1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MacBUFFY

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by AlanH, Feb 11, 2010.

1. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Good to hear that you are working now.

It's interesting that there are differences in that file. I've compared my own Windows copy with the Mac version and I get the same list of differences. It looks as if the Mac v3.19 patch didn't include a Firaxis change in the Windows version.

I don't see the point of that Steam change. /Applications, ~/Documents, and ~/Library/Application Support are all included in Time Machine backups, unless you deliberately exclude them. I'd have thought that would be what you want to happen so that you can restore a full system config from backup. And they shouldn't add "GBytes of backup data", as app files shouldn't change often.

In any case, MacAssetsCheck should still find the Civ4 folder, wherever they put it, as it now asks the OS for the locations of any of the Civ4, Warlords or BtS applications. It can then find the rest of the folder structure. OS X should have detected, or been notified of, the installation, and it should report at least one of their locations.

2. cjholms

cjholms Chieftain

Just tried loading BOTM 35, but my Steam version of BtS displays a message and then quits before I can read the error message. I ran the asset checker and got some errors. Can anyone help with this?

Attached Files:

3. AlanH

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Most of those errors are related to the way that Steam installs Warlords, and that isn't relevant if you are running MacBUFFY, as Warlords is not required.

The key error line is:

This has come up before. See post #77 in this thread.

It looks as if the version of BtS that Aspyr distributes has a slightly different version of that file from the one you get from Steam. The version that MacBUFFY expects is attached to that post. Download it and copy it into the folder: /Users/cjholms/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/ to replace the one you have.

4. cjholms

cjholms Chieftain

Success! I replaced the file and now I can load the save. Thank you so much for your quick response!

5. dronad

dronad Chieftain

Can't play BotM 37... Looked all through this thread and came up with these errors after running the Assets Check. Any thoughts? Looking forward to trying some GotM's... Newish player here :D

Attached Files:

6. AlanH

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Are you sure you have installed MacBUFFY at:
    /Users/dronad/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization iv/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/ ?

The Assets Checker is reporting it missing.

7. dronad

dronad Chieftain

Wow! What a quick reply, thank you. I didn't have MacBUFFY in the correct place after all, but I am still experiencing errors. The result is something similar to what whb was experiencing in post #71. I am trying to reinstall vanilla Civ IV (steam) to see if that helps. I will then run asset check and repost results.

8. dronad

dronad Chieftain

I think maybe this issue stems from the BtS steam download... You are telling me to put the file here:

/Users/dronad/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization iv/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/

But I can only put the file here:

/Users/dronad/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/

or here:

/Users/dronad/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization iv/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/

there is no folder Beyond the Sword in my sid meier's civilization iv folder :(

Does this mean that I am out of luck for BotM? Maybe I can try vanilla GotM and see what happens...

9. AlanH

1. Please can you try dragging the following folder to the AssetsChecker window and rechecking?

/Users/dronad/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword/

2. I assume you have tried the fix described above (post #83 and #77)?

10. dronad

dronad Chieftain

Wow, success! Thank you, I would never have gotten it without help.

11. Vaidd

Vaidd Worker

Going waaaaay back to the first page of this thread...

Any chance that we will someday be able to enter the Hall of Fame? I'd really love to be able to.

I suspect the answer is will remain "no" since it hasn't ever been "yes," but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyway, thanks for the work you've done. At least I can try my hand at the BotM now.

12. AlanH

Correct. There's no chance now that Aspyr will ever release a version of Cv4 that's compatible with Windows DLLs, so MacBUFFY will never meet the requirements of theHOF competition.

13. Carazycool

Carazycool Chieftain

I had previous been playing BOTM games on my PC but I am now using a mac. I downloaded Civ IV BTS from Steam and downloaded MacBUFFY. I get that "protected file" error message and i cannot open the BOTM saved game. When I run the assets checker it says I have lots of errors in "...sid meier's civilization beyond the sword/warlords/assets" folder. is this because id didn't download warlords? i only downloaded BTS.

14. AlanH

The most significant error in your Assets Check result is:

Code:

File Size Error: /Users/jean/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Python/Screens/CvExoticForeignAdvisor.py

This is a result of a known difference between the Steam and DVD releases of BtS. post #77 includes my copy of that file, and the posts around that part of this thread discuss the issue.

If you download my copy and replace your existing copy with it, then that may be all you need to do to get MacBUFFY to work for you.

Let me know how it goes.

15. Carazycool

Carazycool Chieftain

hey it worked! thanks alan!

16. mazdaspeed3

mazdaspeed3 Chieftain

Gentlemen,

This is the 1st time I've tried out a BoTM game and I'm having some issues.

I have an issue, I have downloaded the MacBuffy mod and put it in Documents/Civ4beyondthesword/mods file. I load up the game and select advanced/load a mod and macbuffy is there. I load it up and my game restarts no problem. This is where I begin to run into problems... I picked my save for BOTM 51 and put it in my single player save folder... I click on it to load and it tells me I need to use MacBuffy and needs to reload but I'm already in MacBuffy. So the game starts to reload which I'm assuming it probably shouldn't and then I get this error message in a new window pop up before it reloads. MOD ERROR "Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003/ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring." so I click okay and it trys to relaod. It won't load up and the process repeats itself until I cancel out of the repeating circle.

Thanks for any help

17. AlanH

Hi

MacBuffy needs to be installed in the /Applications path, not the ~/Documents/ path. See instructions in the first post, and details in posts around #58 in this thread. Please try that and report back if you still have problems.

18. mazdaspeed3

mazdaspeed3 Chieftain

I have put the MacBUFFY mod into the applications/civ4/beyondthesword/mods file... it's in there with broken star, defense, crossroads of the world, final frontier, gods of old etc etc. I then ran MacAssetsCheck and it's telling me that I'm missing this "/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/MacBUFFY-3.19.003".

I don't understand though as I can clearly see it in there. I can also load up the MacBUFFY mod from my advanced settings and start a new game. I just can't load up the saved BOTM game out of my saved file.

Thanks in advance for any help. I really wish I was more computer savvy.

19. AlanH

Are you running the DVD installation or the Steam version?

Are you sure that you have not renamed the MacBUFFY-3.19.003 folder in any way?

20. mazdaspeed3

mazdaspeed3 Chieftain

I'm running the DVD version. I've had it for years, been playing civ for what seems like forever. I am positive I haven't re-named it, I just downloaded it and dragged it into the mods folder.