Major Discoveries on Charm... CHARM WORKS

The difference between field guns and siege engines?

Of course then the question becomes how to get the AI to use field guns on units outside of cities, and how to use siege weapons on cities and infrastructure.

Quite. It's frustrating that the AI is happy to move these charm artillery around the map, but will almost never take normal artillery out of it's cities. Come on Firaxis how hard would it have been to program the AI to move artillery around and bombard units/cities with it. Sigh.

Cheers

Nick

Charm sea units and air units cannot damage any other units as well... they can only bombard and destroy buildings when a Charm Barrier building is present.

The good part is: Naval units can still be naval power and attack other sea units, so this would be useful thing to have subs and TB's as, of course roads mines and irrigation can still be hit. Air units can still do all air missions, recon, air superiority, so charm could be used for certain types of aircraft where it's preferred they target only industry and not units.

I also tested multiple buildings with Charm Barrier, and buildings will continue to be destroyed until all Charm Barrier buildings are destroyed. Sometimes though, it is mixed; such as Charm buildings being destroyed before other normal buildings.

Also, AI does build Charm units, although I have not tested how much influence Charm has on the AI to make them instead of normal units.

Tom

Try it this way around: all but one of the buildings are Charm barriers.

It could be interesting for strategic bombers such as B29 that could only damage cities, while the tactical bombers would be used against units.
Beside that, I don't really see a practical use.

That's because the idiots at Firaxis never bothered to chip out loose ends. :wallbash:

Not to sound stupid, but precisely what are you talking about. I have looked at the Artillery unit using both the standard editor and Steph's, and see nothing about Charm. Nor do I see anything with respect to Charm in the building data.

Weird random thought - link the charm flag with the teleportation flag in the right combination & you could have the "magic" units only attacking the "magic" buildings.

Another weird random thought: if one were simply to add the "Charm" ability to an otherwise regular artillery unit, how would the behavior of the artillery be affected? Would it move and attack more aggressively?

Best,

Oz

Charm and teleportation, among a campaign selector box, and some other things were found in the hacked editor. Searching for hacked editor will find other threads relating to this.

Haven't had much time to do additional tests. But adding Charm to regular artillery is what makes the artillery attack aggressively, but they cannot hit units, only Charm Barrier buildings. Same with adding Charm to regular ships, air units.

It's likely that a unit with teleportation and charm would act the same way, it would be able to teleport to telepads, and could destroy buildings with Charm Barrier.

So far, it seems that is pretty much the final conclusion, unless some combination of flags changes things.

Final Conclusion so far:
Charm units can destroy Charm Barrier Buildings, and may destroy other buildings until all Charm Buildings are destroyed.

Tom

Okay, having established that charmed artillery will target charmed buildings, and have apparently no effect on units....

then:

How do "charmed" buildings fare against regular artillery or bombardment?

How do "charmed" skirmishing units fare against regular skirmishing units?

Ditto ranged units....

If you have a "charmed" building or unit in a city under regular attack, does the "charmed" unit or building last any longer in battle? Can it take a nuke?

Or is this just simply:

Charmed unit, building --> more effective against ---> Charmed unit, building
Un-charmed unit ---> more effective against ---> Un-charmed units
Uncharmed unit, building --> less effective against ---> Charmed units, buildings

It would explain why the AI started using the charmed artillery, particularly if the artillery piece was the only charmed piece available to it. If that is true, the AI must be getting instructed to, "use a charmed piece against another charmed piece".

Okay, having established that charmed artillery will target charmed buildings, and have apparently no effect on units....

then:

How do "charmed" buildings fare against regular artillery or bombardment?

How do "charmed" skirmishing units fare against regular skirmishing units?

Ditto ranged units....

If you have a "charmed" building or unit in a city under regular attack, does the "charmed" unit or building last any longer in battle? Can it take a nuke?

Or is this just simply:

Charmed unit, building --> more effective against ---> Charmed unit, building
Un-charmed unit ---> more effective against ---> Un-charmed units
Uncharmed unit, building --> less effective against ---> Charmed units, buildings

It would explain why the AI started using the charmed artillery, particularly if the artillery piece was the only charmed piece available to it. If that is true, the AI must be getting instructed to, "use a charmed piece against another charmed piece".

I will do some more testing tonight on these, as well as the other excellent ideas brought forth. It may just be that normal artillery, or even strategic bombing may not be able to target Charmed buildings.

And if Charmed buildings were safe from nukes, that would IMO be a good thing, as those could act as nuke safe bunkers e.g.

Tom

Timerover51: I answered in post 30, sorry if I was unclear... The hacked editor found Charm and Teleportation abilities that could be enabled for units and buildings. The charmed function was thought to do nothing, but it seems to have an effect on units, although it may be somewhat limited from what we know so far.

I provided the link in the above post #30 to the hacked editor. Steph is working on seeing if he can incorporate the Charm and Teleportation abilities into his editor also.

Tom

Hacked editor? I remember having seen references to that before.

What happens if you try to open a biq file that has been modified through that into the regular editor? Similarly, do you need to have the hacked editor loaded to play the game?

And no, you were not clear on your previous post. I assumed that my question was being ignored.

It could be interesting for strategic bombers such as B29 that could only damage cities, while the tactical bombers would be used against units.
Beside that, I don't really see a practical use.

The B-29 was used extensively during the Korean War as a tactical bomber in support of troops, much to the dismay of diehard strategic bombing enthusiasts in the newly independent US Air Force. Since the Vietnam War, the B-52 has been used in a tactical role as well, as it is unsurpassed as a long-range and accurate bomb truck. The B-2, on the other hand, is pretty much useless for any tactical support role.

Hacked editor? I remember having seen references to that before.

What happens if you try to open a biq file that has been modified through that into the regular editor? Similarly, do you need to have the hacked editor loaded to play the game?

And no, you were not clear on your previous post. I assumed that my question was being ignored.

I am not overly familiar with how all that works... I do know this though, the hacked editor is exactly the same as the normal editor, only better because it shows Charm and Teleportation. There are no other issues with it, and all works fine in game. You do not need the hacked editor to play games made with it.

I do not know what happens if the normal editor is used to make changes to a BIQ that was made with the hacked editor ?? :) It is possible that any units or buildings that had charm or teleportation functions may no longer have them if saved in the normal editor. <--- This is probably known, only I don't have the answer to it.

Tom

I do not know what happens if the normal editor is used to make changes to a BIQ that was made with the hacked editor ??
From what I have seen posted the hacked editor must be used last, iirc.

Top Bottom