• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

LotR Modders UNITE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is too early. We should have some human civs, and we can't let them begin in the middle of the game.

yes and Licon along with Elizabeth was alive in 4000BC, not to forget that both the USA and England as countries existed back then....

not to sure of the dragon idea there but it could work...

we might be able to use the tundra but i dont really remember deserts in LotR...

Celeborn - look at the brown swamps (not original blue) made by Smoking Mirror... they are really good for dead marshes, and they look great in game.

mrtn- I don't really understand this idea. Remember that you only see one unit at a time in an army.
Is seeing them all at once important? Here is the background of my idea. In what I am pretty sure is the first LotR thread ever at CFC, this guy talked about a Civ2 scn. That had the victory come when someone brought ‘Frodo’ to Mt. Doom. Now, in conquests we are promised New Victory conditions, and perhaps some more Editing goodness as they are making ‘campaigns’. If we had an Army, and named it ‘the fellowship’ coupled with Yoda’s idea about the Road thing, we could get a good scenario going. Or even without the Road idea (which is complicated) It could still be fun, for instance, we could make Frodo and Sam upgrade to a more powerful version of themselves at a certain point, where they become non-wheeled, and take a new path while the others go their different ways. Later one we can give Frodo the ‘Invisible ability’ yet have certain ‘detect invisible’ units around the path. Making you have to use strategy. It’s just an Idea, but having the Fellowship in a group form makes perfect sense to me, even outside of a Scenario, although, I realize this probably isn’t the way to go.
mrtn- I don't think this will work. The AI will only build Balrogs, and reduce all their cities to size one. :( Remember that there were only one Balrog left in the Third Age.
Yes, only one in the Third age :). We (once again) could have two form of them, one less powerful, and another more powerful, remember, the unit has 3 attack animations, the first one could only include the sword, while the last cycles through all, just to add flavor, it only requires a different .ini (not two whole 9mb files :eek: ) .

-Good Idea Yoda, but we really can’t decide until the MOD is pretty much complete, it would be hard to signify the splitting up of the Fellowship anyway, though And if we used the army idea, we have to give the ‘unload option’ for the player to do it himself.

Celeborn- In terms of ages i thought that it should start in the age of starlight (ie. with the coming of the elves) and go through to the third age of the sun...
I’m sort of torn between your idea and mrtn’s. But I am glad we aren’t going with just the Third age. They both have their pluses, so lets try and compromise, starting with the elves, we have more material to work with, yet, ‘the coming of man’ won’t work very well, and if we go with ‘the arrival of man’ we skip the whole ‘barbaric’ age, with weak Orcs and powerful elves. It basically would then start slightly after the ‘fourth battle’ yet everything would fit in perfectly as far as realism goes. I think we should start slightly before the Elves met the Men, in-between both of your suggestions (but closer to mrtn’s). This way we can give the early men handicaps, like high cost workers and settlers, yet (the ‘good’ ones) would get an alliance with the Elves, and the ‘evil’ ones would have the protection of Mordor. It would just be to hard to have them start in the twilight, unless we have super cheap techs, but then, what we be the point of even having the techs?

As for Marshes, I don’t think we should replace deserts, how about Jungles? We can call it simply ‘marshes’ (instead of swamps) and for the dead marshes in particular, we can put that resource over it, to give it an awesome look :) . Same with the Lothlorien forests, we can put in a resource that looks like a ‘golden’ forest, to make it look more distinct.

On the subject of dragons, that is a little drastic, and would make having a dragon around a pointless (imagine a mere warrior beating up Glaurung). We should use it as a early dragon as Doc (can I call you Doc ;) ) suggested. Which upgrades to a winged dragon mrtn is talking about, which leads to...
mrtn- And I thought about the dragons. Would it be possible make it like this?
Make mountains impassable.
Put a mountain, for example the Lonely Mountain :) on the map, and put a airport and a dragon on it.
Make the dragon a air unit, which can't re-base. (Or don't have anywhere to re-base to)
Give it a nice operational range.
Wouldn't this dragon make attacks from this mountain? And the player can't attack it, so it will be a terror for ages. I don't have very much airplane experience, but this should work, shouldn't it?
That is one hell of a brainstorm :goodjob: !!! It would be great, and give us a use for the Airports and simulate certain things perfectly! All we need is to modify the Airstrip graphics, make it a pile of treasure perhaps? :D This also gives a function for the ‘non-winged’ Dragons, maybe they shouldn’t upgrade :). Also, if we make Great leaders warrior like units with good stats, then perhaps they can go and kill the dragon (they would be unwheeled??). I want to suggest some things in the wishlist, such as ‘specific animation for leader units’ and ‘only build unit once’.

