAudio

HiRezAudio Prince

Exactly so.
    It's the 12th update in the 12 months of the NFP.

6. Buktu

Buktu Prince

Mabye a little break (maybe a few little patches to fix some bugs) after the april patch before they start a season 2 in summer/atumn for another year. After season 2 they will have around a year left to fix the last bugs before they can release Civ 7 in autumn 2023 - 7 years after the released Civ 6. Sounds quite good for me.

Haig and Noble Zarkon like this.
  7. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

Would be nice (also trebuchet), but the game needs to be slowed down a lot to accommodate them.

Jkchart and the_sun like this.
  8. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Warlord

Civilization VI Game Update - December 2020
    See the naming of all the free update videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-lTq9LJCHpRSLjKfPuh5EJuHdysI1a8U
    • Civilization VI Game Update - December 2020
    • Civilization VI Game Update - Oktober 2020
    • Civilization VI Game Update - August 2020
    • etc

And here Kevin says it around 0:14: here. It is also used in the same way in other videos.

It seems very much to be a term they use for the free NFP patches.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    679x and Noble Zarkon like this.
  9. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

I mean yeah, they’re ALL game updates. The updates from before NFP are called that too.

Time will tell!

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  10. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I don't think there's anything like that at all. Humankind may very well have the effect of influencing certain Civ VII elements, but that's just the natural process of being a game in the same genre. Good ideas are copied.

OpenDevs are boring, imo. They're isolated experiences which do not allow for immersion, and therefore a huge part of enjoying a 4x in the first place. I don't think they are useful as a measure of how much one will enjoy the game upon release. It's the interaction with the process of creation of the game which is the fun part of OpenDevs.

I'd gladly test isolated scenarios for Civ 7, but that's because being part of a community which may have a small (or not so small, considering Tamar and NFP) impact on the final product sounds exciting. By themselves, test scenarios are a chore.

I don't fully expect it, but I think it's likely we'll get more DLC. They've revealed some important things recently. Especially, it seems we've been wrong in assuming their plans are well planned and thought-out in advance. This doesn't seem to be the case, at least not as strictly as we often make it out to be. They've admitted to not even having the Barbarian mode planned, and that they only decided to switch focus to more modes rather than scenarios because the former were proving more popular than the latter. So they were adapting and changing NFP as NFP was being created.

Like I've said before, if in April they do not, conclusively, close the door of Civ 6, to me that strongly signals Civ 7 is not their priority atm. This interview also seems to suggest that. They're focused on something else (which Deliverator and Laurana seem to confirm above). It's because that something else is not Civ 7 that Civ 6 future can be left undecided.

Or, you know, I'm talking out of my ***. Last time I made a prediction, it was how Grant Chang's drinking peculiarly from a mug meant we were getting the Inuit Civ. That didn't happen
    ---

Edit: Oh and, we'll see what they name their new bundle (assuming there's one). I expect Diamond Edition or some similar name rather than Definitive Edition.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  11. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

The source on that is not us but this interview with the 2K President David Ismailer:
    That sounds like they set the goal for Firaxis in 2018 of developing a third big franchise.

12. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

If this is the end, that is fine with me. I've sunk about 2,000 hours into Civ VI and absolutely love it. It's received more support than most games and I will continue to enjoy what has been made for it. I am ready for Civ VII or, fingers crossed, Beyond Earth 2. I would love to see the Civ VI systems extend into a BE setting.

If this is not the end, I look forward to whatever new content they release.

Either way, it's a win to me.

13. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hellenism Salesman and Nerevatar like this.
  14. Noble Zarkon

Same here, 2500 hours but only 3 proper wins at Emperor (lots at Prince/King and a few at higher levels gaming the system for achievements lol), I've cleared out my personal Hall of Fame and I'm aiming now to fill it with Emperor victories :)

15. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

Now you know why they were testing New Frontier Pass and how Civ VII development will probably look like ;)

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  16. konokoni

konokoni Chieftain

It's funny that we now have a couple of official statements from the dev team, but still no concrete indication of which way things will go. I guess we'll know when we know... I hope they commit soon either way so I can stop thinking about it. :)

I'd gladly pay for another year of patches / balance / AI & UI improvements, even if the pack didn't come with new civs & game modes. However, I think I'm in the minority on this point when considering the player base as a whole. I am guessing it's the civs that generally generate DLC sales for the "average" player.

acluewithout and Starina like this.
  17. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

They want civ players to have more engagement for longer?

Have they no mercy?

18. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

Including a clock in the UI has probably saved lives, mine included

I think Civ6 had a incredible amount of content and frankly we don’t need any more. Some fixes and patches and polish would make this the #1 Civ title for me

19. Zegangani

Zegangani Prince

I think Civ VI has reached its End, regarding new Content. If it isn't, then why would the Devs make a huge Balance Patch at the end of NFP, if they had Plans for more Content that would make the Game need another big Balance Patch? That would be just unnecessary work.
    But we might still get some free Game Updates later on, to fix the Bugs that will come with "the biggest community Event" and the Zombie Mode (not very likely that it will get bug fixes in the April patch). Although I'm not expecting to get AI or UI improvements in those, but Bug Fixes and maybe some few Balance fixes.

So for now, One can only speculate what the April Patch might change and bring (Fun Surprises?!). I tend to think that the "Some New Fun Surprises" might be either:
    - Some few free Alt Leaders/Personas (It would be New and a real Surprise).
    - Some changes to existing Mechanics (WC, CSs...etc). But that wouldn't count as "New", and not really a Surprise, since Fans are anticipating this for Years now, so...
    - Or, what I would love to see, some existing Mechanisms revised to be togglable On-n-Off like the Modes. Not really "New", but that would be a real Surprise and would make a lot of People Happy.
    Although I would love to get one final Mode ala Barbarian Clans or C&M, the wording of Anton at the end of the LiveStream don't give much hope for that.

Anyway, at this Time, I just want some AI improvements and Bug Fixes. Any new Content would mean the opposite.

20. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

Welcome into the KPI driven world ;)

Mount Suribachi likes this.