• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

LotR Modders UNITE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm... i would'nt mind puting together the mod, but the main problem with that at the moment is the fact that i do not have PTW (as yet, might get it in the next week or two)

For the hobbits I already have a city created city graphic (just need to clean it up a bit)

Also I know the Intro isnt top priorety(sp), but i am mostly doneand its most likely the only graphic contribution I can make... :cry:

The terrian should be based around the basic Civ3 terrian with some minor changes in my own opinion...

Why cant you do units? You seem pretty good with other graphics.

yeah i ok with other graphics, but realistic units and unit animation escape for the moment... :(

*ahem* hello... :D just thought i'd make my presence known.

Celeborn- hmmm... i wouldn’t mind putting together the mod, but the main problem with that at the moment is the fact that i do not have PTW (as yet, might get it in the next week or two)
That would be great. Technically we won’t be putting anything ‘together’ for a while in any case, just fooling around with some stuff, the way I envision it. So feel free to play a few games when you do get it ;).
Celeborn- For the hobbits I already have a city created city graphic (just need to clean it up a bit)
And you were saying you couldn’t contribute with graphics beyond the intro, this would be great;). Perhaps we can use them for someone else, and if not, we still have the culture group open, we can still have them, but we’ll have to get used to Hobbits not building normal-hobbit things.
Celeborn- Also I know the Intro isnt top priority, but i am mostly done and its most likely the only graphic contribution I can make...
It sounds really good, and I am amazed and what you went to do this, now I know what you meant by ‘LotR Modders UNITE!!’ ;).
Celeborn- The terrain should be based around the basic Civ3 terrian with some minor changes in my own opinion...
Sounds good to me.
sween32- *ahem* hello...:Djust thought i'd make my presence known.
Did you guys hear something :confused: ? LoL, No I’m joking, but before I maniacally start requesting things, what exactly is your presence ;)?

Originally posted by sween32
*ahem* hello... :D just thought i'd make my presence known.
By the way, could someone make a Sauron Leaderhead? :p

This is the tech tree for the first age of my Lone Wolf mod, we can use it to base the discussions around.

heya,
I will post in-game screenshots of my tech tree for wh-mod (46 techs in 2 eras, 3 era isnt finished yet), in 2-3 days. it's pretty generic fantasy, but different from yours (with a lot of magic), maybe you will find something useful there (i made some tech icons etc.)

I'll later post very nice ( :) ) wood elf cities, should be useful for LOTR too. also expect some wood elf units soon.

if I may suggest something, use Sn00pyG terrain - it really fits a fantasy mod. and replace jungles with smoking mirror's swamps!

Did you guys hear something :confused: ? LoL, No I’m joking, but before I maniacally start requesting things, what exactly is your presence ;)?
My presence? My presence??? I'm not sure yet, but I could help in some way. let me think... nope i have absolutely nothing to offer...
:confused:

I'll see what I can do, as long as a LotR mod gets done at some point in my lifetime.

PCHigway-And you were saying you couldn’t contribute with graphics beyond the intro, this would be great

fine then... the intro and the odd city or two...

Also when I say unite I mean UNITE!!!!!!! :D

Sween it would be great if you could get your wood elf leaderhead done (that is if your still working on it)

*Ponders if there is "dead marshes" type terrian floating about*

My grammar is horrible in some of my posts...

*edit*
Oh yeah also a big thing in terms of graphics would be new wonder imrovment, and generic city building graphics...

*ponders a possible redoing of the palace graphic sets*

Originally posted by Celeborn
...*Ponders if there is "dead marshes" type terrian floating about*...
Hm, maybe. It depends on if you mean a whole terrain set or a resource:

Hey,

are the giants that I've made of any use in this mod? They could be some rare living statues: Lava giant for the Sauron, Clay giant for the dwarves and Sea giant for the elves... ;)

aaglo, I don't think so. :( I at least don't want to make a Invent-your-own-and-call-it-LotR-mod, but to try to make it as accurate according to the books as possible.
I got an idea. If we make it a regicide mod, we can have, for example, Gandalf as one king, and Saruman as another. In this way we don't risk the player or AI building hundreds of Gandalf units. And the magicians will be quite rare, we shouldn't have as much magic as in warhammer and other fantasy worlds. If the Misty Mountain Orcs are one civ they can have the Balrog as king. We don't want hundreds of Balrogs either, even though it's a very cool unit.