Celebon- yes and Lincoln along with Elizabeth was alive in 4000BC, not to forget that both the USA and England as countries existed back then....
yes, and don’t we all agree thats absurd? We want to stick to the books is what I thought. Yoda Power made great new tundra graphics, the snow is more white in them. Or we can borrow some from the winter terrain pack in PtW. Are you getting it soon BtW?

Lets name the ages, this seem to be the first problem our roundtable talk has brought up ;). Once we get them, we can get the Civs and Culture groups down. Once again, lets get the ages down, and now. First priority.

[Edit- Mrtn, took the words out of my mouth with the Jungle bit. As for the desert, maybe a black ash-land desert?]

hmmm... i understand waht you mean with the arival of man and all, but that leaves us with only tree ages, which have to fit into four era's :(

so so far we have the first second and third age of the sun, which leaves us with on age missing and i dont think the fourt age would really work for reasons mentioned above...

replacing jungles could work well...

i might be able to make a black desert type terrian...

the "airport" in mrtns idea could be a dragon roost?

but that leaves us with only tree ages
Got tree's on the brain there ;). As for the ashlands, if you feel your up to it, but I don't know where you can find some 'base' gfx... Morrowind has Ashland terrain, I might be able to get some from there ;). But now we have to include them into the credits, which BTW I have been working on :lol:. I just wanted to see If I could replace that Elvis pic at the end, with one of Tolkiens, it looks sweet, very glossed. In PtW, the airfields basically give air units the abilities that a city would, without the city.

But wasn’t the Mod supposed to end in the third age? How can we have four if we started with the elves twilight? Ah wait, are we going to have the Fourth age, or just make it the future tech like (I think it was you) mentioned?

Originally posted by PCHighway
... That is one hell of a brainstorm :goodjob: !!! It would be great, and give us a use for the Airports and simulate certain things perfectly! All we need is to modify the Airstrip graphics, make it a pile of treasure perhaps? :D This also gives a function for the ‘non-winged’ Dragons, maybe they shouldn’t upgrade :). Also, if we make Great leaders warrior like units with good stats, then perhaps they can go and kill the dragon (they would be unwheeled??). I want to suggest some things in the wishlist, such as ‘specific animation for leader units’ and ‘only build unit once’....[Edit- Mrtn, took the words out of my mouth with the Jungle bit. As for the desert, maybe a black ash-land desert?]
I don't really know how airports function, but is it so that they disappear if swallowed by foreign culture? In that case we can have mountains completely impassable (which we IMO should have anyway). The only way to get rid of the dragon would be to build a city in the dragons operational range and build lots of culture. :nya:

The desert could be gray, but not too black, that would probably look weird.

EDIT: Celeborn, we don't need to have four eras. It's easy to mod so that everyone start in the second era, so we have 2nd, 3rd and 4th eras, i e first to third age. :)

Ages, Ages, Ages, we need to think of some names people!

I also recommend the MOD team ( are we a team yet ;) ) start reading the Silmarillion again if your schedule permits. I was hoping some people who knew it very well, or even just a little would come in and give us some help, but it doesn’t seem that way :(. They could really help with names.

Mrtn, some extra mountains surrounding the one in particular, wouldn't hurt.

I think, as far as culture goes if you cant 'build' a dragons lair, then it would just get destroyed (disappears) if in the radius.

And even then the Dragon still remains, for someone to have to attack, if we give it a bombard range of 2 and blitz (movement of 3 and immobile). It should also still act as a threat, although not over the large amount of range as an dragon lair would give it (good name for the airfield Celeborn). Representing the decline of power in the ages.

