MadDjinn - Help with America?

The dead give-away that MadDjinn is Canadian is his pronunciation of "Iroquois". Americans say, "Eer-eh-koy" while French-Canadians say "eer-eh-kwah".

Also the place on his YouTube channel which says, "Country: Canada" is a pretty strong indicator of that, too.

well, it is 'kwah' if you hear them say it. :D

cheater!! how dare you read my YouTube channel for information! :mischief: heh...

Mad Djinn's pronunciation of "again" in his videos immediately gave him away as Canadian.

not sure how you got that one though, 'again' - 'ah-GAIN' 'ah-'ginn' er or something.

Canada, evidently. Crap. I thought I could tell the difference. I guess my friends here are "Americanized" Canadians.

My version of Cdn english comes from living in most of it. So I probably grabbed a few pronunciations from here and there. Mainly south-east ontario thing though, so it's not that bad that you might have thought 'british' due to me actually being able to pronounce things correctly and use real words ;) (unless on purpose)

So, they added Canada as playable Civ? Did i miss a DLC?
...oh, wait, i didn't :D. Back to topic please.

What was the topic? Everything seemed on topic, 'cept for the moderator actually trolling!!!

Where's Camikaze!!!! :lol:

Where's Camikaze!!!! :lol:

You called? :hammer:

_____

Moderator Action: Just to make sure what The_J was saying is clear...please let's move back to discussing strategy, eh? You're very welcome to continue other conversations via VM, PM, IM, or even in OT, eh? :)

_____

Moderator Action: Just to make sure what The_J was saying is clear...please let's move back to discussing strategy, eh? You're very welcome to continue other conversations via VM, PM, IM, or even in OT, eh? :)

Got me laughing today. :)

Anyone have fun messing with minutemen? I've never really tried messing with muskets since I haven't really played France nor did I find the time to try out Janissary pushes, but Minutemen seem like an easy way of getting some late game units with either Blitz or March.

Got me laughing today. :)

Anyone have fun messing with minutemen? I've never really tried messing with muskets since I haven't really played France nor did I find the time to try out Janissary pushes, but Minutemen seem like an easy way of getting some late game units with either Blitz or March.

I had a game where I just built a swarm of minutemen and ran around pillaging every single thing I could find. I got bored with that game and restarted with someone else, but they certainly seem good at that sort of thing. :)

_____

:mischief:just haveing some fun :goodjob:

anywhom...

Minutemen are decent, especially given their promotion.

I think you can still try a 'fast' Gunpowder rush if you use a few RAs and a GS to get you there. (Likely do '1/2 of the usual rush to Education, then switch to heading for gunpowder) I'd have to look into it.

But the tile purchase bit is a time saver really. High cost tiles are now cheaper, and low cost tiles are almost free. So you can buy all of the low cost tiles around a new city, then let the culture expansion finish all the high cost tiles. Given that you can somewhat estimate the time it'll take and number of 'cultured' tiles for the city over a game, you may have actually saved gold on paying maintenance for culture buildings. (maybe with the AW)

:mischief:just haveing some fun :goodjob:

anywhom...

Minutemen are decent, especially given their promotion.

I think you can still try a 'fast' Gunpowder rush if you use a few RAs and a GS to get you there. (Likely do '1/2 of the usual rush to Education, then switch to heading for gunpowder) I'd have to look into it.

But the tile purchase bit is a time saver really. High cost tiles are now cheaper, and low cost tiles are almost free. So you can buy all of the low cost tiles around a new city, then let the culture expansion finish all the high cost tiles. Given that you can somewhat estimate the time it'll take and number of 'cultured' tiles for the city over a game, you may have actually saved gold on paying maintenance for culture buildings. (maybe with the AW)

I usually go pretty science-centric, ie, take the normal Philosophy to Education path. Don't try for the Angkor Wat, it's right in the same time period I'm usually shooting for a typical Hagia Sophia -> Porcelain Tower sequence. (Not that difficult to pull off, pretty good return, so I need some sort of reason to switch to AW.) We could get to early gunpowder units faster but I think that'll slow down overall science and eventual B-17 acquisition enough that I don't try it. (Normal iron rush w/swordsmen on the closest civ, yeah.) That might be a mistake, the B-17's are so far out that it's a challenge to stay competitive long enough for them to be relevant.

But the suggestion to burn some of a theoretical scouting-based early cash advantage on low-return tiles is interesting, and the sort of thing I'm looking for. (ie, something different.) I'm not sure I get the strategic advantage there, though. Maybe mid-game with new cities? My problems are usually early-game.

The American UU's are nice now, no problem w/either of them (and the free Drill is nice) except for how late they arrive.

You know, as a side note, they say that they've removed the American river bias, but I'm seeing 2/3rds of my games start next to a river anyway. <shrug>

I usually go pretty science-centric, ie, take the normal Philosophy to Education path. Don't try for the Angkor Wat, it's right in the same time period I'm usually shooting for a typical Hagia Sophia -> Porcelain Tower sequence. (Not that difficult to pull off, pretty good return, so I need some sort of reason to switch to AW.) We could get to early gunpowder units faster but I think that'll slow down overall science and eventual B-17 acquisition enough that I don't try it. (Normal iron rush w/swordsmen on the closest civ, yeah.) That might be a mistake, the B-17's are so far out that it's a challenge to stay competitive long enough for them to be relevant.

But the suggestion to burn some of a theoretical scouting-based early cash advantage on low-return tiles is interesting, and the sort of thing I'm looking for. (ie, something different.) I'm not sure I get the strategic advantage there, though. Maybe mid-game with new cities? My problems are usually early-game.

The American UU's are nice now, no problem w/either of them (and the free Drill is nice) except for how late they arrive.

You know, as a side note, they say that they've removed the American river bias, but I'm seeing 2/3rds of my games start next to a river anyway. <shrug>

well, early wonders are generally important. So being able to buy cheap forests to chop for the early wonders can be very useful. (25g for a forest on hill = 20 hammers now and a little more later with a mine)

also buying the cheap plains/grass tiles between the city and horses/iron help focus the culture. Spending 70g to get 2 tiles (includes 4 horses) 20 turns ahead of natural culture expansion = more gold from sales. (or earlier rush)

So it can be fairly cheap. Maybe going Stonehenge/AW can cause some troubles there (faster expansion means less chance for the UA to work) but whatever saves you cash. (also gives a GE soon enough)

I've gotten the Great Library by turn 31 due to 25g->20h for a few tiles. Could have been faster had I gone to Aristocracy or stole a 3rd worker. It means a few less RAs or purchase of a building, but getting the GL that early (means Philosophy and RAs 10 turns earlier) helps a lot.

Top Bottom