Loving Tectonic (version 3.17 maps)

slobberinbear

Ursine Skald
I really like Tectonic and the options it gives you in the generation screens. In particular, the "earthlike" map, on huge, is wonderful. It really feels like an alternate earth. Bravo.

Prepare yourself.... I had already tried Tectonics script before and it can create really crazy maps, especially if you mess much with the sea and mountains issues ;)

yep, i was playing around generating the maps yesterday since i didnt have time for a game.....
the map script looks great. i especially love the fact some of the landmasses just disappear onto the north pole/south pole....lets face it, on our earth, antartica is a bit of an isolated phenomenon since our landmasses float around all over the place, in a 100 odd million years antartica im sure will be somewhere a bit warmer and nicer, perhaps have a bit of tundra going, 20c in the summer, that kinda thing.
i cant wait to play it.

yep, looks very interesting. I've checked few modes of it. This map will be the first when I'll got some free time to play :)

Continent shape is determined by large domains ( like RL tectonic plates ), and sometimes where they have contact, it creates mountain ridges.

It is a very interesting script. Try it ;)

But how is it for gameplay? Granted I only generated one map out of interest, and although it looked "realistic" some of the civs had precious few hills nearby - usually only in the capital's BFC.

I have played 2 tectonic games right now.

What I can deduce is that teching is GENERALLY slower because of the increased mountains and also because of the abundance of plains tiles. Granted, there will be some nice, compact grassland/floodplains sites but I see a lot more plains and deserts than in continents.

Techtonics maps are great.
You often get choke points that lead to some strategic dilemas.
Also odd starts with a lot of plains that can be fun.
I play 70% water exclusively these days because it keeps throwing up new things.

I agree -- Tectonics has always been one of my favorite map scripts. The version that they included in patch 3.17 is even better, thanks to the extra features that LDiCesare put into it.

How does it compare to PerfectMap and SmartMap? I can't really try it out myself yet because I'm waiting for Amra's mod to update to 3.17 before I patch.

Ehm, I am eager to try this (LAN with a friend), and I am patching atm. I am not getting a download progress bar and neither is my friend. When we try to push anything, this message appears:

Spoiler screenie :

Is this normal? And how long will it take to patch? :wallbash:

How quickly do the plates move? In real life they'd probably move less than one tile over the whole 6050 years of the game.

Could anybody post a SS?

Top Bottom