Should Dwarves be able to build cities in mountains? We can give them a tech they start out with, thats not in the tech tree so no one can research it, that allows them to see resources that other cant?!?! making it only good for them to be by a mountain. But could they sell it??? (thanks for teaching me that Yoda, the force is strong with this one ;) )

Another thing, should the units Start out Superior for the elves?!?! And then gradually get worse? Would the AI still upgrade them, maybe if they were cheaper in shields but not in population?

Originally posted by Celeborn
i will start looking into get hosting from strategyplanet (like the starwars mod) but first we need content...

If they ask for a template of the site, I'll let you guys use the one for the Star Wars mod, which was made by nEo. With some changes, you could have you're own custom site relatively quickly.

Ages, Ages, Ages, we need to think of some names people!

I also recommend the MOD team ( are we a team yet ;) ) start reading the Silmarillion again if your schedule permits. I was hoping some people who knew it very well, or even just a little would come in and give us some help, but it doesn’t seem that way :(. They could really help with names.

Mrtn, some extra mountains surrounding the one in particular, wouldn't hurt.

I think, as far as culture goes if you cant 'build' a dragons lair, then it would just get destroyed (disappears) if in the radius.
Is this how it works in the ordinary game?

Should Dwarves be able to build cities in mountains? We can give them a tech they start out with, thats not in the tech tree so no one can research it, that allows them to see resources that other cant?!?! making it only good for them to be by a mountain. But could they sell it??? (thanks for teaching me that Yoda, the force is strong with this one ;) )
All the AIs would still "see" those resources, and build cities nearby.

Another thing, should the units Start out Superior for the elves?!?! And then gradually get worse? Would the AI still upgrade them, maybe if they were cheaper in shields but not in population?
This is contrary to what is usual, so the AI would probably treat this really badly. And if it is a player, he just wouldn't upgrade his units. Cheating is easy.

No offense, but I am going to test those ideas before I write them off just yet ;). And yes, that is how they work, to my knowledge, but then again... Maybe the air units get destroyed like when a city is taken? Note to self, make sure we don't make it an air unit, just give it air abilities. And if they AI doesn't like that, we just have to suffer with the Culture destroying it, but I think its just the Air units 0 def. that makes them get killed.

I just thought of something. The first age mostly took place in Beleriand, right? (Or was it the second age? I've only read the Silmarillion once.) Beleriand sank into the sea! That's not good, map wise.

About the dragons, here's an idea I've had for awhile:

Make a dragon unit the equivalent of a Tactical Nuke. No, seriously, it could work this way. Dragons were too rare and much too powerful to be used as any sort of ordinary unit, and they were never under the control of anyone other than Morgoth (and even then they were more inclined to serve only themselves; Glaurung always had a large degree of autonomy, and after the sacking of Nargothrond he hoarded up all of the treasure and laid in the middle of the hall).

Since dragons 1) were very untrustworthy 2) were inherently evil 3) were much to powerful to be defeated by any ordinary unit and 4) could lay waste to large areas (i.e. Dale) Dragons really could use the "Nuclear Weapon" flag. They should be very expensive, more so than some wonders, so they won't be built often. They should have a slow movement, and a high range. Then, when they attack, they fly up into the air, back down, and circle once or twice around the nine target squares, breathing fire. Once they've done this, they fly off to parts unknown, probably to hoard some treasure. :) In their wake they leave ash (pollution) all over the place, which must be cleaned up to make the terrain inhabitable again. Oh, and they burn down any jungle or forest and scorch grasslands to praries and praries to desert. Once a dragon is used other civs immediately become angry, reflecting the fact that they recognize that only a truly evil race would use such creatures. :)

This really would work, the only problem would be finding someone willing to animate this. The only problem would be that dragons could be destroyed or captured by anyone, but I don't think it's too big of a problem.

Also excessive dragon use would cause global warming, which although slightly inaccurate doesn't (in my opinion) cause too much trouble.

GEChallenger, I think that the AI would start to hoard dragons. :( And once someone started to use dragons, everyone would. To quote Han Solo; I've a bad feeling about this. Not saying it's a bad idea, just a bad AI.
I think that a lot of the really powerful units shouldn't be possible to build in ordinary ways.