This is a Dwarven City List I made way back for ToT. I've used every name I found of Dwarf settlements in midgard. As you can see, I've reused a lot of names, if I had both the elven and the Dwarven name, I added them both. As you see it's very short, but I don't think we should invent too many names.
Belegost
Nogrod
Khazad-Dûm
Gabilgathol
Mickleburg
Tumunzahar
Erebor
Lonely Mountain
Hollowbold
Moria
Grey Mountains
Iron Hills
Blue Mountains
Aglarond

could we have use of dargon unit? There are dragons in Silmarillion, ground dragons, not flying ones. I've made an dragon unit in 3D studio MAX, but I don't know how to animate him. I9m still learning.

Attachments

• zmaj.jpg
    zmaj.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 176
Damn I have a lot of quoting to do, but here goes...
mrtn- This is the tech tree for the first age of my Lone Wolf mod, we can use it to base the discussions around.
Looks good, but brings up the question, just what ‘ages’ will we have in the MOD? Will we begin with the coming of man? The coming of Elves? Or just center it around the famed trilogy?
embryodead- heya,
I will post in-game screenshots of my tech tree for wh-mod (46 techs in 2 eras, 3 era isnt finished yet), in 2-3 days. it's pretty generic fantasy, but different from yours (with a lot of magic), maybe you will find something useful there (i made some tech icons etc.)
That’s good, we will probably have a version that coincides between the two, depending on what time frame we go with.
embryodead- I'll later post very nice ( :) ) wood elf cities, should be useful for LOTR too. also expect some wood elf units soon.
Thats is also good, but it makes me wonder, how can we incorporate between the Eldar and the Avari (‘Light’ Elves \ ‘Dark’ Elves). If this MOD begins with the coming of Elves, perhaps it will be best to make them two different Culture groups?
embryodead- If I may suggest something, use Sn00pyG terrain - it really fits a fantasy mod. and replace jungles with smoking mirror's swamps!
Of course you can, But I’m not so sure, I think Womoks would be better for this type of MOD, mrtn thinks Warpstorms would be best, and you think Snoopy’s is the one to go with. Leaving it up to the down loader, with a special note on choosing (the strengths and weakness of each) will be the best bet.
sween32- My presence? My presence??? I'm not sure yet, but I could help in some way. let me think... nope i have absolutely nothing to offer...
Don’t get offended, I was just making sure if you had time, let alone felt like doing it, before I started requesting leaderheads with reckless abandon. As for getting it done in your lifetime, you can’t argue with the inevitable ;). It is bound to get done, especially with the Movie factor adding to popularity.
Celeborn- Oh yeah also a big thing in terms of graphics would be new wonder improvement, and generic city building graphics...
I’ll try and do something about it, in the mean time there are quite a few already made that can be used.
Celeborn- *ponders a possible redoing of the palace graphic sets*
Been doing a lot of pondering as of late have you? ;) I wouldn’t know if it’s possible, I have never tried, nor heard of anyone trying, but it may have happened at one point.
mrtn- Hm, maybe. It depends on if you mean a whole terrain set or a resource:
I remember seeing you post that in ATG, and think it’s great, and opens great possibilities. We may not be able to have customized City gfx for each Civ, but at least we can make the Terrain features very unique. We should probably put these resources over the ‘swamp’ Terrain, so it will have the same effects. I.e Fortify and die, or something along that nature. We may want to put a road system through the Dead Marshes. And put some wheeled barbarian Ghosts along the paths, making it less than advantages for Mordor to want to go there... But then again, it would probably just lure all the AI warriors to come and kill them :rolleyes: .
aaglo- Hey,

are the giants that I've made of any use in this mod? They could be some rare living statues: Lava giant for the Sauron, Clay giant for the dwarves and Sea giant for the elves... ;)
mrtn- aaglo, I don't think so. :( I at least don't want to make a Invent-your-own-and-call-it-LotR-mod, but to try to make it as accurate according to the books as possible.
I have to agree with mrtn here, but maybe we will be able to use one for a King unit? There just weren’t many (no) Giants in Lotr, sorry:cringe:.
mrtn- I got an idea. If we make it a regicide mod, we can have, for example, Gandalf as one king, and Saruman as another. In this way we don't risk the player or AI building hundreds of Gandalf units. And the magicians will be quite rare, we shouldn't have as much magic as in warhammer and other fantasy worlds. If the Misty Mountain Orcs are one civ they can have the Balrog as king. We don't want hundreds of Balrogs either, even though it's a very cool unit.
Good Idea :goodjob:. Here is what I was thinking, we don’t want to limit the MOD itself to regicide, but we should have no problems about doing so with the LotR scenario (main feature). So, what we should do is have active player on, and have each Civilization start with one of these units, give them high defenses, maybe even mark them as immobile, or king units (It shouldn’t have any effect if it’s not on regicide). But the AI will still guard them, thinking if it dies so do ‘I’. This way we can have multiple King units, so Sam and the Other Hobbits beside Frodo can all be included. Another option to do that is ‘armies’ which I mentioned earlier. If it possible to make a Army a King Unit? If so, we can include either the entire Fellowship, or parts of it. Such as Frodo, and Sam, or Pippin and Merry. That last Idea would only really work in a distinct scenario, where the player can only play as ‘The Fellowship’. TO lower the amount of Balrogs, giving them High Cost and many population Should do it. Couple that with a resource, and we can limit it to only one city or two building them.
mrtn- This is a Dwarven City List I made way back for ToT. I've used every name I found of Dwarf settlements in midgard. As you can see, I've reused a lot of names, if I had both the elven and the Dwarven name, I added them both. As you see it's very short, but I don't think we should invent too many names.
Belegost
Nogrod
Khazad-Dûûm
Gabilgathol
Mickleburg
Tumunzahar
Erebor
Lonely Mountain
Hollowbold
Moria
Grey Mountains
Iron Hills
Blue Mountains
Aglarond
NIce List :D . I agree with you again, but we have to have atleast 15-20 cities for each Civ IMHO, no matter what.

Doc M- Could we have use of dargon unit? There are dragons in Silmarillion, ground dragons, not flying ones. I've made an dragon unit in 3D studio MAX, but I don't know how to animate him. I9m still learning.
Nice Dragon there, it is up to you to make it of course, but we aren’t really sure about time periods yet. Which leads me to another thing...

I think we should start with the coming of Man, pretty much all the Civs were around then (except the Hobbits, but we can represent that with City gfx) And for the LotR scenario, we can simply quadruple the techs cost, and make them start in the appropriate age. This wouldn’t limit other people who want to make their own Scenario’s to post either!

Originally posted by PCHighway
...Of course you can, But I’m not so sure, I think Womoks would be better for this type of MOD, mrtn thinks Warpstorms would be best, and you think Snoopy’s is the one to go with. Leaving it up to the down loader, with a special note on choosing (the strengths and weakness of each) will be the best bet.
Yes, this is probably best.

... Another option to do that is ‘armies’ which I mentioned earlier. If it possible to make a Army a King Unit? If so, we can include either the entire Fellowship, or parts of it. Such as Frodo, and Sam, or Pippin and Merry. That last Idea would only really work in a distinct scenario, where the player can only play as ‘The Fellowship’.
I don't really understand this idea. Remember that you only see one unit at a time in an army.
...TO lower the amount of Balrogs, giving them High Cost and many population Should do it. Couple that with a resource, and we can limit it to only one city or two building them.
I don't think this will work. The AI will only build Balrogs, and reduce all their cities to size one. :( Remember that there were only one Balrog left in the Third Age.

... NIce List :D . I agree with you again, but we have to have atleast 15-20 cities for each Civ IMHO, no matter what.
That depends on the size of the map. It shouldn't be bigger than Large IMHO. After all, I want to be able to play the scenario. :eek:

...I think we should start with the coming of Man, pretty much all the Civs were around then (except the Hobbits, but we can represent that with City gfx) And for the LotR scenario, we can simply quadruple the techs cost, and make them start in the appropriate age. This wouldn’t limit other people who want to make their own Scenario’s to post either!
The hobbits were probably around, remember that they are small. :)

If you are considdering a Fellowship scenario, then take a look at this thread I posted some time ago:)

In terms of ages i tought that it should start in the age of starlight (ie. with the coming of the elves) and go through to the third age of the sun...

that way we also have a "future tech" ie. "The Dominion of Men"

also most of what we know of tolkiens world goes no further than the end of the third age...

and PC, I do a LOT of pondering...

also we coyuld perhaps use aaglo's fire gaint for an Evil king unit... (melkior for example if we choose to have him in the game)

mrtn, i mean "dead marshes" as in a replacement for maybe tundra, or even desert...

dragons could be an advanced babarian...
strike terror into the hearts of mortals...

In terms of ages i tought that it should start in the age of starlight (ie. with the coming of the elves) and go through to the third age of the sun...

that way we also have a "future tech" ie. "The Dominion of Men"
I think this is too early. We should have some human civs, and we can't let them begin in the middle of the game. :(

...mrtn, i mean "dead marshes" as in a replacement for maybe tundra, or even desert...

dragons could be an advanced babarian...
strike terror into the hearts of mortals...

We probably need those terrain types, though.

And I thought about the dragons. Would it be possible make it like this?
Make mountains impassable.
Put a mountain, for example the Lonely Mountain :) on the map, and put a airport and a dragon on it.
Make the dragon a air unit, which can't re-base. (Or don't have anywhere to re-base to)
Give it a nice operational range.
Wouldn't this dragon make attacks from this mountain? And the player can't attack it, so it will be a terror for ages. I don't have very much airplane experience, but this should work, shouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom