1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Mali Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 8, 2019.

1. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

Seems like a small penalty seeing as how you'll have enough money to purchase everything.

Reminds me a lot of the Cree in that it has a lot of gold but not a clear victory skew.

2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Those mines that lose one hammer also get +4 gold.

3. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

The focus on maluses for these new civs is definitely a change of direction from the previous civs.

Babri, Our_DeCay, bbbt and 4 others like this.
  4. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Should be easy enough to secure Earth Godess which synergize well with the rest. Apart from desert having crap appeal...

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  5. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

-30% production when constructing buildings or training units. All Mali's wonderful bonus cannot pay for this. Basically you spend 42% more production on all buildings and units, unless you buy it, which will cost you 400% gold, which you can hardly afford. (The monument, granary, library, university cost altogether 1860 gold, for every city. Suppose you have 20 cities, do you have 37,200 gold?)

Born on desert, with -30% production. Hope that -30% does not apply to chop.

Why do they insist on making negative Civs whose positive side cannot recover their negative side!

Very good and useful UU and UD, and other parts of UA. but everything becomes a joke when you see "-30% production when constructing buildings or training units".

With the heavy malus, maybe this Civ is even unable to defend early Barbarian Camps

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Tiger Genocide likes this.
  6. h0nk0815

h0nk0815 Chieftain

So Mali will have to swap production with gold and faith. Will be hard in the early turns, while you can't rush buy: -30% on Slinger, Builder or Settler - ouch! You will be behind in the first rounds and have to close the gap with gold. And thankfully you can, becuase you get a discount from your UD. I like this design.

7. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

If I compare the background with the snippet teaser, I can't find the "window" in the video...

This civ will be very fun to play. It might turn out to be a bit of a one trick pony (beeline HS and CH), but I'm not sure I will be able to get the most out of it in the first try/tries.

Definitely will go for the buy districts promotion with Mansa at some point and buy my first spaceport ever ;-)

8. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

I love pretty much everything about this design. The leader animation looks fantastic. It offers a completely fresh take on gameplay that I can really see matching or surpassing the traditional meta and yet conflicts with it pretty heavily. The theming is a bit one note, but absolutely perfect as well. This is what was missing from R&F. Civs with unique gameplay!

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I likey likey. It will definitely alter my gamestyle since I tend to hard build a lot of buildings. In this case, it seems foolish to hard build buildings with that huge production penalty. I'm still not sure how best to use them (other than gold and faith generation of course), but I look forward to trying them out.

10. Steamboat Willem

Steamboat Willem Chieftain

Yep, the only thing you build after you get Currency is the Suguba, because you can buy other districts once you have that, and you use your production to run Commercial Hub projects.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  11. Vizurok

Vizurok Magyar Soldier

I
    I don't think it works that way. I suppose that each triggered golden age increases your trade route capacity by one more trader permanently. So 4 golden ages in a game would provide you +4 trader slots in the last era.

Leyrann, Babri, Noble Zarkon and 9 others like this.
  12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I read that as they get +1 for each GA they have had.

13. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

That is a heck of a lot of gold. Every mine!

AvianBritish, VermelhoRed and Hawke9 like this.
  14. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Hmm, I'm not loving the limitations here. Otherwise, they're probably in my top 3 civs from GS.

Tiger Genocide and TahamiTsunami like this.
  15. DeepKing

DeepKing Chieftain

I like it a lot. By the Medieval Era you will literally be swimming in gold.

The reductions people are talking about seem far less a problem when Mali is set to, and encouraged to, use their gold to directly purchase districts and buildings. The lower mine production (which is basically one of the only sources of yields in deserts) does hit, but the gold yield does help and they did warn us their would be some civs with pullbacks. I think you'll be building a lot of IZ and using Magnus a ton.

Also, I got my Cavalry - I'm all about this!

16. Emilqt

Emilqt Chieftain

t
    they are changing how floodplains work in GS, not they are not desert specific and instead adjecant to all rivers and a indication where floods will happen

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Meluhhan, Julia97 and AvianBritish like this.
  17. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Chieftain

-30% production balancing with -20% purchase price in gold/faith. Your Trade Route capacity is enhanced EACH TIME you enter a golden age (which mean, if you have only one city with one market but you entered 3 golden ages in a row, you will have 5 TR capacity, as far as I understand). CH have bonus gold from HS and built in less time. Your cities will be in desert, so your TR will easily have a +7 gold besides the normal bonuses.

I know that there is a lot of drawbacks, but I think it's well balanced. IDK if it's enough, if it's too weak or too strong, but it's new and seems fun to play.

And I can guarantee we will have pages and pages of people complaining that Mali is "the worst CIV ever (after Maori, Canada and Georgia) because production loss!" because it does not fit their formated gameplays.

18. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

Very happy to see Mali again, I am very excited. As I love commercial civilizations, perhaps Mali is the first GS civ that I'm going to try.

Hopefully that wonder will be the Sankore Madrasah

AvianBritish and Guandao like this.
  19. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

I think they look terrific, and I'm seriously considering playing them first when GS comes out.

Haig and TahamiTsunami like this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

They're restrictions if you insist on playing them using the same building strategies you use for other civs.

CPWimmer, Laxley and TahamiTsunami like this.