Yes, I was worried that that would happen. :( But maybe such a high price would discourage too many being built? Perhaps they could even cost pop points. I still think it’s worth a shot, even if it’s a long one.

Anyway, I think that we probably need to start coming up with something concrete right now. We should probably first hammer out a list of civs, cities, and culture groups. That's the “easiest” part.

I've always thought that there should be the following sixteen civs:

The Shire
The Khazâd
Gondor
Arnor
Dale
Rohan
Númenór
Umbar
Harad
Rhûn
Isengard
Angmar
Mordor
Lothlörien
Mirkwood
Eregion

Since only five culture groups are allowed, and all that they really do are determine what the cities, palaces, and citizens look like, these culture groups should be based off of the five main races. Those are:

Hobbits (The Shire)
Dwarves (The Khazad)
Men (Gondor, Arnor, Numenor, Dale, Rohan, Harad, Rhun, Umbar)
Orcs (Isengard, Mordor, Angmar)
Elves (Lothlorien, Mirkwood, Eregion)

I know that the hobbit and dwarf group will only have one civ apiece, both should have architecture and citizens that are different from the others.

(Actually, Men should probably be split into a Dunedain (Arnor, Gondor, Numenor, Umbar), Northmen (Rohan, Dale), and Barbarian (Harad, Rhun)groups (I forget the terms used for the Northmen and Barbarians). Elves likewise should be split into Noldor (Eregion) and Teleri (I believe that's what the "wood elves" are called) (Lothlorien, Mirkwood). However, this can't be the case. With (alot) of luck Conquests will allow us to add culture groups.)

The biggest problem will be finding city names. The Shire, Gondor, and maybe Rohan, Eregion, and Mordor won't be too hard. (I've already got a list of Shire and Gondorian cities). That's why certain civs should be combined.

Eregion would be a combination of Eregion, under Celebrimbor, and Lhun, under Gil-Galad. Also included would be Imladris.

The Shire is, of course, the Shire, with the addition of Buckland and Bree.

Rhun represents all Eastern tribes (there were several). Harad likewise represents Southron tribes exluding Umbar. Umbar represents the Black Numenorians and later Corsairs.

The Khazad is a combination of all dwarf cities and houses. The Dwarves were simply never widespread or powerful enough to warrent separate civs.

Isengard should include Dunland. Angmar includes the Northern Orcs, whose capital in The Hobbit was Mount Gundabad. Dale will include Esgaroth.

Gondor, Arnor, Numenor, Mordor, Mirkwood, and Lothlorien are all pretty self-explanatory.

So there’s my take on it. I would use Barbarians to represent non-sentient (or at least non-civilized) creatures such as spiders and other things that go bump in the night.

And about not having certain civs in the beginning, I really don’t think that that’s too much of an issue. I’m perfectly OK with having Americans in 1400 BC and Celts in 2025 AD, because (the way I see it) it’s just a game. So I would be perfectly OK with playing as the Shire in F.A. 65 and Numenor in T.A. 3019. I wouldn’t handicap any civs at all. I think that some (but ONLY some) creative license is necessary.

I would NOT, however, include civs featured only in the Silmarillion. In my opinion they’re too sketchy, too powerful, and too “mythological” to be included in this sort of mod.

So what do you all think? Is this a good plan of action (civs first, then everything else)? Good list of civs, or not?

Here’s what I have city-wise so far. Obviously quite a few more need to be added to every one of these, probably the way mrtn did with the Dwarf cities.
I made these lists awhile ago based off of the maps, so they’re more than a little sketchy. Also not all of these are really cities; some are towers or “points of interest.”

The Shire
Hobbiton
Buckland
Tuckborough
Bywater
Overhill
Frogmorton
Whitfurrows
Stock
Bag-End
Nobottle
Scary
Willowbottom
Bree

The Khazâd

Gondor
Minas Tirith
Osgiliath
Dol Amroth
Minas Ithil
Belfalas
Lossarnach
Morthond
Lamedon
Pinnath Gelin
Emyn Arnen

Arnor
Annuminas
Fornost

Dale
Dale
Esgaroth

Rohan
Edoras
Helm's Deep
Dunharrow

Númenór
Armenelos
If anyone has a copy of Unfinished Tales (mine sorta fell apart) there are a number of other cities, citadels, and places of interest listed in Part II (I think).

Umbar
City of the Corsairs

Harad
Who knows? I’ve never seen any Haradrim cities mentioned. I don’t even know who their leader should be.

Rhûn
Another “Who knows?” I don’t know who their leader should be either. Maybe Khamûl, the second most powerful Nazgûl? He was an Easterling, and must have been a powerful one to be chosen by Sauron.

Isengard
Orthanc
Dunland

Angmar
Cairn Dûm
Gundabad

Mordor
Barad-dur
Minas Morgul
Sammath Naur
Cirith Ungol
Nurnen
Dol Guldur

Lothlörien
Caras Galadhon

Mirkwood
The Elven King’s Halls? I don’t even know if they had a real name. Or if there are any cities worth mentioning in Mirkwood. Or should it be called Greenwood the Great?

Eregion
Imladris
Lindon

And lastly, I want to mention that leaderheads for this should probably be static but if possible 3-D. It would also probably be best if they were all made by the same person. I would like to see some that aren’t based off the movie too, if possible. :)

Who’s in charge here, by the way? It seems that either Celeborn or PCHighway is mostly “mediating” the thread, with some input form mrtn. Or is everyone equal? :D

I think you mean Númenórë not, Beleriand ;).

Númenórë

Beleriand

On the plus side I map site, you can find it found a damn good map site, you can find it here.

GEChallenger-
It’s all about the graphics ;). No, I like your idea, but it gives a sort of ‘intangible’ feel to Dragons. It is a possiblity, but I am not one to rule it out. I do like the prospect of mrtns other ideas a little bit more, making you need a hero to destroy it, and making it last longer, to cause havoc. Perhaps two breeds of Dragons can be made? Or even, we can name each one, and they upgrade to a stronger one? We will have to see how and what conquests adds. I wouldn’t say Dragons are so ‘impossible’ to control either. Here is a quote that took forever to find:

“But Túrin passed away on the northward road, and Glaurung laughed once more, for he had accomplished the errand of his master. Then he turned to his own pleasure...”

Orders come first eh ;).

:eek: Nice list GEC! But I have question about the Númenórë, I'll check out the book anyway. Gondor and Arnor sort of take over for Númenórë, though. I think there is some talk about the Easterlings somewhere... I'll look for it, check out this site in the meantime, and take a look at that old thread I was talking about (Don't Post in it!). I am sort of tired, so I will give you more feedback on the list tomorrow. everyones equal, Celeborn is going to put together the main version though. Also, Hobbits? Come one now, I can think of a better 5th culture group!?!? It is only one Civ, with the exception of the Dwarves (who could have two or three civs if we wanted, and are more distinct) We'll lets leave the fifth blank for now, if we get more hobbit units, then we should go for it, maybe even in a later version\patch type thing. The hobbits will get many ‘man’ hand me downs either way, but having ‘man’ units and being a different culture group seems a little pointless, IMHO.

[EDIT- Are you sure about Beleriand? I thought it's defeat spawned Lindon into a great 'city-state' type thing?]

:eek: Nice list GEC! Thanks. It could be better, though. :)

But I have question about the Númenórë, I'll check out the book anyway. Gondor and Arnor sort of take over for Númenórë, though.

True. The Numenorian Realms-in-Exile are really pretty much the same as a transplanted Numenor. I generally think of Gondor and Arnor as being sort of like the Byzantine Empire was to the Roman Empire; a smaller but nevertheless powerful successor to a glorious old empire.

Also, Hobbits? Come one now, I can think of a better 5th culture group!?!? It is only one Civ, with the exception of the Dwarves (who could have two or three civs if we wanted, and are more distinct) We'll lets leave the fifth blank for now, if we get more hobbit units, then we should go for it, maybe even in a later version\patch type thing. The hobbits will get many ‘man’ hand me downs either way, but having ‘man’ units and being a different culture group seems a little pointless, IMHO.

I know, I know. :p I was sort of thinking of The Shire as the equivalent to the Iroquois or the Zulu; a relatively minor civ that was never hugely powerful. In-game, though, they can be alot stronger than they were historically. I rather like the idea, though I guess they could be just as easily lumped with Men.

If this is the case, then I'd use the empty fifth culture group as another human one, that way you could have Numenor, Gondor, Arnor, and Umbar together and Dale, Rohan, Harad, and Rhun together-- although Harad should probably have a more African look.

I guess Dwarves could have several civs, but I think the best way to go about this is to have a single civ represent all dwarves, just as the Iroquois are supposed to represent all North American indians.

EDIT:

[EDIT- Are you sure about Beleriand? I thought it's defeat spawned Lindon into a great 'city-state' type thing?]

The coming of the Valar into the world and their subsequent war on Morgoth pretty much ruined all of Beleriand, which sank beneath the sea. When the remnant of the Noldar, led by Gil-Galad, entered Middle-Earth they settled on the Gulf of Lhun, which was a close as they could get to Beleriand.

The Blue Mountains that run through the Lhun region are the same as the Blue Mountains that run along the extreme eastern part (and I believe a little to the south) of the Beleriand map in The Silmarillion. I don't have any of these maps on hand, though. I don't have the Silmarillion with me now, either so I could be wrong.

Originally posted by GEChallenger
Yes, I was worried that that would happen. :( But maybe such a high price would discourage too many being built? Perhaps they could even cost pop points. I still think it’s worth a shot, even if it’s a long one.
I think that the AI is hard wired to think : Ah, nukes! Build, build, build! It would just ruin its production in the process.

Anyway, I think that we probably need to start coming up with something concrete right now. We should probably first hammer out a list of civs, cities, and culture groups. That's the “easiest” part.

I've always thought that there should be the following sixteen civs:

The Shire
The Khazâd
Gondor
Arnor
Dale
Rohan
Númenór
Umbar
Harad
Rhûn
Isengard
Angmar
Mordor
Lothlörien
Mirkwood
Eregion

Since only five culture groups are allowed, and all that they really do are determine what the cities, palaces, and citizens look like, these culture groups should be based off of the five main races. Those are:

Hobbits (The Shire)
Dwarves (The Khazad)
Men (Gondor, Arnor, Numenor, Dale, Rohan, Harad, Rhun, Umbar)
Orcs (Isengard, Numenor, Umber)
Elves (Lothlorien, Mirkwood, Eregion)

I know that the hobbit and dwarf group will only have one civ apiece, both should have architecture and citizens that are different from the others.
Do we really need all those 16 civs? I might be an infidel, but I don't think that quantity equals quality. I suppose that Orcs (Numenor, Umber), should be Orcs(Mordor, Angmar)? Should we really have both Gondor, Arnor AND Numenor. Should Dale really be a complete civ? Likewise with Umbar? Umbar could probably be lumped together with the Southrons. 13 good civs are better than 13 good and 3 bad civs.
Oh, and please don't spell it Lothlörien. As a Swede I'm very sensitive to dots. To me this sounds as a country bumpkin talking.
...I would NOT, however, include civs featured only in the Silmarillion. In my opinion they’re too sketchy, too powerful, and too “mythological” to be included in this sort of mod.
I agree.
...Gondor
Minas Tirith
Osgiliath
Dol Amrath
Minas Ithil
Belfalas
Lossarnach
Morthond
Lamedon
Pinnath Gelin
Emyn Arnen
Isn't it Dol Amroth?
The following city lists (I know they are not finalized) underscores that we should think about merging more civs.
...And lastly, I want to mention that leaderheads for this should probably be static but if possible 3-D. It would also probably be best if they were all made by the same person. I would like to see some that aren’t based off the movie too, if possible. :)

Who’s in charge here, by the way? It seems that either Celeborn or PCHighway is mostly “mediating” the thread, with some input form mrtn. Or is everyone equal? :D
Sween32 has made some leaderheads already. He might do more, and we should be able to use some from the game.

For now, it seems that we're all first among equals. :) But, talk is cheep, when we start doing something, that might change. :D

I meant Beleriand, as GeChallenger realised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom