1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by pokiehl, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

I have seen so many games that did NOT live to their hype. So I've learned NOT to get on the hype train. I will judge the game when it comes out.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  2. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

Why not take the district mechanic to it’s logical conclusion, and have farming districts, mining districts, lumber mills etc.

Then have various buildings/upgrades

Obviously a bit of a rework to the pop limits

This would cut out SO MUCH MICROMANAGEMENT

I mean why not both?

Myomoto and 8housesofelixir like this.
  3. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Because the game already has a bunch of systems that could use some work and I'd rather see those systems improved than have new ones added. But I'm always up for more leaders and civilizations!

4. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Warlord

Perhaps, I misread it then. However I do agree with better combat system, I hope for better AI (simplified district system and movable armies on map and not 1upt) which is gonna be fully moddable (that's what Aplitude states).

5. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Yeah, but like I said, don't get your hopes up on the better AI thing. Previous Amplitude games have had pretty bad AI. Like, AI so bad that you had to turn down the difficulty of barbarians so that the AI could stay alive.

6. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

I’m certainly not telling anyone they shouldn’t look forward to it!

The OpenDevs are precisely why I lost my hype. I was very excited before. But after playing, I was really turned off by the UI, combat, and the really off pacing of the gameplay loop. And the more I looked at the graphics, the more I disliked that weird yellow tint all the terrain has. However I hope it ends up as a good game because I like playing good games!

I’m just saying this: there is a really vocal minority here who think Humankind is going to be God’s gift to 4x games and destroy the Civilization series with its success. It comes off as a really puerile sense of eagerness (hence my Calvin and Hobbes reference). I think it stems from bitter fans wanting Firaxis to be “punished” because Civ moved away from what they wanted. The problem is their hype isn’t measured at all - it’s just unrealistic and off the charts. Sometimes I wonder if these people played the same OpenDevs I did. And as @Kwami said, Amplitude is not an unknown quantity. I’m pretty lukewarm on their other games so that also factors into my expectations for Humankind.

It would benefit these people to take a step back and temper their expectations for the game. Not because I think amplitude is incompetent or that Humankind has no potential, but just because it’s impossible for any game to be as good as they’re hoping it will be.

7. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

Cyberpunk failed not due to hype but due to being a shoddily coded disaster that was “buggier than a bug bugging out in a dune buggy”

Who knew that working people half to death results in them making more mistakes?

Again, why not...triadth? Threeth?

8. Kwami

Kwami Deity

@pokiehl: It's always like that. I used to play WoW before I stopped playing multi-player games and every few months there was an MMO that was going to totally destroy WoW because it was so much better in every way. Well, WoW is still going strong with millions of players, so...

I do hope that Humankind is good. I've played and enjoyed every other Amplitude game so far. But, yeah, the hype is just getting silly. Better to be realistic about what the game will be.

Limited resources. See your own comment about working people to death. :)

9. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

This is turning into a Humankind vs. Civ 6 thread yet again, so let's get back on topic before this turns into yet another needless debate, shall we? :p

I'll start: Apparently the patch notes are 50% longer than the first NFP Patch Notes, according to research by @Menocchio. That means a lot of stuff has been added to the patch. And those May Patch Notes are very long.

Zegangani, Menocchio and TreVor_ish like this.
  10. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

lol fair

11. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Warlord

Well, there is a modding section in Maya&Gran Colombia Pack, perhaps there will be one in April's. (not that it would indicate it, just hoping for one)

Also with so many changes to Civs, it's only logical that amount of notes should be significant.

12. Menocchio

Menocchio Warlord

To add further context, most "new civilisation spotlight" sections in the update notes tend to be around 200 words. Gran Colombia's is anomalous because of the big section on their unique Great People. However, the section on Gran Colombia's balance changes from the October 2020 patch was only 36 words. When it comes to civilisation balance changes, the update notes seem to tend towards being quite short, for example "Drop Hacienda to .5 Housing." One change, 5 words.

Individual unit introductions (like for unique units) tend to be 20-30 words, and we can expect 3 of those. New map introductions take 10-20 words each, and we will be getting 2 of those. So, of the 3,792 words in the upcoming update, unless there is some super secret big new stuff yet to be revealed, only about 100 or so words are used for new units and maps. One would assume that, if a new gameplay mode were coming, they would have advertised it in the preview from Tuesday as they did with the maps and units. Reasonably enough we can assume that the remaining roughly 3,700 words are being used largely for balance changes, in addition to UI, AI, modding, and miscellaneous changes, as well as bug and crash fixes.

In other words, previous updates suggest that there is a lot more that can be fit into that remaining space not covered by units and maps. As a test, I tried typing out the announced civilisation balance changes from the video, and reached a total of 400 words, so the official notes for those will probably be somewhat higher or lower but close enough. That leaves 3,300 words for the other changes, and consider that the changes in the video were mostly quite significant ones.

I hope this gives people a better sense of how large this update ought to be. I know some of you are worrying how much exactly will change, and whether or not certain civilisations will see any changes. From doing these calculations, I feel confident in dispelling the notion that this update will only contain extremely minor balance changes. Even if every single civilisation (including the ones from the video) received changes comparable to Gran Colombia in October, the changes would only come up to 1,800 words.

sonicmyst, Kjimmet, bbbt and 4 others like this.
  13. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

They know that, that's why they plan to release ASAP one of the thing missing for civ6 long term support, the code for the AI DLL.

bbbt and Hellenism Salesman like this.
  14. Abaxial

Abaxial King

But Civ 7 has to do something really differently, or it won't be Civ 7, just a heavily modded Civ 6.

Sherlock, 8housesofelixir and PiR like this.
  15. Kwami

Kwami Deity

I'm sure that they'll think of something.

PiR likes this.
  16. Abaxial

Abaxial King

I've already suggested some possibilities. The point is that Civ 7 will be have to be to some degree unfamiliar..

17. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I would be fine if the focus of CiVII was simply trying to reproduce the best of V and VI in an engine that the AI can play well.

18. Linklite

Linklite King

Same. Basically redo 6 with it's features that it has but reworked to make it more coherent, perhaps trimming some of the fat plus an AI that actually works, and I think they're most of the way there. Add an economic Victory. 6 seemed to be an experiment of ideas to springboard 7 more than anything.

j51, Zegangani and PiR like this.
  19. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

unfortunately the AI is very low on the priority list of companies. Better graphics , smoother animations , higher fps , good music , playability on low end computers are all much much higher and none of these are cheap so in the end the poor AI part of the game just gets the left overs , time and dev wise.

PiR likes this.
  20. tzu

tzu Chieftain

If desired, developers could support the cooperation with the community in order to ponderably improve AI players even up to a symbiotic relationship ...

Right now for civ6 we see not even coexistence, since without AI DLL source files there is No existence for community improved AI players.

I would love to feed back "You are the best developers in gaming."

Civ6 is a beautiful game and it is a good game.

Civ4 is for me a great game, not only but also because Søren Johnson wanted able players to strengthen the game's AI and create significant modifications / total overhaul projects.

Pfeffersack, PiR and j51 like this.