1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

MacBUFFY

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by AlanH, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Gasp

Gasp Chieftain

Hi, sorry I didn't see someone replied here!

I have the same error everyone has in BTS: "The file you have selected is protected..."

I should mention that I'm using BUG Mod in Custom Assets. Maybe this can cause an error too?
    It's my understanding that our file in the directory steamapps/common/... should not be modified and I'm good as MacAssets shows but nothing is said about what is under Documents/Civ IV BTS. Shall I also delete this to start fresh? or is it (as I believe) not having any incidence on the problem?

I never installed (from Steam) the vanilla version, shall I do it or it won't sole the problem?

Finally I read something about a beta mode in Steam. I think this only apply to windows users because there's no way for me to chose the beta option in Steam: it says NONE and i can't pick something else.

2. Fogelhaus

Fogelhaus Chieftain

I'm not entirely sure i got the Buffy mod working 100%.
    I get the error message saying the BUG dll file couldn't be found but from what I read that is to be expected as the DLL doesn't work for mac. Is there any workaround for this?

I can't seem to get the hammer overflow to gold thing working. Is that fix supposed to be part of the Buffy mod, do I have to install another mod for that or is that fix part of the dll file that doesn't work for mac?

3. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Sorry, I've only just seen this reply :(

BUG Mod in Custom Assets is probably not a good idea, as it attempts to load every time you start up and could interfere with MacBUFFY.

I wouldn't do any harm.

Yes, that's Windows only.

4. AlanH

Are you sure you installed MacBUFFY? It sounds as if you are trying to run the Windows BUFFY mod.

5. Fogelhaus

Fogelhaus Chieftain

I have macBUFFY.
    I installed it but I noticed a lot of the BUG settings on the in game menu were disabled (greyed out). I tried to have BUG run automatically when starting the game by making a BUG Mod folder, copying files to custom assets. I thought that was what was keeping everything from working but maybe I made it worse.
    Is there a way to get all the disabled settings working on mac?

EDIT: I had BUFFY installed on my old computer (PC) and when I installed BUFFY on my Mac now I noticed a lot of functions were missing so I thought I hadn't installed everything correctly.

6. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I've not used BUFFY. However, I do use BUG. Assuming that the BUFFY BUG menus are the same as the plain BUG ones, the greyed out options are the ones that are activated by BULL, which won't run on a Mac. I also have the Windows version installed on a Parallels virtual Windows 7 on my Mac. When I use that, the same BUG menu options are greyed out as on the Mac version of BUG. If I run BULL on the Windows installation then the greyed out ones are active. FWIW, I have decided that I don't much like what BULL does anyway, so I use BUG on both machines.

7. AlanH

If you have BUG installed in custom assets then it always loads, for every game. If you also try to run MacBUFFY, you will probably generate conflicts. I think you will have to remove BUG from custom assets if you want to run MacBUFFY.

8. obsolete

obsolete Chieftain

I thought I would give the old game a run again...
    Problem is I don't want this Buffy stuff. I just wanted the simple old Bug Mod. But every time I go to sourceforge to get the zip folder, it gives me a BatMod_10 folder.

Am I missing the obvious?

9. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Have you tried this address? http://civ4bug.sourceforge.net/BUGMod.html

If that does not work for you and you want to give me an email address, I can email you the file: BUGMod_4.4.zip

Either way, you have to do a minor edit of the BUG code in order for it to work on a Mac:

"
    You have to edit the Python file:

/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUG Mod/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py
    and delete line 699.

If you don't have a text editor with line numbers, just search for, and delete, the line:

newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__
    "

(Info in the quotes above was originally posted by AlanH)

10. obsolete

obsolete Chieftain

Seems we may still have the wrong files indexed at Sourceforge... not the first time I had this issue.

Private message sent.