1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by pokiehl, Mar 24, 2021.

1. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

You think so? I would imagine any plans for near term future content (if they have any) are already down on paper given the long lead time to create new content.

Elhoim likes this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I bet they have plans. What they are waiting for is approval to actually make it.

Haig, tedhebert, acluewithout and 3 others like this.
  3. Killer Rabbit

Killer Rabbit Chieftain

Hopefully we get a clear signal either way sometime in the not too distant future. I'd love to see a second pass. I think NFP's been a huge success, and I love seeing the Civ team run wild with these fun ideas. But it does seem like they're wrapping up.

Incidentally, I still wonder if NFP might have been better as a full-scale third expansion, along the lines of what @acluewithout was always suggesting, as then all the systems could have interacted more cleanly. (And then to have had a pass with modes after the 3XP...) But I think it's been a success nonetheless. And I can definitely say that the pass model increased my engagement with the game as the content was released.

If Civ VI really is done, I'd like to see another spinoff. I never picked up BE because the press was so bad, but an Age of Mythology type game would be super fun. (I feel like I saw it suggested here, or maybe I'm misremembering.)

A spinoff would also allow for more time to breathe before an eventual Civ VII. I don't know how they could even start on a Civ VII right now as VI is so fully-featured that it will be very hard to go back to a base game. I think the revamp gets harder every time. There need to be radical changes to make a Civ VII worthwhile, in my opinion.

Lugh, acluewithout and tsf4 like this.
  4. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I think this. I don’t know, but it doesn’t really feel like Civ VI is done and something is cooking. Another season pass, or some sort of “legacy dlc” that hits a few notes from prior games.

I don’t get the feeling that the Firaxis guys are bored by Civ VI yet, and that must help. Civ VI is the civiest-civ that ever cived, and that must be fun to work on at some level.

5. ManoftheHour333

ManoftheHour333 Warlord

If anything, this balance patch has actually changed my opinion that more stuff must be coming along the way. Even if it's another balance patch or a couple more mini-civs, so many of their choices of buffs and nerfs are just baffling...unless there are going to be new systems to even things out a bit. Or at least spice things up a little more to give the civs that were seemingly shafted (Egypt, Scotland, etc.) something to make people want to play them. It's just weird...

Since they haven't said anything yet and I do think we're too far away for Civ VII yet (I'm thinking 2023 at this point), I could totally see them adding another season pass full of updates and potentially more content. Maybe they'd announce this around the time of the Civilization series anniversary this fall. I'd much rather see another season of "meh" content that balances things out that they can produce for cheaper than a huge Civ VII that's half-baked and is going to be relentlessly compared to Humankind, CK II, and even Civ VI. Just my thoughts.

fatalitod and slavaskii like this.
  6. Buktu

Buktu Prince

You are most likely right but since this whole thread speculation I wanted to share it anyway.

7. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

I've had similar thoughts. The rebalance doesn't seem like it is a final cap polishing everything off - they missed several obvious tweaks. Maybe it means nothing, but I wonder if they're going to do more content, and that's why Scotland wasn't buffed, for example - the new content requires specific buffs for it, but doing it now would give the game away, so they left it.

Pure speculation, of course. I could easily be wrong.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  8. Buktu

Buktu Prince

A Robert the Bruce persona pack maybe? Combined with an alternate leader and a slight rework for egypt :mischief:

9. PiR

PiR King Supporter

The same here, but I struggle to understand what's the point for a video game company? As long as the NFP sells, what does it matter whether player are engaged or not? If someone could enlighten me :)

10. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt King

So? If nitre or whatever pops up under a disrict or wonder right now what happens?

Oh that’s right, you basically get a “stealth” mine that produces it.

So the problem is???

11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Farm district?!? No thanks.

12. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

Does the "stealth mine" actually give you the other yields as well like production? Or do you just get the resource?

13. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

I'm wondering if that's what they're going to do, a bunch of alts or persona packs? Perhaps Teddy and Cathy were them dipping their toes into the water, as it were. Not sure how I feel about that, though.

14. tsf4

tsf4 Warlord

Pretty sure you just get the resource.

Linklite likes this.
  15. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I think we've seen the last of the big full scale expansion packs. From everything that has been said it has been a great success - commercially and in smoothing out workoads for the whole team (not just coders but graphical / marketing etc).

Engagement means more people talking about your product, more streamers playing it etc which all, presumably, translates not just into sales but positive feelings about the game - if you are more casual than us fanatics and have ended up playing more Civ VI every time a new update has come out you will likely feel you got your moneys worth and are are more likely to buy the next season pass / version etc.

Buktu and PiR like this.
  16. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Never in my life have I ever seen a "notarised legal document". I'm talking about ordinary communication between normal people. Perhaps in your neck of the woods it's different?

17. Kwami

Kwami Deity

It was great for the streamers, too. Everyone tuned in for the new patches and leaders. Overall, it's a pretty good model with one major, major flaw. It's the same flaw that ruins Paradox DLCs: each DLC can't assume that you own any of the previous DLCs. So, the systems don't work together, the leaders don't take advantage of the new "modes", etc. It all feels too disjointed.

This is why expansions used to include the rules from the previous expansions!

I don't know how to fix this problem, but if there's a good solution, then I wouldn't at all mind moving to monthly or bi-monthly releases instead of annual expansions.

18. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

The only way I can think of is to make all the packs mandatory, a la Breath of the Wild. You can only buy the entire pack, but they are still released in packs. Still, each segment would have to be playable without future content, which would create much more work for the devs. It's a tradeoff.

Buktu and PiR like this.
  19. CromulentRomulan

CromulentRomulan Chieftain

tedhebert and Zaarin like this.
  20. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Warlord

thank God