[MOD] MagisterModmod

A horse turns into a nightmare. A cow turns into an evil cow. Characters who aren't evil can lose production on hell terrain. I'm not sure on all the effects. Civopedia should have entries for the effects of hell terrain types. If not, you can learn about them through the world builder.

I haven't had that random event. Most of them don't do you any real harm. They just add a bit of randomness to the game.

The Caswallawn is a unique upgrade for an Amurite Archmage (or maybe wizards can get it too, but i don't think so). The civilopedia should list the effect, but basically they get metamagic affinity. It is gained via repeating the Cave of Ancestors trial you get via the named amurite building - it (the trial) also gives a chance for random promotion or killing the unit attempting the trial.

Scavenger is a promotion available to certain leaders - if i recall right, the Doviello leaders and maybe Clan, i don't remember exactly. On the leader card, it should state what units get the promotion.

Spirit 2 linking to Courage is definitely wrong. It should let you cast the Hope spell in cities, giving culture and happiness bonus (and, i think, applying Courage to units built in the city).
Diligence sounds like it suffers from a similar bug in the pedia. It gives a percentage bonus to production, and i believe gold although i've honestly always used it for the production bonus (as i tend to have a 'city mage' garrisoned in any city to boost it up by a good margin)

14) The Warcry Hippus World Spell says it "Grants the Warcry PROMOTION". When I go to Promotions, it isn't there.
So, I went back to the Warcry Spell and it's link went to EFFECTS.
15) Trust, says it requires the Council of Esus Religion and that it "Raises other leaders attitudes towards you"
By how much? +1 Relations?, +3? No idea. Can't find it listed under spells or effects.
16) Under Races; Demon, Dwarf, Elf, Orcish and Undead all say that they are immune to their respective Slaying promotions.
Why? Isn't that the purpose of Demon Slaying, Dwarf Slaying, Elf Slaying, Orcish Slaying and Undead Slaying?
If all of those races are immune, then what are those promotions good against?
The others don't mention it. So for example, Race: Dragon, does not list "Immune to the Dragon Slaying Promotion" in the Civilopedia.

Last edited:
Well.... To some extent you'll have to accept that the Fall From Heaven mods are all being done by hobbyists, and not by professionals. So they don't necessarily fill in all the details. No one is getting paid for this work. It's all what people do for their own enjoyment. So you sometimes might just have to live with these things.

Oh yea, I understand. I remember reading that the original creator got hired to create a similar product for sale. A real paying job. For Stardock if I remember correctly. :) Good for him.
I just thought I'd add these things as I discover them. Otherwise they might be skipped in any new revision. If there is one.
Such as:
I am the first to research the Warhorses tech and I receive a free Warhorse. I assumed this would be the standard generic Warhorse, but I got a Named one called Nikis. I don't know if this is a random name or the specific one for Hippus, but he is a Wind Knight with an extra 20% more withdrawl rate. Nice. :)
17) Nikis has listed "Garrison Value: 6" listed. Is this like a Great Commander Army group or something? Nikis isn't listed in the Civilopedia under Units or Hippus. Also no information about it under Wind Knight or Knights. Just the Magnadine Unique Wind Knight Unit, which I can still build.

Last edited:
To clarify the race Slaying, it means they cannot get the Promotion - an Elf cannot get Elf Slaying, for example. Due to the way promotions work, this is displays very strangely - they still take bonus damage from Slaying as appropriate.

As for Nikisknight, it is just a unique name for the first knight created, named in homage of the same-named creator for popular FFH maps (i believe the mod-included FFH world map feat. all civs is made by him, and edited for the modmod by MC).

Him being a Wind Knight would be because you are Hippus - for all others, he should be a regular Knight.

I am the first to research the Warhorses tech and I receive a free Warhorse. I assumed this would be the standard generic Warhorse, but I got a Named one called Nikis. I don't know if this is a random name or the specific one for Hippus, but he is a Wind Knight with an extra 20% more withdrawl rate. Nice. :)
17) Nikis has listed "Garrison Value: 6" listed. Is this like a Great Commander Army group or something? Nikis isn't listed in the Civilopedia under Units or Hippus. Also no information about it under Wind Knight or Knights. Just the Magnadine Unique Wind Knight Unit, which I can still build.

