1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Unreleased Mods' started by ispanets, Oct 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Ewok-Bacon-Bits Chieftain

For the third age scenario we will have no city states as I would prefer everything be playable, the 18 civs we decided partly based upon how unique they were from each other in terms of positioning, objectives and other things (this is for the scenario). But they are:

Gondor, Rohan, Mordor, Gundabad (/Orcs of the Misty Mountains), Lothlorien, the Noldor (Lindon and Imladris), Woodland Realm, Harad, Rhun, Khand, Umbar, Dale, Erebor, Dwarves of Ered Luin, Dunland, Beornings, Isengard and the Lost Realm of Arnor (Dunedain, they have no leader at the start).

I don't know if we will have our own natural wonders unless someone is willing to model them but for now we have renamed/new yields for wonders. For Gorgoroth, Mordor gains special yields from Mordor terrain only available there (which is tundra renamed and reyielded), we might be able to create custom texture for that in the future.

And feel free to ask as many questions as you want!

2. Sauron The Great

Sauron The Great Chieftain

Here's a thing that came to mind ... City names. If I was to found 3 cities as say, Isengard, what would they be called? Obviously Isengard is the capital, but then what else? There's Orthanc, but that's just the tower itself. Then, there's little else for city names.
    2. Is the map going to be of the one that is detailed in the back of the book (or wherever it may be in your copy, I have that massive book that contains all three) or is it going to contain full Rhun, Khand, and Harad, even if that leaves much of those lands up to conjecture?
    3. Are there going to be special units for each civ? Special buildings, tile improvements, etc?
    That's all I've thought of for now.

Edit: just noticed that the Isengard lore tree looks a heck of a lot like a HOI 4 focus tree, are they intended to work like that?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

1. In the scenario you won't be able to found cities, Isengard will start with one city Isengard but they have access to additional card slots and districts per city through their lore and bonuses. So it is a super city if you will. As for Isengard cities outside of the scenario, ispanets gathered a collection of cities from other sources, which aren't from the books but they have the sounding of orc camps/cities, Treforn, Arailt, Lag-sharak too name a few.

2. I put a screenshot of the map hopefully that answers your question you can see it all in the bottom left corner. But ya a lot of city names and such will be conjecture. It also has some of the buildings and districts.

Spoiler :
    MapExample.png

3. Each civ has their own completely unique unit set. There are a bunch of new buildings each civ has access to some and not too others. They're aren't any unique improvements.

4. Ya thats where I got the idea from, so ya that is how it is suppose to work for the scenario.

4. Sauron The Great

couple of quick things (sorry if my constant question posts are annoying)
    1. How long in-game is each turn?
    2. I love the idea of tile-wide rivers, it really does help the sense that the Anduin, Baranduin/Brandywine, Celduin and other large rivers are wider that small streams or smaller rivers. It also allows naval units to move upstream.
    3. The gulf of Lhun seems to be much further south than it should be, is this for space purposes?

Edit: What is the exact size of the map?

5. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

No problem questions are great :)

For the scenario each turn will be about a day most likely to fit within the time line, I know production wise this may not be realistic but for the sake of gameplay it wont take several months to train a unit but rather a few days. The scenario will start in Early September possibly later like late July when Boromir left for Imladris, the game length will depend on the Ring Counter but the goal will be an average game being around 210 turns~, the ring counter will start in Late December so it is also possible that at first it will be days then into half-days because I would like the counter too last for 140~ turns. A lot of this will have to do with testing along with lore and culture costs.

As for Lhun that wasn't the intended purpose though we do want to have room for the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains, so that may change because it is south a bit.

The size of the map is 137x99.

6. Sauron The Great

1. What Middle-Earth features are going to be wonders?
    2. What exactly is a ring counter?
    3. Was a width of 137 an intentional reference?
    4. Where are the nation colors going to come from, or are they going to just be chosen from what seems best?
    5. Are the leagues going to count as alliances? And if so, will allies share visibility?
    6. What tech level is it using? (medieval, classical, etc)
    7. Are single characters like Frodo and Aragorn going to be units?
    8. What are the victory conditions?

P.S. that's probably more questions than most posts will contain, a lot of stuff came to mind just now

7. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

1. For world wonders none but that might change.
    2. For a rather simplistic explaination, The ring counter represents the ring being brought to Mordor it goes down by 1 each turn until it reaches 10. Both sides can complete quests by increasing or decreasing the counter, so once it reaches 10 the Free Peoples have to complete quests to end it. If the ring counter reaches 0 then they win. At 10 Mordor also has the opportunity to win by increasing the ring counter back up to 25 killing the ring-bearer. They can also win of course by just destroying all the free peoples. The catch for the ring counter is no one knows what it is only events will give counts. So at 10 only the Free Peoples will know.
    3. No, what reference were you thinking?
    4. Ya, they're colors come from their flag or what flags we have so some of them are what we see as best.
    5. Ya leagues are alliances so they will share visibility
    6. They're will be medieval aesthetic the unit strengths are around there but it depends which unit
    7. Yes they will act as generals and will give buffs to a unit stack which will be unique to each character, Frodo will not be one of those characters since he is taking the ring to Mordor.
    8. See number 2

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  8. Sauron The Great

A thing I thought of: Is the Neutral league going to be an alliance? This is because 'neutral' seems to me like a catch-all term for anyone not in the League of Sauron or the Free Peoples. Too add to that statement, who is going to be in the Neutral league?

To clarify on my last post, I meant natural wonders (is that what you were thinking too? I'm not sure that we're on the same page here.)

Is it possible to change leagues, even if that change might be unrealistic? (i.e. Gondor joining Sauron or Rhun joining the Free Peoples)

Another clarification on my last post, The reference I was thinking of was leet/1337/137 (my brain must have been in Meme mode at the time)

9. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

No all the neutral nations will be on their own, they can either play both sides or try to win on their own accord by conquering everyone though that would be very difficult. Most nations can become neutral with the exception of Rohan, Arnor, Dale, Elves, Gondor, Gundabad and Mordor. Most start in their historical leagues, Isengard starts neutral but upon event becomes in league with sauron and Erebor can become neutral with the choice upon event .

I thought world wonders, for natural wonders we have Caradhras, Erebor and Mount Doom for now.

Ya like I said up there most civs can change if they wish. Some are forced though.

And ya I don't recall why i chose that number it does seem rather random, I think it was a proportional thing.

10. Jofromin

Jofromin Chieftain

I would really appreciate an upload of the last functional version of the mod for Civ5, to get my nostalgia going. I used to play this frequently a few years ago and would be overjoyed to play it again.

11. Sauron The Great

Quick follow-up question: What in-game natural wonders are going to be used to represent the things you listed?

12. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Well Caradhras is Mount Everest and Erebor is Mount Kilamanjaro. Kilamanjaro looks glitched on the map so I'm not sure if that will change with a proper world builder release. Mount Doom I would use Eyjafjallajökull but i think that will need the dlc I'm not sure, so its possible it will just be a rehash of Erebor.

@Jofromin You will have to ask ispanets for it is his mod I was in no way apart of that.

13. Sauron The Great

you could use torres del paine for Erebor

14. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Yes that is a good idea

15. DaTimon

DaTimon Chieftain

Someone posted a Lord of the Rings mod on the Workshop today. So i was excited, so i installed it and played it, but i thought yours was better... I am very hyped... Your progress looks great, you really put time and effort in it. That is what i like for a Mod!

Are the three small island on the left of Middle-Earth going to be featured? Like Tol Fuin and such?
    You could maybe use the Dead Sea for Argonath! Or maybe use the Gal√°pagos Islands for the Islands i was talking about!

I wish you good luck on the mod ;)

16. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Yes the Galapagos islands would probably work for those, Argonath I played around with, I had the same idea, but i thought it looked best without a natural wonder, I think it also couldn't have water adjacent too it on the world builder.

17. DaTimon

DaTimon Chieftain

Ah okay. Then you could use use water and Mountains next to it.

18. Sauron The Great

The problem with using Galapagos islands is that Himling is one island (the size of one hill), Tol Morwen would probably be too far off to be visible on the map, and I believe Tol Fuin is most of dorthonion (way too big for Galapagos.)

19. Andreas Bearvik

Andreas Bearvik Chieftain

Wow, Im so hyped! Maybe there is some new information about mod? Are you planning to release some kind of demo version?

20. Ewok-Bacon-Bits

Well I have added in music and some sound effects, but unfortunately I can't do much till they release a proper world builder. As for a demo we could possibly do that, I think for sure we will have some sort of testing alpha/beta version.