There's a few units, the player (or AI) which gets the first one in the game, that first one has a name. Knight and Archmage. It doesn't matter which civ gets them, they get the named unit. It is otherwise no different from the other units (you can give any unit a name, if you want).

Garrison value is a recent addition, and you'll have to get Magister to explain how it's calculated. But a knight would have a fairly low one, for mounted units do not get a fortification bonus. So they make poor garrison units.

To clarify the race Slaying, it means they cannot get the Promotion - an Elf cannot get Elf Slaying, for example. Due to the way promotions work, this is displays very strangely - they still take bonus damage from Slaying as appropriate.
Wait. So the Elves and Svarts can't take Elf Slaying to better fight each other? Weird, but ok. And the same for the 2 dwarf race empires. Alright, good to know.

As for Nikisknight, it is just a unique name for the first knight created, named in homage of the same-named creator for popular FFH maps (i believe the mod-included FFH world map feat. all civs is made by him, and edited for the modmod by MC).
Him being a Wind Knight would be because you are Hippus - for all others, he should be a regular Knight.
The Civilopedia has Wind Knights listed as 11/7 strength and 35% Withdraw rate. Nikis has this (well +2 more for Iron Weapons that I have now, which is expected) and a 55% Withdraw rate.
IDK, Perhaps the base Withraw rate was increased over the years and the Civilopedia wasn't updated. I won't know that until I build my first Wind Knight.

Garrison value is a recent addition, and you'll have to get Magister to explain how it's calculated. But a knight would have a fairly low one, for mounted units do not get a fortification bonus. So they make poor garrison units.
Actually, if I'm not totally wrong, garrison value was always there behind the scenes even in Vanilla, and is simply what determines how much a unit decreases the revolt probability in cities that have a chance of flipping culturally. All Magister did was expose that value for the player to see in-game instead of having to look it up in the XML.

Actually, if I'm not totally wrong, garrison value was always there behind the scenes even in Vanilla, and is simply what determines how much a unit decreases the revolt probability in cities that have a chance of flipping culturally. All Magister did was expose that value for the player to see in-game instead of having to look it up in the XML.
Thanks. That was confusing.
Do the other units that don't have it listed, have a garrison value of 1?
I would think Heroes have a higher value too.
There are probably others that need it unhidden as well.

I'd assume they have a value of 0. You can check in Assets\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml.

The Civilopedia has Wind Knights listed as 11/7 strength and 35% Withdraw rate. Nikis has this (well +2 more for Iron Weapons that I have now, which is expected) and a 55% Withdraw rate.
IDK, Perhaps the base Withraw rate was increased over the years and the Civilopedia wasn't updated. I won't know that until I build my first Wind Knight.
windknights have 11/7 & 35%withdrawal in civilopedia.
however you'll get a +20%widthdrawal due to having the "horselord" trait which applies to all and any mounted hippus unit.
said bonus is on the "hippus" page / or leader pages (?) of the civilopedia and not on the unit pages. (like the "sinister" of the svartalfar or "precision (?)" of ljosalfar).

for the "promotions"..
their are 2 things in play:
- link issue : when the spell/ability has the same name as the effect/promotion sometimes the link is broken
- categories : depending on the FFH modmods (and iirc in magisters) promotions in the civilopedia are split in parts : "promotions" being the one that can be "bought" on level up and "effects" the ones that can only be earned in other ways: being subject to a spell/ability, being built by a specific civ/leader / being built in a specific city, being attacked by a unit with a specific promotion/effect ...Etc
therefore it seems coherent that the "warcry promotion" resulting from using the warcry world spell is found in "effects".

windknights have 11/7 & 35%withdrawal in civilopedia.
however you'll get a +20%widthdrawal due to having the "horselord" trait which applies to all and any mounted hippus unit.
said bonus is on the "hippus" page / or leader pages (?) of the civilopedia and not on the unit pages. (like the "sinister" of the svartalfar or "precision (?)" of ljosalfar).
Horselord in the Civilopedia says +1 Speed, +10% Withdraw, +1 Strength. So that would account for 10% of the 55% that I am seeing.

for the "promotions"..
their are 2 things in play:
- link issue : when the spell/ability has the same name as the effect/promotion sometimes the link is broken
Yea. Those just have to be found and fixed.

- categories : depending on the FFH modmods (and iirc in magisters) promotions in the civilopedia are split in parts : "promotions" being the one that can be "bought" on level up and "effects" the ones that can only be earned in other ways: being subject to a spell/ability, being built by a specific civ/leader / being built in a specific city, being attacked by a unit with a specific promotion/effect ...Etc
therefore it seems coherent that the "warcry promotion" resulting from using the warcry world spell is found in "effects".
This sounds like when we look up the word "level" in AD&D and finding 4 or 5 definitions. LOL.
I guess to me it would make things simpler to just use one word to mean one thing.
Since Warcry is an Effect, then list it as such and remove the word "promotion" from any text. Problem solved.
We know it's not a promotion that anyone can promote their unit to.

18) Under Effects: "Cannot Cast Spells", sounds scary. I wouldn't want to encounter that. It doesn't list what causes it though.
19) Also under Effects: "Eremite" has nothing listed in the Civilopedia on who to get it. Click on the promotion's link and what it opens is blank.

I wish there was a counter section. So for example, under "Held", we could quickly find out what we have to do to solve this in game. Maybe by casting Dispel Magic. I don't know.

Last edited:
Is there a way to prevent the AI's units from using Inquisition on my cities and still keep Open Borders with them?

Horselord in the Civilopedia says +1 Speed, +10% Withdraw, +1 Strength. So that would account for 10% of the 55% that I am seeing.
sorry for the mistake... i'm probably mixing up with another modmod :)
could their be another effect :
a possibility : "raider" trait gives the "commando" promotion which, in some Modmods, can be found with +10% withdrawal (in some other modmods its a FS chance)

otherwise, "homeland" also gives 10%widthdrawal... so a Leader could give you that (but the regular hippus leaders Tasunka/ Roanna don't give Homeland)

otherwise, I don't know, I don't have the xml for magister with me... and that's the only thing that could help me help you ;) (I only have Emm / Rife xml... which are different from magister's)

Sry. I guess I should have mentioned that. My leader is Rhoanna of Hippus [EXP/FIN].
So no bonuses from leader traits for units.

Last edited:
Now, if can get a the Great Wall brought back as a National Wonder and customized for the different empires as much as possible, (Illian's Wall of Ice, Elve's Wall of Thorns, Dwarves wall of Earth, Amurites Wall of Magic, Caliban's Wall of Dead on stakes, etc). That would be great! :)

Hi, I don't know if this was said in some previous page, but I will write anyway. The Radiant Guard scenario is not working. Every time I try to play, it begins with the message of my defeat.

Greetings and Salutations!

Is this mod still supported technically?
I want to play the KE map/ scenario but it crashes on turn 1 after barbarian move. Other scenarios seem to work fine.
I have the log files but cant figure them out.
Seems like an excellent mod tho.

I still playtest the game on occasion and have been trying to identify the source of common crashes, but I really don't have a clue as to what has been causing them since the last couple MNAI updates.

------------

What would people think if I decided to undergo a major change in how the magic system works, to bring it more in line with how Kael described magic on reddit recently?
https://www.reddit.com/r/fallfromheaven/comments/a5nbqn/magic_of_fall_from_heaven/

It is a major renovation that I would have to test a lot before releasing, and may very well decide is not a good idea, but I am considering making it so that arcane units no longer have access to learning spell sphere promotions in all spheres but instead are randomly assigned 1 to 3 spell spheres based on the mana you control at the time they are trained. If I do this I might make the spells themselves stronger, or make each spell sphere promotion grant +1 affinity in that mana type, or make the spell spheres dependent on new affinity-granting promotions (so as not to give extra strength from affinity to all the unique units that start with the spell-granting spell sphere promotions).

I might then make it so that the Tower of Mastery no longer grants channeling 3, but a new prereq promotion that allows adepts to learn all spell spheres like they could before.

Govanon's ethics would still spread magical aptitude, but would have to also randomly give units their own spell sphere rather than whatever the teacher knew.

Top Bottom